Multicore PAR2 and OS X.

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
allan.nyholm

Multicore PAR2 and OS X.

Post by allan.nyholm »

Hello,

I'm new to this board but have used SABnzbd+ for some time. Today I decided to look for the multicore par2 binary for OS X and found it via a link in the Wiki for SABnzbd+. So far so good. it was the same place where the Linux multicore par2 can be found.

Now I want to use multicore par2 but each file I download says " filename .. Scanning ... " in the PAR2 stage. And then the file is being listed as "Completed" without the par2 stage being finished. I assume it never begins. I copied the relevant files to the SABnzbd+ app (app/Contents/Resources/osx/par2/) and entered -t0 in the parameter field under the switches page in SABnzbd+.

Do I delete the par2-classic executable and just leave the par2 executable in the directory.

I have to mention that I am using Snow Leopard right now. I wanted to see it the multicore par2 could speed things up a bit when repairing.

Should I just avoid this multicore par2 thing altogether with OS X?

Thanks for any insight to this matter.

Edited.. I am using SABnzbd+ version 0.4.11.
switch

Re: Multicore PAR2 and OS X.

Post by switch »

SABnzbd already comes with multicore par2 as standard, unless it was removed in one of the latest releases.
allan.nyholm

Post by allan.nyholm »

Okay,

Thanks for the reply.

Even though the par2 executable is called "par2-classic" it's still multicore? I read on the front page that multicore par2 for OS X had been removed because it caused to much trouble.
rAf

Post by rAf »

Hi,

I've made severals tests with par2 multicore and it seems that it cause more troubles than perfs...
So I've decided to remove it from OSX binary build.
You can put it on SABnzbd.app/Contents/Resources/osx/par2/ directory if you want to use it...
b1scu1t
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by b1scu1t »

Did you compile your own par2? or if not, can you tell me where you picked it up from, along with the rar too please.
rAf

Post by rAf »

unrar is the official binary from rarlabs, for par2, I think it's the one from MacPar Deluxe... but not sure.
OMEGA_ReD

Post by OMEGA_ReD »

there are 2 files in the SABnzbd.app/Contents/Resources/osx/par2/ directory:
par2-classic
par2-sl

I downloaded the multicore par2 file here: http://www.chuchusoft.com/par2_tbb/download.html

When i unpack it i get a file: par2

should i simply add it to the directory or replace one of the 2 existing(par2-classic/par2-sl) par2 files?

And is it needed to set "par2_multicore = 1" in the sabnzbd.ini file?

Thanks!
rAf

Post by rAf »

Hi,

Since 0.5.x, we've included a multicore par2 that works well on snow leopard.
I've tested chuchusoft par2, and included before in SABnzbd, but this par2 binary is causing some troubles so we decided to remove it from SABnzbd.

If you want to test, replace par2-sl by the chuchusoft par2 binary (just rename-it par2-sl), if you are using snow leopard.
OMEGA_ReD

Post by OMEGA_ReD »

Hi and thanks for your reply!

I have the latest version of SAB, is the multicore par2 enabled by default or are there some steps toe enable it?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

It's on by default.
rAf

Post by rAf »

and don't put anything in par2 options in config !
OMEGA_ReD

Post by OMEGA_ReD »

Thanks!! I will leave the config as it is!
ovq

Post by ovq »

Hi,

I know this thread is old, but I still can't figure out if Multi-Core Par is present in current SABnzbd builds.
In switches, it is disabled. I can enable the switch, but as soon as I restart SABnzbd, it is disabled again.

So now my questions are:
  • - is multicore par2 included in 0.7 builds?
    - if so, why does the par2 switch turn itself off after every restart of SABnzbd?
    - if not, what needs to be done to add it, or should I just leave it single core?
Thanks!
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Multi-core is still in.
I'm not sure why it is disabled every time.
On what kind of hardware are you running it and under which OSX version?
redcell

Post by redcell »

I have the same issues on osx yosemite 10.10.1 on a macmini 2014, whenever sabnzbd starts extracting a downloaded file, my system gets really slow, chrome and other apps become unresponsive, xbmc/kodi stops playback and starts buffering for 30 secs or longer and the dreaded "spinning wheel" in osx shows when opening apps or browsing with chrome etc..
As soon as the extracting finishes everything goes back to normal again, I never had these problems before on my asrock 330 ION wich was running ubuntu, on much slower hardware, before I bought the macmini as a replacement for my htpc.. the really slow atom processor in the asrock ion was better in handling multitasking with unrar & par, then the i5 processor in the macmini lol, go figure...
By default in sabnzb settings, multicore par is greyed out in osx btw, so it cannot be changed. perhaps it can be activated by manually editing the sabnzbd config file with a text editor?
But it doesn't make sense, when mutlicore par is not activated wouldn't sabnzb (unrar and par task) use less resources because it only uses 1 core, instead of 2, so the system should have more "power/resources" 1 core free to do other tasks???
So it shouldn't freeze at all?? If you asign a task to more cores, more of the system resources are used for a specific taks, so other tasks get less priority hence the freezes?
At least this is how it worked on the asrock under ubuntu, by default if I remember correctly sabnzbd used multi core par/unrar, then I had hickups when watching video's in xbmc/kodi, so I set it to use 1 core only, this solved the hickups in xbmc/kodi under ubuntu lol.
On the asrock I could compile code and watch a movie in xbmc while sabnzbd was extracting files without a problem (also probably because of the famous 224 line code patch to the linux kernel in 2010 wich drasticly improved multitasking)
The weird thing is.. when using top or activity monitor to watch the processor usage of unrar, it is only up to 6 percent at most always during extracting and still osx becomes unresponsive... weird...
Only thing I can think of is the HDD usage causing osx to become unresponsive...
Last edited by redcell on January 21st, 2015, 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.