Extract first, then move

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
kosta88

Extract first, then move

Post by kosta88 »

Hello,
I'd like to know if it's possible to "tell" sabnzbd which is located on the server (ubuntu, docker) to first extract locally to the same server (NVME disk) and then move data into folders according to categories to the NAS?
Beside sab, I am using sonarr, radarr and plex for media management.
Thank you
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Extract first, then move

Post by safihre »

Why would you want to do that?
It will only make the process slower in total, since it's doing double the disk operations.
But if you really want it, use Sonarr and Radarr to move it to the final folder on the NAS.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
kosta88

Post by kosta88 »

Well, the whole process is definitely faster. It is a feeling more, than a scientific fact. Why/how double operations?
The only problem I currently have is that transferring of the file from the server to the NAS is quite slow, about 400mbit, although it's a gbit connection.
I am not able to explain it really, server is getting via NFS almost full 1000mbit.

For better understanding:
NAS is a file-storage.
Server with NVME is with ESXi, which has Ubuntu Server, who hosts Docker containers.
There is a mounted disk on Ubuntu Server, for downloads, repairing and extracting. While then lands into /data/sab/completed//music/tv/movies.
In each docker there is /local path, that corresponds to /data/sab//tmp/complete, and all see it as /local/tmp and /local/complete.
Sab, Sonarr, Radarr are all in their respective containers.
Sab downloads and extracts to the local disk, and after that, Radarr/Sonnar picks it up and startings importing.
And R/S see NAS via NFS share, which is basically (set in portainer) as tv_nas /tvshows

All works well, really apart from the copy-speed. Not sure why throttled.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

So instead of Sonarr /Radarr you'd like Sab to give it a try to do the move to the NAS? You think it would be faster than they could?
Because in the end, I think all products use the same underlying system calls. Maybe it's a lower level problem? Because the system can't "see" it's a network disk so it uses move operations designed for local disks.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
kosta88

Post by kosta88 »

No, I didn't say that. I didn't mention it, but I thought it was clear: my problem is solved, since Radarr/Sonarr do the job.

But yes, network problem remains, and I don't think it would make any difference whatsoever who transfers.
safihre wrote: February 8th, 2021, 1:10 pm Because the system can't "see" it's a network disk so it uses move operations designed for local disks.
Not sure what you are saying here. Doing move on server directly yields close to 1gbit. And if Radarr initiates, 400mbit. I simply don't understand the reason. Can you explain?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

We have noticed in SABnzbd that Python for example looks at the source and destination paths and based on that chooses the optimal transfer system calls. So when it does that, it doesn't always select the fastest one.
Both Python in SAB and mono for Sonarr/Radarr have an extra layer of abstraction on top of the system calls.
kosta88

Post by kosta88 »

The network problem has been solved, so maybe for the reference for others:
Previously I accessed the NAS via NFS in the docker directly. That was a bad idea.
Way better, speeds at 1000mbit and over according to ESXi:
Mounted the NAS directly in the Ubuntu server to /mnt/nas and then gave that to both Radarr and Sonarr.