remotely downloading onto NAS

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
JaysNAS

remotely downloading onto NAS

Post by JaysNAS »

Been looking arounf for this answer for several days now and only finding bits and pieces, but nothing that fully tells me if i can do want is below.

i have a NAS (Qnap, Intel based). which i use mostly for my media collection to use on plex. until a week ago i downloaded via NZB sites and SAB to PC and then transfered the media over to NAS. but then i was told about Sonarr and Radarr, which blow my mind lol.
anyways, now i have both them and SAB installed on NAS and have them automaticlly search for new media, download it, rename it, and put it in the correct folders. which plex then updates and boom, i have new content.

my issue tho is half my life im at work and wish to be able to do a few things from there..

1st, if i find a NZB i want to DL away from home (i.e. at work, or on phone etc) how can i send it to SAB on my home NAS?
i keep getting an answer that dropbox is best, which i have. however this has 2 issues. 1st i cannot seem to find dropbox on NAS. and a few verisons of it ive got hold of would not install. so installed on PC. but cannot seem to find a way to get NAS and PC to view that folder which is in Dropbox. when in SAB and looking in the "watch folder" part it only gives me places on the NAS.
so im stuck on this way.

and 2nd, i would love to have SAB, Sonarr and Radarr on my laptop at work but that are the same as the one on my NAS.
i can and have installed them as stand alone programs, but they have no asscess to the NAS ones and so i dont know what i have already got and not got.
plus if i use SAB on work laptop it ends up here. and i have to transfer it via USB. i can use the "myQNAPcloud" but takes forever to upload so no point.

i hope this is understandable. as you can see i am new to this field. but eggor to learn.

thank you in advance
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: remotely downloading onto NAS

Post by safihre »

They suggest Dropbox because this way you don't have to expose your NAS to the internet.
You can also use the myQNAPcloud, I imagine you can upload things to a file on your QNAP?
Then just set SABnzbd Watched Folder to a folder you can access from myQNAPcloud, then you upload the NZB to there and SABnzbd will download it.

If you really want full control, you will need to expose your NAS to the internet through your router. You can forward some ports to specific services so you can access them from http://PUBLIC_IP:port.
Make sure you set username/password for all exposed services..
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
JaysNAS

Post by JaysNAS »

Thanks for a reply.

The dropbox part i understand the reason, but, as stated above i cannot get it to work. so wanted help with that.

As for the myQNAPcloud, i have got that on my work laptop. but just takes several minutes to log on fully, so wanted a faster way. basiclly a folder on my laptop set up so i an just drag and drop NZBs into the folder, which SAB is watching, and then it does its job.
Getting the folder on desktop to be linked to my NAS at home is the trick.

And no i dont want to open NAS to the world.
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

JaysNAS wrote: February 11th, 2021, 7:17 amAnd no i dont want to open NAS to the world.
An often overlooked but simple and effective way: many indexers offer a 'shopping cart' for nzb files that they make available as an rss feed. Configure sab to read the cart rss feed; then access the indexer from anywhere and simply add stuff to the cart to get it picked up.
JaysNAS

Post by JaysNAS »

jcfp wrote: February 13th, 2021, 2:29 am
JaysNAS wrote: February 11th, 2021, 7:17 amAnd no i dont want to open NAS to the world.
An often overlooked but simple and effective way: many indexers offer a 'shopping cart' for nzb files that they make available as an rss feed. Configure sab to read the cart rss feed; then access the indexer from anywhere and simply add stuff to the cart to get it picked up.
Perfect!!! THANK YOU so much.

i use 3 indexers, planet, geek and finder (need invite from others and know idea how to ge them) anyways ive just did as you said on NZB Planet and worked perfectly.

not tried the other 2 but as long as one worked im happy.

cheers again