Decrease traffic priority in network

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
TheKidsWantDjent

Decrease traffic priority in network

Post by TheKidsWantDjent »

Hi,
is there a way to set the priority of any SABnzbd traffic in the local network to low, so that any other traffic is prioritized? Other people are using my internet connection and I don't want to block the whole bandwith. Currently I throttle the bandwith SABnzbd can use on my PC. But I'm looking for a way to use all the bandwith that is currently unused, instead of setting it to a fixed bandwith.

My router has the option to prioritize specific traffic, but in practice it doesn't really work that well. For instance, online games are still laggy, if I consume the whole bandwith with SABnzbd, even though gaming traffic is prioritized.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Decrease traffic priority in network

Post by sander »

looking for a way to use all the bandwith that is currently unused
That is very hard: How can SAB know what the unused bandwidth is? The only device that might know that, is the router. So ... can SAB ask your router for that information, each second ... ?

Oh, wait: are you really looking for 'a way to use all the bandwith that is currently unused'? AFAIK games don't use much bandwidth, but if much bandwidth is used by other app (like SAB), the connections gets saturated, the game's (low amount) traffic experiences delays as it gets queued causing extra milliseconds.

If you set your SAB bandwidth 50%, is that always OK for gamers in the house? Or 80%, or 30%? Can you try that?

In a real good setup, you should also measures if/when there are gamers active. Because (only?) then, you have throttle SAB back.

And maybe: SAB could monitor the ping time to a certain host (1.1.1.1 for example). If ping > x ms AND gamers active => throttle back SAB.
TheKidsWantDjent

Post by TheKidsWantDjent »

Well, the thing is, when I set the max bandwith to 50 %, it can still happen that someone else also downloads something at the same time. Even if he also throttles his download to 50 %, that would use up all the bandwidth.

So I was hoping that there would be some way for the router to safe some bandwidth that can only be used by time critical applications. Actually the prioritization that is built in in many routers today was invented for exactly that purpose, but it doesn't really work that well. But maybe it's something else that's causing the problem, when there is 100 % bandwidth usage.
In a real good setup, you should also measures if/when there are gamers active. Because (only?) then, you have throttle SAB back.
Is there a way my PC can know if someone in the network is playing a game?

The idea of measuring the ping is actually worth looking into. If I figure out something to implement this, I will report the results.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

If even your router can't do it, there is no hope you can do it from your PC
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

The best option is to use a router with OpenWRT and the traffic shaping it can do. An alternative is to reduce the number of connections a lot, ideally to only one or two. That way the buffers won't get saturated to the same degree. The drawback is that the transfer rate will always be low.
ng4ever

Post by ng4ever »

Why not update your internet speed tier if you can ?
ng4ever

Post by ng4ever »

Guess not.