Updating to 3.20 [before Win 8.1 , and/or 32-bit]

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
pauladkins

Updating to 3.20 [before Win 8.1 , and/or 32-bit]

Post by pauladkins »

I can't figure out how to update to 3.20. The window installers doesn't work with Windows 7. I did grab Windows Standalone (32bit and legacy), but there is no exe.
Puzzled

Re: Updating to 3.20

Post by Puzzled »

Yes, there is, I just checked. sabnzbd.exe. Do a search for *.exe in the folder after you unpack, and if you still can't see it then try downloading it again. Maybe you got a broken archive.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

To update on Windows 7, just stop sabnzbd, delete all the files from the folder:
C:\Program Files\SABnzbd
And then extract the content of the Standalone zip in that folder.
It might be in Program Files (x86).
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
pauladkins

Post by pauladkins »

I re downloaded it & the only exe showing is SABnzbd.exe.manifest or console. Both are 2kb I'll try replacing everything in the folder. Thank you for the help.
dmarook

Post by dmarook »

I am in a similar situation. I am running Sabnzbd as a 'windows service' in WHS2011 and is linked up with Radarr & Sonarr. The installar for 3.2.0 does not run stating that it needs Win 8.1 or newer to run.

I can see that the advise is to install the windows 32/ Legacy version. However that comes as a zip and not an installer. I can see the advice is to replace the files in the folder. I have a few questions regarding this and would appreciate some clrification if possible.

1) What I plan to do is -> stop windows service , replace files in folder, restart windows service. Is this the right thing to do? Do I need to change any settings regarding the 'windows service' side of things?

2) If i delete all the files in the folder to replace them with new files from the zip file, what happens to my settings? Do I need to set everything up everytime I do an update in this way or are the settings stored in a different place? This is one of my biggest worries and would make life really difficult!

3) WHS2011 is a 64 bit OS and there are 2 'Program Files' folder in the OS drive. 'Program Files' and 'Program Files (x86)'. My Sabnzbd folder is in the 'Program Files' folder, which I think is dedicated to 64bit programs. I suspect the 32 bit version of the Sabnzbd may have to be in the 'Program Files (x86)' folder? Or will it work anywhere?

As I have a functioning and smooth system running at present, I am just trying not to do someting that may break it. I would prefer to run the latest version of Sabnzbd if possible.

Many thanks in advance for any advice and guidance.

DM
bobbys

Post by bobbys »

safihre wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 2:28 am To update on Windows 7, just stop sabnzbd, delete all the files from the folder:
I renamed the original folder and copied the contents into the original folder.
When I try to run the executable I get the following error:
the program can't start because api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll is
missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
Any help ?
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

pauladkins wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 7:00 pm I re downloaded it & the only exe showing is SABnzbd.exe.manifest or console. Both are 2kb I'll try replacing everything in the folder. Thank you for the help.
That's strange. Is this the URL you are using? https://github.com/sabnzbd/sabnzbd/rele ... 32-bin.zip

Is it 16 690 969 bytes and has the CRC 32 value 2EFE2D6F?
pauladkins

Re: Updating to 3.20 [before Win 8.1 , and/or 32-bit]

Post by pauladkins »

Replacing the files worked. Hopefully the next update will have a Win 7 installer.
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

Maybe the file extensions were hidden?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

bobbys wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 11:44 am
safihre wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 2:28 am To update on Windows 7, just stop sabnzbd, delete all the files from the folder:
I renamed the original folder and copied the contents into the original folder.
When I try to run the executable I get the following error:
the program can't start because api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll is
missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
Any help ?
Seems you are running the 64bit standalone, not the 32bit one.
Are you sure you downloaded the right version?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
airguy

Post by airguy »

Am I understanding that if you have Windows 7 or WHS2011 (win versions prior to 8.1) that we can no longer run the 64-bit version of SABnzbd? Some of us were thinking the 64-bit installer wouldn't work, and then tried the 64-bit Standalone, as we have previously been using the 64 bit versions of SABnzbd prior to 3.20. So we need to revert back to a 32-bit version of SABnzbd from now on?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Yes. Python 3.9 dropped support for these old Windows versions (because Microsoft did!) so SABnzbd can't run on it unfortunately.. Not something we decided.

To still provide some support for these old Windows versions and people that for some special reason still run 32bit Windows we combined these things in 1 release that uses Python 3.8.

The other 99% of Sabnzbd users is on a supported operating system, so we don't want to force them to use an old Python version..
airguy

Post by airguy »

I run SABnzbd on WHS 2011 (Server 2008 R2). I am debating whether to just stay with the last 64-bit version (3.1.1) as it works fine, or upgrade past it with a 32-bit version. Would be main disadvantage of 32-bit be memory addressing limited to 4GB? Will all the new features of SABnzbd be available in the 32-bit versions in the future, or will python 3.8 eventually limit that? I am just trying to make some informed decisions. I really wish to stay with my current OS on the server.
Thanks.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Good questions.

"Would be main disadvantage of 32-bit be memory addressing limited to 4GB?"
I might hope SAB never uses more than 4 or even 2 GB. SAB runs on devices with 2GB or even 1GB RAM.

"Will all the new features of SABnzbd be available in the 32-bit versions in the future, or will python 3.8 eventually limit that?"
SAB requires Python 3.6, and uses feature that are in Python 3.6 (as that is the lowest Python that is supported). So with Python 3.8 you should be safe for some time: EoL is 14 Oct 2024.
But ... maybe, maybe, before that moment, there will be a great feature in Python 3.9 or 3.10 that is fantastic for SAB, and SAB sets that Python version as minimum ... Time will tell.

"just stay with the last 64-bit version (3.1.1) "
Newsgroup posts keep changing. So as soon as you have a problem and ask for help, the first reply will be "upgrade to current version"

So based on the above, I would go for the uptodate 32-bit-low-Windows version

"I run SABnzbd on WHS 2011 (Server 2008 R2). I really wish to stay with my current OS on the server.": Out of curiosity: why is that?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Agreed with all that Sander says!