Disk error on creating file = Errno 13

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
craytron

Re: Disk error on creating file = Errno 13

Post by craytron »

Realized I had some Windows updates pending. Installed all of those and that seemed to fix this issue.

Double-check your Windows updates if you're getting this error.
craytron

Post by craytron »

craytron wrote: March 27th, 2021, 12:27 pm Realized I had some Windows updates pending. Installed all of those and that seemed to fix this issue.

Double-check your Windows updates if you're getting this error.
Ok, nevermind. This issue is back. I have no idea what's going on nor how to fix this. I haven't changed ANYTHING in my setup for over a year and all of a sudden this error or "Errno" is happening every time. WTF?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Have you tried using a completely different folder?
Error 13 is about permissions, but could also indicate the file is in use. For example by a virusscanner.
Have you tried excluding the download folder from your virusscanner? Even Windows Defender you can define exclusions folders.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
fredddiedv

Post by fredddiedv »

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same behaviour after upgrading to the latest version.
Just pauses every few minutes downloading with error message about not being able to create file.

resuming allows it to continue downloading again for a few minutes, after it fails again on the next rar part and pasuses, resuming again works etc. eventually file gets downloaded but not really workable. Will try downgrading to see if that 'fixes' it.

Checked and have enough (500GB) free diskspace, first tried whitelisting processes and filters in windows defender, then even completely turned off windows defender (both virus and threat protection + app and browser control).
Also checked permissions on download folders, changing ntfs full control for everyone , but despite that issue persists.

Exract from logs:

Regards,
Fredddiedv
texasmcse

Post by texasmcse »

still happening. i've tried different folders, different drives, etc. cannot get this to work now and was working for years.
texasmcse

Post by texasmcse »

and i just upgraded to 3.2.1, still happens - had also tried it on RC1 same story
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

It's not a Sab thing, it's something on your computer. You can even try to use an older version of Sab, I'm pretty sure the exact same thing will happen.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
LoveSabnzbd

Post by LoveSabnzbd »

safihre wrote: April 17th, 2021, 4:07 am It's not a Sab thing, it's something on your computer. You can even try to use an older version of Sab, I'm pretty sure the exact same thing will happen.
Hi, I have been using SAB for years in a Windows VirtualBox guest on a Windows 10 host, where my download directory is on a USB drive (portable SSD). Actually everything is on the portable disk. Never had any problems, until now.

Recently the host was updated to Windows 10 version 1909. You are correct it is probably not SAB, since I have tried two different guest systems and SAB v3.2.1 in both 32 and 64 bit.

Something in windows 10 host has changed with the new version, that gives these "permission denied" errors in SAB. They are quite random, since sometimes it downloads for a minute, other times it downloads only for 10 seconds, before giving the error and pausing the download.

I am guessing it is either some changed permissions in the new Window version, or more likely, it is some timing issue (race condition).

Do you have an idea to point me in the right direction? I have tried to search the net, but without any luck. Right now I cannot download anything without monitoring and constantly unpausing the download.

Thanks.
Nox

Post by Nox »

LoveSabnzbd wrote: May 8th, 2021, 3:52 pm Something in windows 10 host has changed with the new version, that gives these "permission denied" errors in SAB. They are quite random, since sometimes it downloads for a minute, other times it downloads only for 10 seconds, before giving the error and pausing the download.
I have the same / similar problem. I am using Windows Server Datacenter Version 2019 and 2022.
Running both servers with 8 vCPU, 16 GB RAM and latest updates on an ESXi host. Download to a RDM mapped 4TB HDD, network share is active. Writing and reading is possible.

I can't find any clues in the logs why this is happening. :(
Does anyone have ideas how I can solve the problem?
texasmcse

Post by texasmcse »

no, they will say it's something wrong with your computer. i've been dealing with this for months
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

A possibly more fine grained error code can be read using
status = hex(ctypes.windll.ntdll.RtlGetLastNtStatus() + 2**32)

(requires import ctypes).
The error codes are listed here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/opensp ... e60bebca55

Maybe this should be added to SABnzbd, safihre?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Puzzled wrote: November 18th, 2021, 7:19 pm A possibly more fine grained error code can be read using
status = hex(ctypes.windll.ntdll.RtlGetLastNtStatus() + 2**32)

(requires import ctypes).
The error codes are listed here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/opensp ... e60bebca55

Maybe this should be added to SABnzbd, safihre?
Do you think that additional info will provide things like "... because in use by Proces XYZ" (virusscanner use case), or "no rights to write file", or "disk not available" ... ?
Because that would indeed be useful.

My guess is still the intermediate Errno 13 and other Windows filesystem errors are caused by:
- virusscanners
- "interesting" setups other than a plain OS on a plain local filesystem (C:): VMs, NAS drives, Windows Pool drives (or how it is called)
Nox

Post by Nox »

sander wrote: November 19th, 2021, 3:25 am My guess is still the intermediate Errno 13 and other Windows filesystem errors are caused by:
- virusscanners
- "interesting" setups other than a plain OS on a plain local filesystem (C:): VMs, NAS drives, Windows Pool drives (or how it is called)
My setup is super simple, latest Windows Server with all updates and a "mapped" Hard Drive in ESXi (no RAID or storage pool). Whole Defender is disabled. The strange thing is, at startup, folders are created and small downloads are also completed for a couple of minutes. Nevertheless, he says read / write errors.

I can give access to my Windows Server Setup next week via RDP if you want to test / debug it by yourself. The Windows Event Viewer and the SABnzbd logs are unfortunately not very informative.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Nox wrote: November 19th, 2021, 5:24 am
My setup is super simple, latest Windows Server with all updates and a "mapped" Hard Drive in ESXi (no RAID or storage pool).
ESXi is VMware stuff, isn't it? So ... VMware, and IMHO not super simple.

If you would run SABnzbd on the bare OS, that would be super simple
Nox

Post by Nox »

VMware ESXi is a bare-metal hypervisor, I loop hard drives and USB devices like physically directly through. I don't really have any problems with that. But to get 100% sure and to rule out this error, I will test my setup on Proxmox (another hypervisor) and on a windows computer without any hypervisor.