MultiPar and Unrar questions V3.2.1

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
opentoe

MultiPar and Unrar questions V3.2.1

Post by opentoe »

I have a monster of a beast computer. It has 64GB of 3600Mhz of memory, multiple 2TB Western Digital Black NVMe PCIe V4 drives, Nvidia 3090 video card, a Ryzen 9 5950X, Asus VIII Dark Hero mainboard, Kraken Z73 CPU cooler, Seasonic PSU. You get the picture.

The multipar and unrar programs that come with Sabnzbd+ V3.2.1 are they up to date and tuned to run on a such a fast machine? I was reading the WIKI and it said I can use my GPU also to make things faster, but I do not see anything in the Wiki to do this. I want to get the most out of the resources I have with this amazing machine I built. I have a 1GB Internet connection and I get 110MB/sec download speeds constant which is where is it suppose to be. Here are the results of that test.

Nametest_download_10GB
Completeda few seconds ago
StatusCompleted
Size10.2 GB
CategoryDefault
PathD:\sab\complete\test_download_10GB\sometestfile-10GB.bin
Sourcehttps://sabnzbd.org/tests/test_download_10GB.nzb
DownloadDownloaded in 1 min 36 seconds at an average of 107.7 MB/s
Serversnews.supernews.com=1.1 GB, news.tweaknews.eu=580.1 MB, reader.xsnews.nl=2.4 GB, secure.news.easynews.com=6.0 GB
Repair[sometestfile] Quick Check OK
Unpack[sometestfile] Unpacked 1 files/folders in 10 seconds

This is my system performance test output:

System performance (Pystone)408747 AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core…
Download folder speed2118.1 MB/s (D:\sab\temp)
Complete folder speed2158.1 MB/s (D:\sab\complete)
Internet Bandwidth50.9 MB/s (407.2 Mbps)

Sab comes with multipar 1.29 and I downloaded 1.30. Can I just switch out the *.exe files? I also really would love how to utilize all my cores and GPU, but hard to find examples and information on it.

Anyone?
Thanks!
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MultiPar and Unrar questions V3.2.1

Post by safihre »

Multipar will detect itself how many cores to use of your cpu and if it's worth to enable GPU. Turning on GPU is very fast go repair, but takes longer to initialize so it only enables that if the repair is big. You can force it to use more cores using the Par2 parameters option, but usually that's not needed at all. Multipar is already so fast.
Regarding unrar, there is nothing to tweak. The process is mostly single threaded and also depends if the upoader used compression or not.

So all together, seems all is good to go for you.
Seems you maybe don't have Direct Unpack enabled? At least you test download didn't use it.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
opentoe

Post by opentoe »

You recommend I turn on Direct Unpack? Because the Wiki said I should turn that off for better speed/operations.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Yeah but with your system it should be fine.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
opentoe

Post by opentoe »

Ok, I kind of thought that would be the case. I don't think I could get anything faster, except the memory which is 3600 speed as it is.

Thanks!