Every multi rar file download fails, usually CRC errors

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
ArskinF

Every multi rar file download fails, usually CRC errors

Post by ArskinF »

Up front, this is driving me crazy:

Since about two weeks ago every download containing multiple rar files fails, usually with a CRC error. The contained file is partially unpacked and placed into the destination directory along with the rar and par files.

Here's what I have tried:

LAN infrasture
I have checked this out and am confident everything related to the PC (Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS) is working as it should,

Sabnzbd version
The version I have currently installed is 3.0.0-develop [unknown] from the Ubuntu repository. It had been working OK for a couple of months until this nonsense started.

I then installed the latest offering from ppa:jcfp/nobetas - this turned into a complete disaster. Every download, no matter what, reported missing or corrupted files. After messing about for several days, I gave and reverted to the Ubuntu repository version

On a PC running an older version of Ubuntu (18.04) I have SAB version 2.3.2 [1cac579] - this downloads and processes the files OK. That should negate any suggestion that the usenet servers or internet connection are at issue. Note it is not practical for me to use this PC as a replacement.

unrar I have purged, reinstalled and tested different versions, to no avail

par2 - same as above.

Manual processing
Nearly all the downloads can be processed manually. Where par files are available # par2 r <file> will usually work.
Unrar will only mostly work as unrar e -kb <file> although the last file in the sequence nearly always reports a CRC error.

Par2 issue
I notice when Sab invokes par2 on files that have obfuscated names the first in sequence is renamed to its proper name, but not the remaining ones. The result is a mess. I either have to go through and rename manually or start again.

File & Directory permissions
Out of desperation everything is 0777 for the time being

At this point any practical suggestion to sort is out is greatly appreciated,

Cheers
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Every multi rar file download fails, usually CRC errors

Post by safihre »

You are using an ancient version.
Please update using the PPA: https://sabnzbd.org/wiki/installation/i ... buntu-repo

Then download the 1GB test-download from the Status and interface settings window.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
ArskinF

Post by ArskinF »

safihre wrote: May 18th, 2021, 2:23 am You are using an ancient version.
Please update using the PPA: https://sabnzbd.org/wiki/installation/i ... buntu-repo
Then download the 1GB test-download from the Status and interface settings window.
As mentioned in my top post, I have done that, and got an even worse outcome. But I'll do it again over the weekend.
ArskinF

Post by ArskinF »

The situation remains the same; the sabnzbdplus installation from the PPA (3.2.1 [0542c25]) consistently fails all downloads with CRC issues.
To try and eliminate hardware issues I have re-tested with clean installs on three different PCs, one Ubuntu 20.04 server, the others running the latest LinuxMint stable.

The Test 1G download, BTW, did complete successfully. Repair not needed.

However, general multi rar file usenet downloads fail in every instance with one or more CRC errors.

I come back to par2 issues. There seem to be misnamed files. For example

f8fa0ebd338901ed1876d02e3595f01b.part08.rar
f8fa0ebd338901ed1876d02e3595f01b.part08
f8fa0ebd338901ed1876d02e3595f01b.part07 << no extension

I'll give up on pursuing this and have instead pressed the older PC running Ubuntu (18.04) running SAB version 2.3.2 [1cac579] into service. It performs reliably. I empahsise that it downloads and process multiple rar files that version 3.2.1 [0542c25] does not, at least for me.

Cheers
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Since the test download works fine, it must be something on your computer or your settings. If there was a general problem in SABnzbd, our forums would be flooded with users posting problems.
I would advice you to do this https://sabnzbd.org/wiki/faq#freshstart
Enable Debug logging in the Status window and then after it fails again, click Show Logging in the same window. Share that file with us so we can see what is going wrong. The problem description is too vague for us to really debug it.

There are security problems in the ancient version of Sabnzbd: https://github.com/sabnzbd/sabnzbd/secu ... =published
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
ArskinF

Post by ArskinF »

Hi
Thanks for that.

I'm starting to think maybe some faulty network or HDD issue (cable), especially since it was all working OK for some time

I have some time this coming week so will work thru that.

Cheers
ArskinF

Post by ArskinF »

I thought I'd report back. Someone else might learn from my journey.

The problems I was experiencing on the Ubuntu server with the latest sabnzbdplus installation seem to have stemmed from Radarr.

I did a complete re-install of the server OS and then installed sabnzbdplus. It worked OK
Next, Medusa. I disabled post processing in Medusa and TV sorting = TRUE in sabnzbdplus. Again, all good.

When I configured Radarr it complained that TV sorting in sabnzbdplus had to be off. Weird, I thought, because Radarr was Movies, not TV. right?
Anyway, I can't find a setting in Radarr to turn its post processing OFF.

Ran a test, TV download. Failed download with corrupted rars! So it seems the duplicate rars and misnamed rars I mentioned earlier were being caused by Radarr.

I have removed Radarr and sabnzbdplus is now working correctly.

I can live without Radarr.

UPDATE (A few hours later)

Getting the same rar file corruption at verify, repair & extraction when I enable Lidarr. It also tells me to turn TV sorting off in sabnzbdplus, which I don't want to do.

Cheers