Latest version / Older laptop - Overheating.

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
ident_us3r

Latest version / Older laptop - Overheating.

Post by ident_us3r »

Hello All,
I am running an 11 year old Sony VAIO laptop with windows 10 and the latest version of sab. This is a fresh install of both windows10 pro x64/sab. I’m having an issue where the laptop will overheat and shut off during a large unpack. Until recently this same laptop was running Windows 7 pro and a version of sab from at least 4 years ago. Downloads on the older version with windows 7 would sometimes fail but it would never cause the CPU to overheat/shut down. On this current install I’ve tried the following config options to mitigate the problem:

Pause downloading during post-processing: on
External process priority: low
Only get articles for top of the queue: on
Direct unpack: disabled.
Article cache was set to 900+ by default (would 450 be better in this case? System has 4gb of RAM)

Problem remains.
I’m thinking of lowering the ssl encryption from the default setting to AES128-SHA and adding the following setting in Extra Par2 Parameters for Windows: “-lc1” to use only one core.

Are there any additional settings I could use to prevent overheating on this older laptop? I don’t have any additional tasks running in the background other than the web browser showing the sab page. I know this laptop is old but other than this issue it still works well. I would prefer trying different settings before having to buy a new pc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
Last edited by ident_us3r on May 21st, 2021, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Latest version / Older laptop - Overheating.

Post by safihre »

I think you'll need to get your laptop fixed, probably it needs some new heatpaste on the CPU.
If you already have it set to these settings, there's not that much more to do..
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate