I'm running out of things to investigate here and am hopping someone might have something for me to look at or try.
I've recently migrated from a Windows 8.1 to Windows server 2019 on my home server which runs SABnzbd. On that system I run stablebit drive pool for storage. Temp files land on this drive pool. This is as it was run under 8.1 though the operating system has obviously changed and the drivepool versions may have also changed (to the latest version).
I first noticed this problem when downloads were getting underway, if I didn't pause the queue immediately after SABnzbd started then the system would crash (hard crash, RDP and web interface connections lost and immediately booting again, i.e. no BSOD by the time I get to the monitor 30sec or so later) I've found windows error reporting events indicating bluescreen but have not found any dumps that might help point to the culprit.
From there I decided I would do a fresh install of SABnzbd 3.4.2 and see where that took me. Everything seems to go smoothly during the install so set my basic settings (folders, servers/connections) and queued up a couple of items and they started downloading fine 3+GB in and I decide to pause and call it quits for the night. As soon as I hit pause the system crashes again.
Try the whole things again with v3.2.1 and find the same results. However this time I note that I can pause/resume just fine with only a single server set (ssl.astraweb) and max 8 connections. When I add 2 other servers and up the number of connections (18 per server) the crash on pause behaviour returns.
- If I run the basic settings test it goes through no worries (Still 3.2.1 installed).
- I can then also change the folder locations to my drive pool location and the test works fine there as well.
- 18 connections on that single server, 1GB test works fine (I do note that if I pause the queue with the test file downloading that it stops briefly and then carries on downloading even though the queue is paused).
- I then add a second server (ssl-eu.astraweb) and load it up with 18 connections as well, 1GB test starts fine however, as soon as I hit pause the system crashes, this is very repeatable on my system with both 3.2.1 and 3.4.2.
The only real difference here seems to be the Windows Server 2019 environment. Initial attempts were with my sabnzbd.ini from the old install so the servers/connections have worked with no worries for me in the recent past.
Any pointers on what is happening at this time that may be causing such behaviour?
I have got windows to create a minidump on my latest round of testing so will also be interrogating that though have little experience there.
Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Help us help you:
Help us help you:
- Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
- Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
- Adhere to the forum rules.
- Do you experience problems during downloading?
Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
- Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
I've not actually seen a BSOD, it seems to cut out to reboot right away. I've only seen mention of bluescreen in event logs but have not been able to glean any information from those event logs so far. I've not disabled the drive pool service completely but with the default setup i.e. temp files and complete files on the system drive (i.e. no contact with the drive pool) it still exhibits the same behaviour.
Have coerced windows in to producing a dump file when it is crashing and got some useful information out of them. It appears to be pointing towards the drivers for my NIC as the cause of a buffer overflow. Will report back if I can straighten that out.
Happy to report that replacing the the drivers for my Realtek PCIe GBE Ethernet Family Controller (direct from the manufacturer, not via windows) has solved my problems. Still none the wiser about what was specifically about the way I was using SABnzbd was causing it but it is all stable now.
Thanks for reporting back. The amount of network and disk i/o that comes with downloading from usenet simply increases the chance of triggering hardware issues or driver bugs, without you or the program doing anything wrong.