Automatically download ALL par files

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
kaigoh

Re: Automatically download ALL par files

Post by kaigoh »

Ahh...

Thats what I figured was happening - one rar set was failing, and SABnzbd was giving up. Now I know there is that option, I'll try again.

Cheers mate,

Kai.
kaigoh

Post by kaigoh »

I don't seem to be able to find that option. Is it "Only perform post-processing on jobs that passed all PAR2 checks"? If it is, I already have that option ticked?

Thanks,

Kai.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

That's the one that you should set off.
kaigoh

Post by kaigoh »

I think I've solved my issue.

My setup here uses a NAS box with SMB. The server SABnzbd lives on only has a small hard drive so I mounted a couple of SMB shares and had SABnzbd pointing at the mounts for incomplete, complete and categorized downloads. It seemed that SABnzbd was not processing my downloads correctly and I was ending up with incomplete or corrupted files. Today, I have added a new hard drive to the SABnzbd server and pointed the incomplete folder to the new drive. Every NZB that failed download->par->unrar before has now worked. I think what was happening before was that SMB couldn't handle the throughput from SABnzbd and I think it may have been dropping data or connections.

Anyways, if you have a similar setup to me and are experiencing issues with SABnzbd not completeing post-processing in your downloads properly, you might be able to fix it like I did.

Hope this helps,

Kai.
Comedy

Post by Comedy »

Hi, I'd also be interested in having sabnzbd download all pars automatically. Here is my situation:

I have a 12mbit connection and can download about 5gb in an hour so although it's nice to not waste bandwidth, it doesn't matter so much to me. I have sabnzbd running on a small 2.2ghz atom laptop (not the most powerful thing but you have to work with what you've got!)

If, for example, I queue up a DVD9 it will take about 4 hours to complete:

2 hours to download
40 minutes to par check the first time (I've no idea why it takes this long, does it try a repair also each time?)
2 minutes to download more pars
40 minutes again to par check
2 minutes to download the rest of the pars
40 minutes to par check/repair
30 minutes to unrar

It would be a lot better if I could have it just do:

2hrs to download
4 minutes to download pars
40 minutes to par check/repair
30 minutes to unrar

I don't know the exact script sabnzbd follows with par checking but it does seem to take a very long time and for the sake of the extra few minutes downloading it'd be nice to only take that time once.

Right now I have post processing completely disabled. With this set all the pars will be downloaded automatically and I just run QuickPar then unrar with 7zip myself. I find when I run QuickPar it checks all the files in just a few minutes but the repairing still takes the same amount of time. I do this to save from: having failed downloads with no pars, having a massive queue of things waiting to par check/unrar after leaving it overnight and mostly so I don't kill my laptop with all the excess strain it puts on it.
Last edited by Comedy on January 29th, 2010, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comedy

Post by Comedy »

Sorry, on a side note I think I may have just found a bug too. I'll try it again next time I download something but if you have post processing disabled, start a download that has pars and change post processing to D after the pars have downloaded (but more files remain so it's still in queue) you get an error message:

Stage Par2
        [PAR-INFO]: => No par2 sets

The par2's are definitely there too because I've used them since to check and repair the files myself.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Upgrade to release 0.5.0RC3.
This one has on-the-fly verification of the files.
It will only run par2 if the verification fails.
My personal experience that repairs are limited to about 5% of
what I download. Your milage may vary :)

SABnzbd is so much oriented towards the familiar par/unrar
method that it "complains" that par2 files are missing.
We haven't put much effort in the raw download mode.
Hence the unnecessary message.
Bily

Post by Bily »

Since recently installing Windows 7 (clean install) I am having almost every nzb download send me a failed to complete the job notice.  Here is my latest message:

Code: Select all

Results of the job:

Stage Download
    [Avg-Speed] 104kB/s
    [Time-Taken] 2 hours 1 minute 27 seconds 
Stage Par2
    [DEL-INFO] motion-ww-xvid => Deleted 2 file(s)
    [PAR-INFO] motion-ww-xvid-OTHER => Not enough repair blocks left (have: 0, need: 25)
    [PAR-INFO] motion-ww-xvid => Verified in 12.4s, all files correct
Stage Unrar
    [UNPACK] => No post-processing because of failed verification
This software was working perfectly in Vista.  Now I have to go back the next night and try to retrieve missing blocks that it failed to download.
What's up?  Is it a problem at my end or a problem with Windows 7?
Thanks in advance for any help.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Windows 7 is fully supported.
Looks more like a lousy NZB file.
I did solve an obscure bug relating to multi-set NZB files.
Email this NZB to bugs at sabnzbd.org with a reference to this thread
and I'll have a look.

Which version of SABnzbd are you using now?
Bily

Post by Bily »

@shypike  I really really appreciate the prompt reply,  but on this particular download I found that I was able to just unrar the files myself and everything extracted fine so I don't know why it sends me a FAILED message and does not unpack the files itself.
No biggie on this one,  but I have had others where I have had to go back and fetch the separate files. Since then have given it some thought, and it "may" be due to snowy weather we have been having which interferes with our Hughes satellite reception that is causing this so I will wait until I have failed downloads with CLEAR weather before I put you through the trouble of analyzing anything.
Bottomline - give me a raincheck on this for the moment.
I'm using version 0.4.12.  Do I need to upgrade?
I really LOVE your software.   ;D
Last edited by Bily on January 31st, 2010, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

0.4.12 contains some obscure bugs that were found and solved in 0.5.0.
You might want to wait with upgrading until we publish the Final.
smiler

Post by smiler »

I am having this problem as well (0.6.15 on Ubuntu server 12.04.2). It seems that it was failing a check, and so it was not downloading any more par2 sets. In fact, it just hangs in the par2 for hours, while the status in sabnzbd is 0%. I have to manually go kill the par2 job. Once I turned off the QuickCheck and clicked retry, it would at least download more par2 files (though certainly not all of them), but it still would not repair them (again, hanging in par2 for hours). So I killed it again, and then I have to go run the par2 command from the command line and it works just fine. I agree that being able to specify a way to "force" certain files within the nzb to be downloaded would be very helpful, since the current setup is not 100% foolproof. It does this "hanging" in repair-land more often than I would like. Maybe I am getting old nzbs, but I would say around 10% of the time.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

We don't support 0.6.15 any more, we're now at 0.7.13
There is a "private" repo available for recent releases, see: http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/install-ubuntu-repo
willpower101

Post by willpower101 »

Good to know. But being on a higher version doesn't solve the problem of sab refusing to download par files when needed.

In my example, I have a full movie downloaded that wasn't in the sab queue.

I need the par files to run macpar outside of sab...
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

When you want to do your own post processing, use "Download" instead of "+Delete".