About CRC Errors

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
User avatar
shypike
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 21016
Joined: January 18th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Re: About CRC Errors

Post by shypike » January 12th, 2011, 2:40 pm

isofan wrote: After redownloading the defective RARs, 8 of the 10 worked, but 2 of them are stilldefective, no matter how often I redownload them.
In that case there's just not enough available on the server.
Welcome to Usenet.
BTW: when Giganews receives a DMCA notice, they delete the first article of each file.
Also, sometimes you're just too early. Usenet servers need time to propagate articles to each other.

sacii
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: January 4th, 2011, 10:37 am

Re: About CRC Errors

Post by sacii » January 12th, 2011, 3:39 pm

isofan wrote: After redownloading the defective RARs, 8 of the 10 worked, but 2 of them are stilldefective, no matter how often I redownload them.
isofan, where are your temporary download folders for SABnzbd located? If they are on a raid, try moving them to a single disk. That was the way I ended my CRC errors. I tried redownloading and various changes to SABnzbd's settings, but no joy ensued. It's now been 8 days and numerous downloads since I moved SABnzbd's temporary download folders off the raid5 and I have not had a single CRC error.

mr.sparkle
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: September 16th, 2010, 11:54 am

Re: About CRC Errors

Post by mr.sparkle » January 12th, 2011, 5:33 pm

shypike wrote:Also, sometimes you're just too early. Usenet servers need time to propagate articles to each other.
How long should one wait from when you see something posted on a search engine?

User avatar
shypike
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 21016
Joined: January 18th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Re: About CRC Errors

Post by shypike » January 12th, 2011, 5:41 pm

shypike wrote: How long should one wait from when you see something posted on a search engine?
Impossible to predict, but it shouldn't be more than half a day.
It's not sure if that the problem.
That's the whole issue, these problems are hard to reproduce for others.
They time-dependent, usenet server dependent, seach-engine dependent.
And when you're unlucky even Usenet client dependent (like when it has bugs
or when it takes a different decision than another client in the case of ambiguous NZB files).

isofan
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 60
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:34 am

Re: About CRC Errors

Post by isofan » January 14th, 2011, 12:52 pm

sacii wrote:
isofan wrote: After redownloading the defective RARs, 8 of the 10 worked, but 2 of them are stilldefective, no matter how often I redownload them.
isofan, where are your temporary download folders for SABnzbd located? If they are on a raid, try moving them to a single disk. That was the way I ended my CRC errors. I tried redownloading and various changes to SABnzbd's settings, but no joy ensued. It's now been 8 days and numerous downloads since I moved SABnzbd's temporary download folders off the raid5 and I have not had a single CRC error.
I download them on my Windows Home Server, so the temp-files go to a mounted Share on the WHS server. Do you think this might cause the problem? I had the problem today again, and it's so anoying having to redownload single files and manually rejoin them :(

User avatar
shypike
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 21016
Joined: January 18th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Re: About CRC Errors

Post by shypike » January 14th, 2011, 2:28 pm

isofan wrote: I download them on my Windows Home Server, so the temp-files go to a mounted Share on the WHS server. Do you think this might cause the problem? I had the problem today again, and it's so anoying having to redownload single files and manually rejoin them :(
For WHS is best to locate all your folder in a unshared folder on your D: drive.
Only the watched folder and the final folders should be on a shared drive.
I have used this setup for over a year.
Also don't forget to disable the folder rename feature ( http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/configure-special item folder_rename).

isofan
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 60
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:34 am

Re: About CRC Errors

Post by isofan » January 17th, 2011, 11:33 am

shypike wrote:
isofan wrote: I download them on my Windows Home Server, so the temp-files go to a mounted Share on the WHS server. Do you think this might cause the problem? I had the problem today again, and it's so anoying having to redownload single files and manually rejoin them :(
For WHS is best to locate all your folder in a unshared folder on your D: drive.
Only the watched folder and the final folders should be on a shared drive.
I have used this setup for over a year.
Also don't forget to disable the folder rename feature ( http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/configure-special item folder_rename).
I have done that now, can you explain why the last part (folder_rename) is important on WHS?

Last night, I had plenty small downloads (800 MB each), they worked perfectly, and a big one (6 Gig), which dramatically failed, 30 of 45 RAR-files were defective. I'd like to know if my hoster (XLNed) is having problems currently with their servers, or if there is something still wrong with my config. Since I am suffering from slow internet connection where I live, so every redownload takes hours :(

Sometimes, even the filesizes of the rars differ after redownloading, any idea why this happens?

Edit: I have noe redownloaded on another computer running WinXP, when I download one single file three times, I get three different contents. Is anybody of you using XLNed as usenet provider, and could test a file for me?
Last edited by isofan on January 17th, 2011, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
shypike
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 21016
Joined: January 18th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Re: About CRC Errors

Post by shypike » January 17th, 2011, 12:54 pm

isofan wrote:
shypike wrote: I have done that now, can you explain why the last part (folder_rename) is important on WHS?

Last night, I had plenty small downloads (800 MB each), they worked perfectly, and a big one (6 Gig), which dramatically failed, 30 of 45 RAR-files were defective. I'd like to know if my hoster (XLNed) is having problems currently with their servers, or if there is something still wrong with my config. Since I am suffering from slow internet connection where I live, so every redownload takes hours :(

Sometimes, even the filesizes of the rars differ after redownloading, any idea why this happens?
The WHS drive extender moves files around between drives after the files are written.
This can block renames for quite some time.

So far we've never seen a bug in SABnzbd causing it to just skip articles.
It's very likely that your server had some (temporary) problem.
I see your problem. A least for the next release repairing and partial retries will be easier.

isofan
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 60
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:34 am

Re: About CRC Errors

Post by isofan » January 17th, 2011, 2:12 pm

Thanks alot shypike for your help, I really do appreciate it :)

I may have found another piece in the puzzle that might be causing problems: a reboot of my Fritz Box 7270, the internet router I use to connect to my DSL provider. I have rebooted the box, and since that time, all downloads were successful, of course this could still be a coincidence, I will test overnight for sure.

Have you ever heard of internet routers causing such problems?

User avatar
shypike
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 21016
Joined: January 18th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Re: About CRC Errors

Post by shypike » January 17th, 2011, 2:32 pm

isofan wrote: Have you ever heard of internet routers causing such problems?
I reset mine about once a month because it screws up wireless connections.

isofan
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 60
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:34 am

Re: About CRC Errors

Post by isofan » January 17th, 2011, 3:28 pm

shypike wrote:
isofan wrote: Have you ever heard of internet routers causing such problems?
I reset mine about once a month because it screws up wireless connections.
I guess the router was false alert, errors again. I strongly believe it's my usenet provider XLNed, any other user of this provider here who could test that?

pobox
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 104
Joined: May 3rd, 2008, 6:11 pm

Re: About CRC Errors

Post by pobox » January 17th, 2011, 6:18 pm

Which XLned account do you have, lite/small/basic/plus/gold

Are there any code 400 responses in the log?

isofan
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 60
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:34 am

Re: About CRC Errors

Post by isofan » January 18th, 2011, 11:08 am

pobox wrote: Which XLned account do you have, lite/small/basic/plus/gold

Are there any code 400 responses in the log?
I am currently using XLNed lite, which offers 2.5MBit/s, which is still more than my current internet connection can handle.

I haven't found any code 400 messages in the logging (I guess you mean the regular logging, not weblogging? What would a code 400 error look like exactly?).

I am currently willing to try another provider for at least a month in order to see if the situation improves then. I have found that Powernews has a similar offer, does anyone know if they are in some way afilliated with XLned (because they are dutch as well)?

pobox
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 104
Joined: May 3rd, 2008, 6:11 pm

Re: About CRC Errors

Post by pobox » January 18th, 2011, 11:26 am

The XLned FAQ explains that code 400 errors are returned for attempting too many connections.  You have to make sure you're not getting those errors.  The XLned 'lite' account allows only 2 simultaneous connections, that's unusual when other providers allow as many as 50.  If you have configured 2 connections, try only 1 and see if you get as many incomplete files.  I know that 1 connection will adversely affect your speed.

Locked