vista and sleep

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
alanframe

vista and sleep

Post by alanframe »

Hi

Hopefully some one can help me with a problem I've been having with sabnzbd and sleep states on my vista machine.

My vista machine is set to sleep after 10 mins of idle. Without sabnzbd running it goes to sleep (s3 state) and wakes up fine. If I have sabnzbd running in the background but don't do any downloading again it will go to sleep fine. If however I set a download going this keeps the machine awake even after the download has finished and 10mins of idle have passed.

Anybody come across this before or got a fix ?

???
DeXeS
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: vista and sleep

Post by DeXeS »

I also used to use hibernate (sleep mode) in windows XP and that had the same problem. It wasn't only SABnzbd but also allot of other programs. I eventually moved to an alternative. I now use 'autoshutdown' from barefoot inc http://www.barefootinc.com/ but there are lots of alternatives  that work way better then the normal windows sleep.

I think windows sleep mode uses the idle of the pc to see when to sleep. A better way is to use a program that depends on mouse movement to. and if you want to scan you computer, just turn of the alternative sleep mode  ;).
nzb_leecher

Post by nzb_leecher »

vista has a lot of s3 problems, its a known problem  :'(
alanframe

Post by alanframe »

S3 sleep works fine for me in vista apart from when I've done some downloading in sab  :'(

Guess I could raise a feature request for an option to close sab after the queue is done rather than shutdown the pc. Or even an option to run a script after the queue finishes.
Last edited by alanframe on March 7th, 2008, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nzb_leecher

Post by nzb_leecher »

OK i have XP and S3 and they fine. However i also sometime have the problem that xp is awake the next morning, dont know why.

Maybe becuase it then uses 1 or 2% cpu time keeping the computer from going in S3 mode.
S3 wokrs only if the cpu isnt doing anything for 10 minutes.

But 9 of the 10 times it works like it should. It dloads the queue, it unpacks and 30 minutes after the last dload/unpack it goes to sleep.

How to solve this, no idea maybe the programmers have some ideas..
switch

Post by switch »

alanframe wrote: S3 sleep works fine for me in vista apart from when I've done some downloading in sab  :'(

Guess I could raise a feature request for an option to close sab after the queue is done rather than shutdown the pc. Or even an option to run a script after the queue finishes.
I've just added the option for 0.4.0 to hibernate the PC after SABnzbd has finished the queue. I guess I could expand it into a drop-down list containing:
Shutdown PC
Shutdown SABnzbd
Hibernate PC
scripts
SCRIPT1
SCRIPT2
SCRIPT3

As for your pc not hibernating after being idle, I suspect it may be code in the downloading section not exiting a loop after the download is finished. I will investigate it a bit more tomorrow.