Understanding RSS text filter and regex

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
clobber

Understanding RSS text filter and regex

Post by clobber »

I noticed the Wiki doesn't contain any information regarding the RSS Configuration. Can someone briefly describe the RSS text filters and regex (ok, I already know regex - but how is it used here). Like many others in the forum I just want to monitor tvnzb for specific shows with a couple of added features similar to alt.binz. I would rather do this directly with sabnzbd instead of creating a new RSS Feed like others have done. For example, I'd like to get all nzbs with the name "show" and "s02e03" in the name, but not "hdtv" or "proper." I'd also like to be able to specify the dl and unrar folder for each match (which I don't think could be done with just a custom RSS feed). Perhaps I need to add this to the feature request forum, but I thought I'd check here first.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Understanding RSS text filter and regex

Post by shypike »

The plain text filter checks if the given text is part of the item title.
So filter "Ubuntu" will match on "The new Ubuntu 7.10.iso".

Regex is just a Python regex, it's applied to the item title.
You can make very complex an nifty patterns with it, but I'm no expert on this subject.
There's quite an amount of info to be found on the Internet.

A Google like search-language would be useful here, but we haven't looked at this yet.
(I mean patterns like:  "Ubuntu AND -7.04", meaning match on "Ubuntu" but skip when "7.04" is present).
I know it is possible to construct a regex for the above example, but I would be a challenge for me.
Usenet

Post by Usenet »

Regexp is very tricky and since ther is no easy way of knowing what SAB will pick up I prefer running the feed through yahoo pipes. Here is an example http://pipes.yahoo.com/underpirate/tvnzb render it as rss and paste it into SAB and your ready to go...
clobber

Post by clobber »

Shypike,

Got it. Thanks.

Have you seen the altbinz solution? It is pretty effective and simple. The only special character allowed is the  wild card *. Also, each line can be either accepted or denied and the last match wins. For example:

showname*s02* | A
show2*s05* | A
*720* | D

That will get  season 2 for showname and season 5 for show2, but no episodes containing "720" in the name will be selected. I won't go into more detail, but each line also gets a folder where it should be unrar and the final avi should be moved to. Is that something that sabnzb could/would consider implementing?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Nice idea.
We'll consider it for the RSS redesign.
clobber

Post by clobber »

Hey,

Thanks for including a solution and documentation in the latest beta release. I'll be giving it a try and providing feedback.