SAB & Sick Beard Mini Box Recomendations

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
drewdatrip
Release Testers
Release Testers

SAB & Sick Beard Mini Box Recomendations

Post by drewdatrip »

Hey guys-
Im looking to create a slim line small boxed system to connect to the network and run SAB and Sickbeard on as i find that the unraring paring etc takes a fair bit of processing power which slows work down on my Macbook pro also i somtimes want to turn the laptop off of be mobile with it however i want Sab and SB to continue
I run XBMC on an Acer Revo and i attempted to use SAB on it however the unpacking and par process would cause jittering in Hidef content and also processed very slowly do to the reduced CPU power of the Atom.
Any recommendations for something small but not with an Atom cpu for the best postprocessing

Thanks

Drew
pspgimp

Re: SAB & Sick Beard Mini Box Recomendations

Post by pspgimp »

I have a QNAP 659 Pro, I would seriously recommend anyone look at the QNAP range of NAS/SAN units, I just cannot fault it.
drewdatrip
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by drewdatrip »

First off Dimes i just wanted to say thank you for the reply!
My current setup is the Acer Revo running  Linux and essentially XBMC Live I have 2x WD 1.5Tb My Books attached I use a power line Ethernet to power for network and due to poor network performance i haven't been streaming over the network as i get buffering issues and sometimes it freezes or just even stops and drops me back to the root media folder. Due to this i have gone back to the stone age and once the file is done downloading i plug the external and xfer it over. I have been kinda reluctant to do NAS do to this however its something i will resolve in the near future im gonna be hardwiring the hose soon
I have considered using something like the Synology DS210j in the past however i was under the impression the wait times on unpacking was more then that, if its roughly 10-15mins for unpack and repair im totally ok with that
The Synology DS210j sounds like a really great solution as basically i want a small low power system that would be able to host Sab and Sick beard
I imagine there is custom firmware to allow the Nas to have Sab and SB running on it?
How is the setup? Installing python and Cheetah easy?
You for see issues with with a faster internet downpipe? ie 3mb+ ?

Again Thanks again for your comments and suggestions

Drew
drewdatrip
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by drewdatrip »

Awesome to hear that There is a premade script for Sab. And the install on SB seems simple enough. As for the issues you had with postprocessing, was that only when you had sab postprocessing disabled?

I will have to take a look at the at the issue you mentioned "dynamic @eaDir files" that XBMC misreads, looks like the forum is down for me though
I haven't tried faster downloads than 10-15mbit. If you are unsure try to find a local vendor that will accept returns in the event the device is unworthy. My speeds so we are on the same page average 1500 KB/s as reported by sabnzbd. (bytes not bits)
I dont think this will be an issue my current DSL peeks at 350 KB/s and while i intend on upgrading to cable in the future it wouldnt be over 15mbit line

I think im gonna make the leap and get one online with a pair of 1.5tb drives or 2tbs if i can find some cheep ones
I imagine on boot the device auto formats the drives and starts the configuration, any recomendations there?
Also i might consolidate and plug in my 2 My Books via the back USB ports, One formated in FAT32 and the other is HFS, for see any issues there?
Thanks again and just fyi ill be pestering you on a daily now >.<

Drew
drewdatrip
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by drewdatrip »

Bare in mind the unit isn't exactly quiet, a little noisy. I'd hook it up over gigabit and put it in another room.
How would you compare its noise with that of say the Acer Revo?
If you buy this unit I can help put together a definitive/fail-proof install guide.
AWESOME!
Id gladly help test it and add input!

Drew
drewdatrip
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by drewdatrip »

pair of dimes wrote:
drewdatrip wrote:
Bare in mind the unit isn't exactly quiet, a little noisy. I'd hook it up over gigabit and put it in another room.
How would you compare its noise with that of say the Acer Revo?
Much louder, Revo is pretty much silent, this I can hear with ease, sounds like fan noise most the time, louder when it's churning away of course.
Bummer Was hoping to put it Side by Side with the Revo might have to run a line into the closet... damn

Drew
paddy29

Post by paddy29 »

I use a Revo with XBMC Freaks XBMC live installed. I can watch a 1080p mkv with absolutely no issues even when Sabnzbd is extracting or repairing.

My problem is that I am not good with Linux so I cant get a lot of the addons to work and I cant get the library to update when I delete things. The new version of XBMC is out soon that should help.
manolodf

Post by manolodf »

pair of dimes wrote:
By the way I use my system with Sickbeard in conjunction with XBMC on an Acer Revo AR1600, it works perfectly and it was stupid cheap. For the NAS setup I plugged in hard drives, formatted, and made a share. Barely any configuration. There was a SABnzbd installer package, but I had to run Sickbeard from source (barely any effort).

I too tried running everything on the Revo, but I could not determine optimal settings where it would not interfere with simultaneous playback while downloading/processing.
Would you be able to tell me how you got sick beard installed (into what folder etc) as well as sabnzbd and how you recommend to set it up. I am not great at linux and i really want to setup sick beard and sabnzbd+ on my Acer Revo as well.  I just dont know where to install and how to make it boot up on startup etc.  Any help for sick beard would be appreciated.
manolodf

Post by manolodf »

I see, I just installed the official one on the revo and I did the apt-get sabnzbdplus and to my surprise it was version 4.1.2 as opposed to the most recent one. I also have no clue how to update so i can get the latest one on there.  Any clue how i can get the latest?  I really wanted to have the revo do sab and sickbeard all in one machine so I did not require another computer being on and maintaining everything.

Do you still use sick beard for organizing your tv shows or do you use one of those other programs to get info, art etc.  Also I have been looking for an automated way to get Movie Trailers without any luck still, any tips appreciated.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

If you already had the older version installed, you will have all the pre-requisites.
Just download the tar.gz from sourceforge, unpack it and run ./SABnzbd.py
manolodf

Post by manolodf »

The sabnzbd upgrade worked great! Thank you very much.  The only thing that it acted weird on was that now it requires something under host where before it could be blank.
manolodf

Post by manolodf »

pair of dimes wrote: could try this

Code: Select all

# install sickbeard
sudo apt-get install git git-core
cd ~
git clone git://github.com/midgetspy/Sick-Beard.git "sickbeard"

# make some trigger to execute sickbeard, i guess i could try adding this to /etc/rc.local
nano ~/.bash_aliases
alias sick='python /home/xbmc/sickbeard/SickBeard.py --quiet &'
I think this may be a bit out of my league, but let me start with a basic question.  In what directory would I do the "git clone git://github.com/midgetspy/Sick-Beard.git "sickbeard" " from?  Because i guess i need to know where I want it to go to?  I used the git commands to get some skins, and i knew i had to be in the skins directory, but I have no idea where i would need to be and how I can do it so that sick beard starts alongside Sabnzbd.  I wish they had the same type of setup with the apt-get.
manolodf

Post by manolodf »

I already have git installed because I have used it for skins and other things, so thats not a problem

I am still a bit lost on when you say the /etc/rc.local  so i just type in the "nano ~/.bash_aliases alias..." ?  or am I modifying some other file

When you say home you mean the /home/username  folder correct? My username is not xbmc but there is another folder in /home called xbmc which is why i ask.
drewdatrip
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by drewdatrip »

pair of dimes wrote: Any problems I had were easily resolved, I don't remember what you are referring to.
I imagine the USB drives will work, I haven't used this unit like that.

It is pretty much a matter of plugging the drives in. You need to install their software on your OS, which loads the initial configuration onto the device.

Yea for your DSL this seems like it'll be fine. The post-processing won't be blisteringly fast, but fast enough. Some would argue that that NAS doesn't have enough power, but it has been working great for me, and it was the cheapest thing around and took little effort to get perfect.

If you buy this unit I can help put together a definitive/fail-proof install guide.

Hey Dimes,
Im thinking about pulling the trigger on this project, id love to work with the guide we had spoke about. Also do you still think this is a good option

Drew