SABnzbd on NAS equivalent unit - anyone else?

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
manks

SABnzbd on NAS equivalent unit - anyone else?

Post by manks »

Hi

Uisng SABnzbd successfully on a linux enabled NAS unit - NSLU2.

I wondered if anyone else was using it.

The main problems I have are that I can't get email to work - not sure if I need a third party app; and
I can't seem to get the post processing script to initiate directly (I can run it manually).

Are these issues individual to me or do others have the same problem?

Cheers
neilt0

Re: SABnzbd on NAS equivalent unit - anyone else?

Post by neilt0 »

I have an NSLU2 (and 2 LinkStations) but I haven't tried it, because I've heard it runs too slow.

What speeds are you getting?

I'm running HellaNZB on my LinkStation Live (400MHz ARM9 with 128MB RAM) and it's pretty fast. I can max out my 20mbit line with 4 connections. Assembling the posts is horribly slow though.

I'd love to get SAB running on my LinkStation if it can run fast enough.
manks

Post by manks »

I only have a 2m/bit connection so no issue re speed.  I think SABnzbd allows you to restrict speed anyway so you should be able to get it working well, albeit slightly slower than your 20m/bit connection.

My nslu2 runs pretty well and download between 200 and 230k/s depending on time of day.  The processing works really well too.

The only prob that I have is if I try and watch something through xbox media centre when its unpacking the files, there is noticable slow down, but other than that its fantastic!  Love the fact that I don't have to have a pc running all the time, can also log into home network from work using putty and firefox to add files remotely.

would just like to get the email feature running so i know when i need to go back into it . . .
switch

Post by switch »

The email function relies on perl.

Try installing perl:
  # ipkg install perl

If it still doesn't work, look at your logs. The first few lines when opening the program should say whether the perl module was found.
neilt0 wrote: I have an NSLU2 (and 2 LinkStations) but I haven't tried it, because I've heard it runs too slow.

What speeds are you getting?

I'm running HellaNZB on my LinkStation Live (400MHz ARM9 with 128MB RAM) and it's pretty fast. I can max out my 20mbit line with 4 connections. Assembling the posts is horribly slow though.

I'd love to get SAB running on my LinkStation if it can run fast enough.
Speed has been reported to be much faster using 0.3.0 final on NAS systems. However not sure if it will utilize your full 20Mbit.
Would be nice to find out what max speed you can get so we can look at optimizing the downloading code.
Last edited by switch on January 22nd, 2008, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
rascalli

Post by rascalli »

manks wrote: Love the fact that I don't have to have a pc running all the time, can also log into home network from work using putty and firefox to add files remotely.

would just like to get the email feature running so i know when i need to go back into it . . .
Is it not possible to forward the port sab uses , so you can also use your browser to login
neilt0

Post by neilt0 »

switch wrote: Speed has been reported to be much faster using 0.3.0 final on NAS systems. However not sure if it will utilize your full 20Mbit.
Would be nice to find out what max speed you can get so we can look at optimizing the downloading code.
To be honest, I'm not a Linux person at all, so installing all the dependencies is going to be tricky for me unless they are ipkg'd already, and I'm reluctant to do all the research needed only to find out there's not enough RAM to run SAB without swapping.

Is 128MB enough?

I'm going to post on the LinkStation forums as I know someone there has looked in to this. Then I'll report back here.
neilt0

Post by neilt0 »

OK, replying to my own post, I'm going to follow the directions at http://www.mobileforum.nl/viewtopic.php?p=1688

and see if I can get it working for myself. Wish me luck!
neilt0

Post by neilt0 »

Well, I got SABnzbd 0.3.0 working very easily!

It works beautifully on the LinkStation Live. Very, very nice. Download speeds are about 1,000kB/sec, about half my max throughput, but it assembles as it downloads, so I don't mind -- I haven't benchmarked against hella, but I think it must be faster overall.

More speed would be great, but for now, it's excellent.
manks

Post by manks »

rascalli wrote:
manks wrote: Love the fact that I don't have to have a pc running all the time, can also log into home network from work using putty and firefox to add files remotely.

Is it not possible to forward the port sab uses , so you can also use your browser to login
Yes, able to log into browser and add files using putty, its cool. 

Managed to install perl, but not had chance to play around with email yet - will prob get round to it at weekend. 

Anyone else using post processing script successfully through SAB - and indeed have one that they would like to share specifically written for NAS drive?

Cheers
neilt0

Post by neilt0 »

manks wrote: Managed to install perl, but not had chance to play around with email yet - will prob get round to it at weekend. 
Email is not working on my LinkStation either. Works on my PC. Perl in installed.
Is there something in the logs I can look for to debug?
neilt0

Post by neilt0 »

I think email is working now.  Has a 502 error, but does appear to be working. Can't post more of the log as the forum has errors.

Here's a snippet of my log:

Code: Select all

sendEmail.pl[28482]: ERROR => Received: 	502 Error: command not implemented
But after that it has:

Code: Select all

Jan 24 16:09:36 lslive sendEmail.pl[28760]: Email was sent successfully!
And emails are arriving.
manks

Post by manks »

Care to advise how you got it working?  I tried it briefly and emails weren't going through.  Cheers
neilt0

Post by neilt0 »

I just installed Perl. Took a while for the email to percolate through to my server, so have a look to see if any arrived on yours.

Check the log to see if there any errors, and check your email config in the ini.
manks

Post by manks »

I get the following error:

an 25 23:15:30 nas sendEmail.pl[539]: ERROR => Timeout while reading from smtp.gmail.com:465 There was no response after 60 seconds.

I've just used the settings in the wiki?  Any guidance appreciated.

Neilt0 - Any good at script writing? Do you plan to use the post processing function?
neilt0

Post by neilt0 »

Use your ISP's SMTP server.