Delayed Startup in order to obtain IP? (windows xp)

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
pzycho

Delayed Startup in order to obtain IP? (windows xp)

Post by pzycho »

First off, this is on a windows XP system

Okay, so I have been wrestling with a problem for a while and I think I have figured it out.  So I leave the host IP empty on my configuration because it is the only way that SAB will allow me to access from and internal IP as well as an external IP.  The problem comes when I try to make SAB start with my system.  So I have tried it both as a scheduled task and in the startup folder, and the program does indeed run, but I can't access it from any IP other than on that very computer with 127.0.0.1.  However, when I run the program again, it magically starts working on the outside IPs.  So I am pretty sure that my problem exists because I am on a wifi network and SAB starts before my computer has acquired a network address. With this problem in mind, I am looking to delay the startup of the program from 30-60 seconds to allow the computer time to figure out its network stuff beforehand.  Is this something that is possible already or is this something I am going to need to post in feature request? 

Thanks in advance.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Delayed Startup in order to obtain IP? (windows xp)

Post by shypike »

If you have multiple interfaces or interfaces that come and go, you need to specify explictly which IP address you want.
If the WiFi IP is not available yet, you won't be able to make SABnzbd listen on that address.
Somehow you must delay the start of SABnzbd until the IP is available.

Maybe you can try using the special address 0.0.0.0, but I'm not sure this will solve the problem.

We will not implement a startup delay.
It's easy enough to create a batch file that waits for the IP to become active and only then starts SABnzbd.
Something with a ping-command in a loop;

Code: Select all

:loop
ping -n 1 YOUR_WIFI_ROUTER_IP
if errorlevel 1 goto loop
SABnzbd.exe PARAMETERS
pzycho

Re: Delayed Startup in order to obtain IP? (windows xp)

Post by pzycho »

I didn't try the special address, but the batch file worked like a charm.  Thanks.