Bandwidth Cap Feature?

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
tedrock

Bandwidth Cap Feature?

Post by tedrock »

I'm looking for a way for SABnzbd monitor how much bandwidth it uses and to auto pause when it hits a cap I have input and to reset the amount monitored each month. My ISP has a monthly usage limit, if I go over that I am changed $1.50 per gig I go over up to $60 (They used to charge up to $30 but are now increasing it). I use sickbeard so a lot of my downloading is automatic and I never think to go look up my usage for the month. My limit is like 30GB and I hit about 200GB a month, this was never a problem before because I didn't really care about spending an extra $30 for unlimited bandwidth but now that the cost will be double and I can't justify that.

I swore I saw this something like this in the settings before but can't find it. Does this feature exist and if not is there any plugin or anything I can use to provide it?

*Note: I am not looking to limit my speed, I know how that all works.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bandwidth Cap Feature?

Post by shypike »

There's  no setting.
The only thing we have is a bandwidth (speed) cap, not a volume cap.
The downloaded amounts are measured though and also better in the next release.e might
So far there's no volume cap.
We might implement one, but you must realize that SABnzbd can only
count its own traffic.
tedrock

Post by tedrock »

shypike wrote: We might implement one, but you must realize that SABnzbd can only
count its own traffic.
oh yah i totally understand that, but i'd say like 99% of my bandwidth usage occurs in SABnzbd. The only other large updates I might do are via steam or a random firefox download. All of those I can manually control just by not downloading anything but a lot of my SAB stuff is automatic. I'll just have to keep track of my bandwidth and pause SAB when it gets close for now.
psycik

Post by psycik »

you could use something else to monitor you bandwidth cap on your provider and if it supports it, get it to run a script (that pauses or shuts down sabnzbd) when you get close...

Mostly I think it would be a custom written application.
notho

Post by notho »

We are in the same boat although our cap is 100GB - then $1.50 a GB over - I don't think they have a dollar cap though, it just keeps adding up until they own your house.

If there was a way to pause at a cap by billing period date, say from the 21st day to the 20th day with a cap of 90 GB - I'd sure get some use out of it and it would be fun to fine tune it to max out every month without paying extra.
benderunit9000

Post by benderunit9000 »

just wanted to throw my hat in saying that I would like the monthly bandwidth volume cap feature. I have 250gb/month and would love to set SAB to only use X GB/month or X GB/day.

more and more ISPs are moving towards a volume cap and I really think this feature would be useful.

thanks.