Disk error on creating file - path too long?

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
teconlalavu

Disk error on creating file - path too long?

Post by teconlalavu »

SABNZBD always pauses this download, even if I click resume multiple times. Now I know why:

Disk error on creating file E:\Downloads\incomplete\usenet\oO _Die.Reise.zum.Mittelpunkt.der.Erde.2.2008.German.DL.1080p.BluRay.x264-WOMBAT__www.realmom.info__.nfo_ Oo. [002_100] 8,68 GB.1\Die.Reise.zum.Mittelpunkt.der.Erde.2.2008.German.DL.1080p.BluRay.x264-WOMBAT__www.realmom.info__.r02

Seems like path length is too long, that's what I think. Is there some way too easily fix this?

edit. ok just found the folder max size variable in the ini file. I hope that's the correct way to solve the problem
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Disk error on creating file - path too long?

Post by shypike »

We're working on a better solution.
ThaDraGun

Post by ThaDraGun »

Same thing keeps happening to me. Sabnzbd keeps pausing it, yet if I unpause it will download a bit then pause again. Eventually if I sit here long enough it will get fully downloaded but I dont want to do that.

Disk error on creating file C:\Users\Marcel & Julia\Documents\downloads\incomplete\Dinosaur Train S01E02 The Call of the Wild Corythosaurus; Triceratops for Lunch 1080i HDTV DD5 1 MPEG2 TrollHD\Dinosaur Train S01E02 The Call of the Wild Corythosaurus; Triceratops for Lunch 1080i HDTV DD5.1 MPEG2-TrollHD.part07.rar[/quote]

Did you end up fixing this? Im not sure what ini file your talking about.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

FWIW: I can think of a few workarounds:

Point the download directories to something closer to C:\, so "C:\downloads\" instead of "C:\Users\Marcel & Julia\Documents\downloads\"
Create a shorter name for the NZB filename itself, and then put it into the SABnzbd queue: "DinTrain S0102" instead of the extremely long name you showed

HTH
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Has anybody tried a symbolic link for this Windows problem? A "mklink" seems to be the command. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link#Syntax

I don't use Windows, so I can't try myself.
ExecTech24

Post by ExecTech24 »

I dont think its the folder tree or how deep from the root directory the folder is that causes this problem.. I think it's the # of characters of the folder that is trying to be created that SAB has an issue with. Mine kept pausing a download that happened to be a long album name + the uploaders tag and other junk. I paused that download and it began to grab the others without any problems and still is able to copy data to and from the same directory.

The OP mentioned something about the folder max size variable in the ini. I'm leery of screwing with the guts of sab but I'll give it a look.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Setting a max folder length is harmless. Try a size like 64.
The "trick" is to keep the total size under 255.
(Until the time we convert SABnzbd to a proper Unicode app
and then implement the rather curious way Windows does support long paths.)
jt25741

Post by jt25741 »

Seems the default in 0.7.9 is 128, and can be set in the config/special area now without going to the .ini. I bumped it to 200 and it seems to have fixed the problem on my XP instance. Since this is much higher than 64 as recommended, I hope there are not any negative consequences of this.
jt25741

Post by jt25741 »

jt25741 wrote:Seems the default in 0.7.9 is 128, and can be set in the config/special area now without going to the .ini. I bumped it to 200 and it seems to have fixed the problem on my XP instance. Since this is much higher than 64 as recommended, I hope there are not any negative consequences of this.

I spoke too soon...it still fails even at 200. Not sure if this parameter helps this problem. Any other ideas? Is it safe to say that this problem wouldn't happen on Linux?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

The limit is for Individual path elements, often there are 4 or 5.
The total size still needs to be less than 254.
Setting the limt to 200 will help nothing.
Try 40.
jt25741

Post by jt25741 »

shypike wrote:The limit is for Individual path elements, often there are 4 or 5.
The total size still needs to be less than 254.
Setting the limt to 200 will help nothing.
Try 40.
Thanks, will do.