Windows 7 64-Bit - SABnzbd runs for a bit, then inaccessible

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
delebre

Windows 7 64-Bit - SABnzbd runs for a bit, then inaccessible

Post by delebre »

Version: 0.6.14
Install-type: Windows Installer
Skin (if applicable): Smpl - White
Firewall Software: Windows FW
Are you using IPV6? No
Is the issue reproducible? Yes

Ok, so here is the scoop. I have tried this multiple times and it happens without fail.
I install SABnzbd-0.6.14-win32-setup.exe and run through the setup, I get it installed, configured, and it works like a champ. I can download, process, etc.
The problem, is that I will close my browser and walk away, come back to use it later.. try to access it via the link.. and it won't load.
I have to go into Task Manager, select the SABnzbd.exe *32 process, and end it. Then I have to start it up again.
It WILL stay running while a download is in process, though come to think of it I leave my browser open/tab up when I have one going.

Further info:
I am using the HTTPS mode, and require a username/pass, and it's viewable anywhere on my network.
I made sure to UNCHECK start with windows during setup. I want to start it when I want to use it. Though I have tried both ways and the result is the same.

Thoughts on this issue? Help? Advice?
I welcome your input, and I sincerely thank you in advance. O0
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Windows 7 64-Bit - SABnzbd runs for a bit, then inaccess

Post by shypike »

delebre wrote:try to access it via the link.. and it won't load.
I assume you mean the desktop icon when you say "the link"?
There may be some circumstances why that link might fail, but I don't know right now.
The alternative is to make a bookmark in your browser to access SABnzbd again.
The SABnzbd program won't even notice that you closed the browser,
so it shouldn't be influenced.
If you use the desktop icon, the program is started again, will notice that there's
an instance already running and will try to launch the browser instead.
Since that way is a more complicated, more things can go wrong.
delebre

Post by delebre »

By link, I mean that I have bookmarked the: https://localhost:9090/ address. So I click on that link to access it. I understand that clicking on the application shortcut will cause multiple instances and potential errors from that can occur. However, this is not the case in this situation...
krackt

Post by krackt »

have you checked that sab is still listening on port 9090 when it becomes inaccessible, using netstat?
have you checked the application event log? they're the first two things I'd do.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Make sure SABnzbd is no longer running.
Use the Windows Start menu to find this entry:
SABnzbd - Safe Mode
Start that one.
It should reset SABnzbd to 127.0.0.1:8080
delebre

Post by delebre »

Sorry for the delay in response, I've been out of town. My issue still remains unresolved.

I don't know what to check in the Windows logs, but I have noticed that SAB WILL stay active and running just fine as long as I leave Chrome open with SAB up. Otherwise, if I leave it alone for too long I need to use task manager to kill the SAB process then run it again. Then I am able to access the program. How bizarre is this?

I don't know if this matters, but I am using SABconnect++ v0.5.7
I figured it's relevant to this discussion...

Shypike, will the Safe Mode fix anything, or are you just saying to use that next time it is inaccessible?

I think that there is some bug/error that is undiscovered here that is causing it. I am willing to provide logs, etc of anything that might help you uncover this. Just tell me what I need to provide.

Thanks for all the help guys.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

SABnzbd isn't really aware that a browser is running or not,
so it will not be influenced by the browser closing.
After closing the browser and starting it again, how do you try to get access to SABnzbd?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

delebre wrote:
I don't know if this matters, but I am using SABconnect++ v0.5.7
I figured it's relevant to this discussion...
Ah, it indeed could be; in the past there were reports that with SABconnect++ there were a lot of open, unused connections to SABnzbd.
So can you disable SABconnect++ to see if that changes the situation.

EDIT: at the moment SABnzbd stops reacting, can you run the Windows commands below in a CMD box (so open a CMD box, and type the commands)? I'm assuming you're running SAB on the standard ports 8080 and 9090; if not, change accordingly.

Code: Select all

netstat -aon | find /i "8080"

netstat -aon | find /i "9090"
delebre

Post by delebre »

Ok, so this is what I have discovered after playing with it.

First, to answer your questions:
@ Shypike: I use a bookmarked link containing my username/pass. Like so: https://myusername:mypassword@localhost:9090
Though even removing user/pass and just trying: https://localhost:9090/ after it has stopped working, doesn't make a difference.

@ Sander: Here are the netstat commands you requested. I focused on port 9090 as that's what I prefer to run it on.
http://pastebin.com/bWhhGmrJ

Now, that said. What I have discovered is that it's only the HTTPS (SSL) connection that seems to be the issue. I found that I am able to access SAB using: http://localhost:8080/ after the SSL has gone down. So you guys are partially correct when you said that the browser being open/closed shouldn't matter to SAB. However, if I have SAB up on the SSL screen, it stays up all day as long as I don't close that browser window. Whereas if I close it, I can expect it to cut out within an hour or so and become inaccessible to which I have to kill the task, and restart it.. or use the non-SSL access.

Before anyone asks... Yes, I have cleared out the browser cache/cookies, etc. (I use CCleaner). I have also tried using Internet Explorer 9 (v9.0.8112.16421 w update versions 9.04) and it is also unable to open/access the SSL link once it's 'crashed' but does the same as Chrome and can access the HTTP link.

Now, SSL is not a end-all for me. I can disable it for functional purposes, but I feel like this is some sort of issue that shouldn't be occurring, and might be interesting to the developers.. perhaps I found a bug?
It's certainly repeatable.

Thoughts? Questions? I'm willing to see this through :) Hopefully nobody else will run into this.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Yep: a lot of HTTPS connections. That's bad; it causes that SAB stops reacting on HTTPS.

So: did you disable / de-install SABconnect++ ? That should fix it.

If that fixes it, you could use SABconnect++ again, but as a test pointing to the http 8080 interface (and not the https 9090 interface), and see what happens.
delebre

Post by delebre »

Ok, I have yet to disable/uninstall SABconnect++ but I really like having it for easier connectivity with NZBmatrix/Binsearch. Click and go!
Perhaps I should just re-configure it to use the http (8080) connection instead. Is this an issue with SABnzbd and it having problems with SSL? Or is it SABConnect++ crashing it out?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. It's appreciated!
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

delebre wrote:Ok, I have yet to disable/uninstall SABconnect++ but I really like having it for easier connectivity with NZBmatrix/Binsearch. Click and go!
Perhaps I should just re-configure it to use the http (8080) connection instead. Is this an issue with SABnzbd and it having problems with SSL? Or is it SABConnect++ crashing it out?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. It's appreciated!
You can try what happens with SABconnect++ pointing to http:// ... :8080/ . Just keep monitoring the number of netstat connections on port 8080 and 9090.

Maybe that's even more useful: if that works OK all the time, there is something special with SABconnect or SABnzbd and port 9090
delebre

Post by delebre »

Ok, I've swapped it (SABConnect++) to port 8080. Working fine right now. SSL 9090 is still down, as I have not bothered to restart the application. It seems to be working fine. I'll try it for a couple of days and if it consistently works (which is my hypothesis), then we should start bug testing. :)
delebre

Post by delebre »

Are they developed by the same people/group? SABnzbd and SABconnect++?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

delebre wrote:Are they developed by the same people/group? SABnzbd and SABconnect++?
No. Different people.