Valid RARs not unpacking

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
User avatar
Taomyn
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 121
Joined: August 25th, 2008, 3:29 am

Valid RARs not unpacking

Post by Taomyn »

SABnzbd 0.7.18 is telling me that an expected file is missing from a RAR file, but I cannot find anything wrong with it. If I test the archive manually either with WinRAR or Unrar, they both test perfectly and I can extract the content. Here's a log extract: http://pastebin.com/ny6hbBRA

Any ideas, especially the "CRC Mismatch" errors as I have no clue where that's coming from.

User avatar
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers
Posts: 7240
Joined: January 22nd, 2008, 2:22 pm

Re: Valid RARs not unpacking

Post by sander »

FWIW: I downloaded that post without problems on my SAB 0.7.18.

However: Your log shows "\\MARGE\TV\" ... is that a NAS / network share? If so, what happens when you just save locally, so not across your LAN?

"2014-09-17 10:15:08,595::DEBUG::[newsunpack:528] rar_extract(): Extractionpath: \\MARGE\TV\New blabla\ ..." ... unrar across your LAN is discouraged

User avatar
Taomyn
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 121
Joined: August 25th, 2008, 3:29 am

Re: Valid RARs not unpacking

Post by Taomyn »

sander wrote:FWIW: I downloaded that post without problems on my SAB 0.7.18.

However: Your log shows "\\MARGE\TV\" ... is that a NAS / network share? If so, what happens when you just save locally, so not across your LAN?

"2014-09-17 10:15:08,595::DEBUG::[newsunpack:528] rar_extract(): Extractionpath: \\MARGE\TV\New blabla\ ..." ... unrar across your LAN is discouraged
It works just fine as did the other and mostly much larger extracts I was doing around the same time.

What evidence do you have to discourage anything across a LAN? I work with LAN and WAN'd systems all the time for many many years, using all manner of methods to copy/extract files, unzip, unrar, robocopy, ssh, ftp etc etc and have never been discouraged to do so across my LAN!

User avatar
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers
Posts: 7240
Joined: January 22nd, 2008, 2:22 pm

Re: Valid RARs not unpacking

Post by sander »

Taomyn wrote:
What evidence do you have to discourage anything across a LAN? I work with LAN and WAN'd systems all the time for many many years, using all manner of methods to copy/extract files, unzip, unrar, robocopy, ssh, ftp etc etc and have never been discouraged to do so across my LAN!
Empirical evidence in this forum, especially in the case of SMB / Samba shares. For example 2 days ago: http://forums.sabnzbd.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18095

But of course you're free to ignore empirical evidence and analyze it yourself. Could be very useful. One way to do that is more (as in: 100+) unrar commands on rar sets across your network (so: without SABnzbd involved). I expect you so to see intermittent problems.

HTH

User avatar
Taomyn
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 121
Joined: August 25th, 2008, 3:29 am

Re: Valid RARs not unpacking

Post by Taomyn »

My last 50 downloads and not one failure, and the only reason this failure is at the top is because of retrying it, as I did several downloads afterwards without issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1o-jK ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1o-jK ... sp=sharing

I will however do as you suggest and run a script to unrar the same or similar set of archives 100+ times and see what happens. My money is on very little except for wear'n'tear of my hard drives but we'll see.

User avatar
Taomyn
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 121
Joined: August 25th, 2008, 3:29 am

Re: Valid RARs not unpacking

Post by Taomyn »

sander wrote:
Taomyn wrote: Empirical evidence in this forum, especially in the case of SMB / Samba shares. For example 2 days ago: http://forums.sabnzbd.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18095
FYI - I'm using two Windows 2012 R2 servers, so native SMB not SAMBA in my case.

User avatar
Taomyn
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 121
Joined: August 25th, 2008, 3:29 am

Re: Valid RARs not unpacking

Post by Taomyn »

Here you go: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1o-jK ... sp=sharing

Maybe I missed where it didn't work, but I can't find it. I've left it to show the batch command executed in case maybe I transposed them incorrectly from how SABnzbd perform the unrar.

User avatar
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers
Posts: 7240
Joined: January 22nd, 2008, 2:22 pm

Re: Valid RARs not unpacking

Post by sander »

Apart from the fact that I can't open that last link, I'm not sure what you want to show/proof, nor how I can help you.

User avatar
Taomyn
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 121
Joined: August 25th, 2008, 3:29 am

Re: Valid RARs not unpacking

Post by Taomyn »

sander wrote:Apart from the fact that I can't open that last link, I'm not sure what you want to show/proof, nor how I can help you.
It's a log file, as you don't provide attachment upload and it's too big for Pastebin, I had to use Google Drive

User avatar
Taomyn
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 121
Joined: August 25th, 2008, 3:29 am

Re: Valid RARs not unpacking

Post by Taomyn »

I just had two more releases do exactly the same, which is strange as I had downloaded around 10 other releases without incident. I looked on the _UNPACK folder left behind after the failure (on the remote share), and for both the files SABnzbd stated were not unpacked were sitting there in the correct sub-folders. All I needed to do was manually rename them and the files were perfectly fine. Still don't understand why SABnzbd thinks they were not unpacked.

User avatar
shypike
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 21039
Joined: January 18th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Re: Valid RARs not unpacking

Post by shypike »

I have looked at your examples.
They're nothing special, except for one thing: the names are very long.
It could be that they just exceed the maximum possible path length in Windows (at unrar time).
When unrar start truncating file names, then SABnzbd will guess wrong.
Can you email me also a Debug log of the download and post-processing on one of the NZB files?

User avatar
Taomyn
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 121
Joined: August 25th, 2008, 3:29 am

Re: Valid RARs not unpacking

Post by Taomyn »

shypike wrote:I have looked at your examples.
They're nothing special, except for one thing: the names are very long.
It could be that they just exceed the maximum possible path length in Windows (at unrar time).
When unrar start truncating file names, then SABnzbd will guess wrong.
Can you email me also a Debug log of the download and post-processing on one of the NZB files?
There's an entire debug log at the start of this thread, not sure if that's sufficient? http://pastebin.com/ny6hbBRA

I have also shrunk the path to the final folder as well and it hasn't made any difference. As far as I can tell it's only these where the included foldername/filename is made up of random characters that fail, if the names are something sensible it's fine.

At the moment because I'm running .19RC2 all my downloads are failing to unrar properly so I'm not in a position to really test things out without reverting my installation.

User avatar
shypike
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 21039
Joined: January 18th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Re: Valid RARs not unpacking

Post by shypike »

Alas, your debug log doesn't give me new information,
except for the fact that there's nothing special to see.
Do the files as listed in the log actually exist in the folder listed in the log?
The only "special" situation I see is that files are unpacked to a share, I will look into that too.

You say that 19RC makes all unpacking fail.
Fail in which way?
One important difference is that 19RC2 contains unrar 5.11

User avatar
Taomyn
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 121
Joined: August 25th, 2008, 3:29 am

Re: Valid RARs not unpacking

Post by Taomyn »

shypike wrote:Alas, your debug log doesn't give me new information,
except for the fact that there's nothing special to see.

You say that 19RC makes all unpacking fail.
Fail in which way?
One important difference is that 19RC2 contains unrar 5.11
https://forums.sabnzbd.org/viewtopic.ph ... 751#p96744

You even replied to it.

All the destination paths are missing the initial \ or / so it's using \MARGE or /MARGE instead of \\MARGE or //MARGE. I end up with a blank folder structure under the root of the drive where SAB is installed called \MARGE, that contains just .nomedia files. The original RARs remain in the incomplete folder that I now have to unpack manually.

User avatar
shypike
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 21039
Joined: January 18th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Re: Valid RARs not unpacking

Post by shypike »

Sorry, I had a better look at the log now.
Look at the answer there.
It's not easy to keep everything in your head and the relations too :(

Post Reply