sabnzbd won't start after Win10 update (Build 10586.122)

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
manu26

sabnzbd won't start after Win10 update (Build 10586.122)

Post by manu26 »

Hi,

after tuesday's windows update sabnzbd won't start anymore on my machine.

I already uninstalled, cleaned everything and tried to start from scratch. Same problem:

Code: Select all

---------------------------
Errors occurred
See the logfile 'C:\Program Files (x86)\SABnzbd\SABnzbd.exe.log' for details
OK   
I found the mentioned logfile under a different path: C:\Users\[my_username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\SABnzbd\SABnzbd.exe.log

The contents of this file:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "SABnzbd.py", line 1853, in <module>
  File "SABnzbd.py", line 1083, in main
  File "os.pyo", line 171, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 183] Eine Datei kann nicht erstellt werden, wenn sie bereits vorhanden ist: 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\config\\systemprofile\\AppData\\Local\\sabnzbd'
The windows error translates to: "A file cannot be created if it already exists:"

Weird thing: There is no file/path as mentioned in the log.

OK, now I think I fixed it for me: I ran the software once as admin. But I could't find any ini-file. Then I copied my old ini-file to the location where I found the log mentioned above. Now I started sabnzbd wihout admin rights and it seems to work fine. The usual folder structure (admin/logs/scripts) and the sabnzbd.ini.bak appeared.

Might it be that the windows update changed something in how user settings are saved? What about this new location "VirtualStore" instead of directly in [AppData]\Local?

Maybe someone has experienced the same problem. Otherwise (should I be the only one) I apologize for the inconvenience.
Last edited by manu26 on March 3rd, 2016, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: sabnzbd won't start after Win10 update (Build 10586.122)

Post by shypike »

Are you using a local,account or a Microsoft account?
manu26

Post by manu26 »

Only a local account. Never used a Microsoft account.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Thanks for the detailed analysis.
I'll try to find a solution for this.

Double-checking: you say the trouble started after last Tuesday's updates?
Before that, it worked fine?
manu26

Post by manu26 »

OK, I'm starting to believe now that this might be a single issue just for me after all.

I just installed sabnzbd on another machine with the latest win10 updates without a problem.

I still think that the windows updates messed something up for me, but it seems that this was a special case. On my machine with the problem, after the windows updates and the reboot I had an empty desktop and taskbar and some software that autostarts complained about missing config/ini-files. After another reboot everything worked again. I guess this is where the windows update messed something up with my sabnzbd installation. But still weird that I had the same problem after a (supposedly) clean install of sabnzbd. Maybe I missed something.

I don't know if you can replicate the problem or if somebody else will report a similar issue. But I guess for me the problem seems to be solved now.
Thank you very much anyway.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

I can confirm the same as you had after one of the Windows10 updates, after restarting everything seemed to be broken, even anti-virus. But another reboot and everything worked fine again.. Some Microsoft magic it seems!
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
grizzah

Post by grizzah »

Had the same issue..

Noticed i could get sab to launch after starting sab with the old "Run As Administrator" when launching it from the start menu. Download files still wouldnt unpack but found some other issues afterwards.(probably because the files weren't getting saved to the HDD when performing a search for any dloaded files)

Seems like somehow after this windows update SABNzbd config file gets moved to

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\sabnzbd\sabnzbd.ini

which im pretty sure SAB does not have access/permissions to. Also the temp and completed folders end up somewhere here too.

I tried launching sab using the "-f" flag to point it to my old config file (c:\users\<USERNAME>\appdata\local\sabnzbd\sabnzbd.ini) and things seemed to work after that. Not sure what would have cause this tho.

I still noticed that file associations with nzb files cause sab not to launch properly(when double clicking nzb files) but im guessing that may be able to be fixed somehow just havent bothered too much yet. Been loading the nzb files through the queue via the web interface

anyways hopes this helps someone out...

-Grizz

PS.. issue remained after a clean install for me 2
psycik

Post by psycik »

I'm getting similar. (Wont start - W10). I have it running at a service, and it seems sabnznbd-helper is crashing (app crash), tried running sabnzbd-console and get a this application has crash message, windows goes looking for a solution.

I upgraded directly from 0.7.2 - I've always run with the sabnzd.ini file in a specified location, so it wont be in the users/program data directories if that's where sab is expecting it.
psycik

Post by psycik »

Ahh as the others, a reboot certainly helped things. It does seem to start now.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Backup your sabnzbd.ini file, from wherever it got moved. According to the posts above it will probably be:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\sabnzbd\sabnzbd.ini
Otherwise you will have to search.

Then remove SABnzbd (uninstall) and re-install. Then place your backed up sabnzbd.ini back in the correct location, which should be:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\sabnzbd\sabnzbd.ini
Start SABnzbd.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
SamuelShabazz

Post by SamuelShabazz »

manu26 wrote: March 3rd, 2016, 12:47 pm after tuesday's windows update sabnzbd won't start anymore on my machine.

I already uninstalled, cleaned everything and tried to start from scratch. Same problem:
Windows 10 is the root cause of many problems. Glad I'm still on Windows 7. Problems faced - none.
Last edited by SamuelShabazz on September 25th, 2023, 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevenMarshall

Post by StevenMarshall »

SamuelShabazz wrote: July 20th, 2018, 5:42 am
manu26 wrote: March 3rd, 2016, 12:47 pm after tuesday's windows update sabnzbd won't start anymore on my machine.

Windows 10 is the root cause of many problems. Glad I'm still on Windows 7. Problems faced - none.
No doubt, Windows 10 had some initial problems, but they've rolled out some patches and Windows 10 in itself works fine. But, the compatibility issues are still there.