Watch Folder never activates (OSX 10.11/sanzbd 1.03)

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
heavyboots

Watch Folder never activates (OSX 10.11/sanzbd 1.03)

Post by heavyboots »

Hi,

As of version 1.00, I've suddenly had an issue where the watch folder is no longer watched. I've been using BT Sync for a couple years to sync a folder called "nzb downloads" from my work folder to my home machine, such that I can add an nzb file to it and have it sync to my home computer so the show is ready for me to watch when I get home from work. As of version 1.00 though, it seems to have failed.

Anyone ever had this issue or know any fixes? I tried clearing out the watch folder and then re-adding it but it seemed to have no effect. Similarly, files moved into the watch folder directly in the Finder on the home computer don't seem to activate sanzbd either.

Thanks in advance,
Eric.
Alrescha

Re: Watch Folder never activates (OSX 10.11/sanzbd 1.03)

Post by Alrescha »

For what it's worth, it should work.

I have been using 10.11.5 and 1.03 (and now the beta for 1.1) and have no issues with my watched folder (~/downloads).

A.
heavyboots

Post by heavyboots »

Thanks for the info. So you inspired me to tinker a bit and I discovered that it's the  character in the name that's killing it, I think?

At any rate, I removed the  and redefined the path and it immediately started downloading the nzb's in the folder.

So new bug report:

Special character  causes watch folder path to fail.

EDIT: BTW, the only reason I use that character is because it is the only one I can find that alphabetically sorts below everything else in the Finder.
ALbino

Post by ALbino »

I can't even view that character on my PC. Doesn't work in any browser, or in any editors, including everything from Notepad, to Microsoft Word, to UltraEdit.
heavyboots

Post by heavyboots »

Ah, it's the "Apple" character. Like so:

http://i.imgur.com/IcpUY0j.png

It worked fine for a few years. Not sure what changed, either in the OS or the sanzbd app…
ALbino

Post by ALbino »

Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed that. I know they were working on doing a better job of handling character encoding issues so maybe there will be an eventual solution.

Just to give the developers a head start: are you saying that the Apple character worked in 0.7.x but has since stopped working in 1.0.x?
heavyboots

Post by heavyboots »

You know what? I just put the stupid Apple character back in so I could take a screen shot and now that damn thing is *working*?!

I give up, lol. Mark this as resolved and my deepest apologies for taking up your time. Apparently for some unknown reason I had to rename the folder and then name it back again and now Everything is Fine. :-/
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

I think this might be the explanation:

SAB 0.7.x used no Unicode, but 8-bit encodings for everything, including directory names.
The Apple logo is available in Apple’s MacRoman character set as code 240 (= 0xF0), so that was probably used on SAB 0.7.x

SAB 1.x uses Unicode.
The setting in sabnzbd.ini was still something with code 240 (=0xF0), which is not correct unicode for your Apple logo (U+F8FF), so the directory was not found.
Then you removed it from the SABnzbd settings, entered it again, which was now correctly unicode encoded. Problem gone.