Sabnzbd suddenly shuts down without a trace [QNAP]

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
aschneider

Re: Sabnzbd suddenly shuts down without a trace [QNAP]

Post by aschneider »

The qnap firmware itself is up to date. Since one of the installed updates states that Heartbleed has been fixed, and this HAS to be 1.0.2 or greater, there might be some confusion inside the system. Thanks for the heads up, I'll check and report back!
F.Saucer

Post by F.Saucer »

Hello aschneider,
Seems we have similar problems. After the clean install i mentioned and with restarting every day sabnzbd doesn't shut down unexpectedly anymore. Running for a few weeks now. Since today i stopped restarting every day, and check how that's working out. Seems i have the same ssl version you mentioned. Very interestested if you managed to get sab to use a higher version of openssl.
thanks in advance,
F.Saucer
aschneider

Post by aschneider »

Hi there! Part of the problem is the lack of my unix skills. I'm just not able to dig into PUTTY and do a manual upgrade, so I have to rely on pre-existing solutions.
I'll let you know if I was able to upgrade openssl. Support in the qnap forums is pretty slow unfortunately.
F.Saucer

Post by F.Saucer »

My unix skills are unfortunately not that good eather ;-)) Found other threads in the qnap forum (parex, https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... sl#p545300) where the problem was adressed earlier, but sadly with no solution found.

My installed version of openssl is 1.02h (type in openssl from the putty prompt, after the cursus states "openssl" type "version", the "exit" to exit openssl), so no idea where it gets the 0.97 openssl version from. I assume it is from a python environment. So after that i have installed the python-openssl from the entware-ng package https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... it=entware, http://entware.zyxmon.org/binaries/armv5/Packages.html, but still have the same version 0.97 in SABNZBD after restarting SABNZBD (Haven't restarted the nas however...,) Read this thread closely if you haven't entware installed and are planning to do so.

Lots of success!!
aschneider

Post by aschneider »

That's strange. I seem to be on 1.0.1t...
Will check out entware once more. I had it installed but found no use for it.
F.Saucer

Post by F.Saucer »

Ok,

i got a bit forward on the issue....

I managed to update the pyOpenSSL from 11.0 to 16.0.0
When entware-ng installed install python-pyopenssl from putty with "opkg install python-pyopenssl"

I am running a raid5, my python openssl gets installed to: /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Entware-ng/lib/python2.7/site-packages/OpenSSL/
If you are not running raid5, you'll probably find the .qpkg directory in share/HDA_DATA/....
you copy the files from the directory </share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Entware-ng/lib/python2.7/site-packages/OpenSSL/> to the directory </share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/SABnzbdplus/arm/python/OpenSSL/>
When you restart sabnzbd the pyOpenSSL version is updated.

I still can't manage the openSSL version however.
I think Sabnzbd gets this version from the SSl.so file in the same directory </share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/SABnzbdplus/arm/python/OpenSSL/> or from the file libssl.so.0.9.8 in the directory </share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/SABnzbdplus/arm/lib/>.

You got a clue on that?
F.Saucer

Post by F.Saucer »

I don't know if i need to search further.
Is it possible that someone from the Sabnzbd team state which SSL version Sabnzbd is using on my configuration? Is it the OpenSSL version 0.9.7a or the pyOpenSSl version 16?

2016-07-27 14:45:35,709::INFO::[SABnzbd:527] pyOpenSSL... found (True)
2016-07-27 14:45:35,711::INFO::[SABnzbd:1372] SSL version OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003
2016-07-27 14:45:35,713::INFO::[SABnzbd:1373] pyOpenSSL version 16.0.0
2016-07-27 14:45:35,715::INFO::[SABnzbd:1374] SSL potentially supported protocols ['SSLv2', 'SSLv23', 'SSLv3', 'TLSv1']
2016-07-27 14:45:35,716::INFO::[SABnzbd:1375] SSL actually supported protocols ['t1', 'v23', 'v3', 'v2']
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

It's a combination, to use openssl, python needs pyopenslll. It's sort of an interface to talk to openssl.
From the error it's not really clear if that C file is part of openssl or pyopenslll, if it's pyopenslll you might be lucky and the update will have fixed it :)
Test and see!

Edit: actually Googeling I found that the error generating bit is part of openssl, so you still need to find a way to update that.. :/
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
F.Saucer

Post by F.Saucer »

Thanks for your quick response.... i googled around the whole day and couldn't find a way to fix it. On my system openssl 1.02 is running, but it seems the qnap install only takes the openssl from the directory .qpkg/SABnzbdplus/arm/python/OpenSSL/. It contains a file called SSL.SO, which i suspect is containing the old version. But removing it (hoping sabnzbd falls back on the system version of openssl) hasn't worked. i didn't find a way to update this file. The first problems i found of this particular error trace back to 2011 and i never found a solution posted..... In fact i can't find the way to create this file on the internet. Only hope is that clinton.hall will react to this issue as i assume the old openssl version is delivered with the .qpkg package on qnap.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

It could be die to your specific NAS, is it maybe an older version with an ARM chipset? This might make it harder to compile binaries for that platform, maybe the reason the clinton hall package gives this old version.

Will add that, personally, I never use SSL for Usenet. All the attention is on the uploaders and the torrenters, it seems highly unlikely (to me) that somebody is going to try and sniff what articles you're downloading for usenet.
But that's just my feelings about it ;)
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
F.Saucer

Post by F.Saucer »

Could be, it's a qnap 421 arm indeed not that old, but the problem could derive from there. The attention varies per country. Of course i download only non-copyrighted material (i'm probably the same type of user as you are), but in follow up on more recent devellopments i wanted to scale up security one step more....
Let's hope the solution comes from the qnap forum....
Thanks again for your help!
F.Saucer

Post by F.Saucer »

The problem of shutting down without a trace is not solved. After stopping to restart every day, SAB stopped again (without a trace) on my qnap.
Unfortunately i can't reproduce the error and the logs don't give a clue. It could be an external cause as safihre suggested earlier, but it only affects SabNzbd.
For now my conclusion is that the problem is isolated to my qnap (so not a sabnzbd problem itsself). My workaround is to restart every day.

Thx for the perfect support and dedication from the developers in this forum. Couldn't be better!!! Respect!!

:D :D
aschneider

Post by aschneider »

Soo I've been toying around a bit and found nothing new. Out of curiosity, I installed nzbget on my qnap.
This one runs smoothly on SSL, and I get around 25% more download rate than with sabnzbd. So even though there's no solution yet, I'm glad there are viable alternatives out there.