Too many connections error with Cheapnews backup

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
guitarboy

Too many connections error with Cheapnews backup

Post by guitarboy »

I subscribe to three servers. My default is NewsDemon, and I use both Astraweb and Cheapnews as backups (by giving them lower priority).

Except that Cheapnews constantly gives me a "Too Many Connections" error when SABnzbd tries to use it. I never get that error with the other servers. I've tried changing the number of connections for all servers and shifting the priorities. When Cheapnews is the default (priority 0) it works fine, but as soon as I give it a lower priority I start getting the errors (which also means that it's not working as a backup).

I've contacted Cheapnews support and they are trying to help, but also reaching out to this forum for assistance.

This reddit post discusses a similar problem with Eweka.

I always use the latest version of SABnzbd (currently on 1.1.1) on Windows 10. I also use Avast antivirus, which may be a factor.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Too many connections error with Cheapnews backup

Post by safihre »

We recently discovered a bug in Sab that might be responsible for this.
It should be fixed soon, but for now instead of using the domain name, fill the IP address in the Host field of the Server.
News.cheapnews 78.152.55.164
Block.cheapnews 78.152.55.165

Does that help?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
guitarboy

Post by guitarboy »

Thanks. I'll try that and let you know.
guitarboy

Post by guitarboy »

I changed the host to the IP address. I'm trying a download that I know has missing articles and so attempts to reach the backup servers. I'm not seeing errors in the Queue like I saw before and I am seeing intermittent connections to Cheapnews. When I test the server while the download is running I get the error: " 502 concurrent connection limit in avast! exceeded(pass:0, processes:SABnzbd.exe[49], svchost.exe[1])". That makes me think there's some conflict between Avast Antivirus and SABnzbd (but only when it tries to connect to Cheapnews??).

The download eventually aborts. With no download running the server test is successful.

The download report reads:

Name: XXXXXXXXX.S01E02.720p.HDTV.x264-FLEET
Completed: 21/11/2016 23:55
Size: 74 KB
Category: tv
Path:
Source: https://nzb.su/getnzb/...
Download: Downloaded in 40 seconds at an average of 2 KB/s
204 articles were missing
Aborted, cannot be completed
Servers: europe-ssl.newsdemon.com=9 KB, eu.news.astraweb.com=13 KB, us-secure.newsdemon.com=13 KB, block.cheapnews.eu=15 KB, ssl.astraweb.com=24 KB

I guess that collection has been nuked on all those servers. I thought you would find the report helpful to see that connections were attempted to all the backup servers.

Here are my current server settings. I've tried reducing the number of connections but that doesn't seem to help. I should be within the threshold allowed by Avast unless connections are not getting properly closed.

Server:us-secure.newsdemon.com
Priority:0
# Connections: 0 / 15

Server: block.cheapnews.eu
Priority: 1
# Connections: 0 / 8

Server: europe-ssl.newsdemon.com
Priority: 2

Server: ssl.astraweb.com
Priority: 3

Server: eu.news.astraweb.com
Priority: 4
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

In Avast (I also have it) you should disable NNTP scanning. This will also speed up your PC.
Surprisingly, it's under the Email-part.

But it's not surprising that your test will fail during the download, because due to the missing articles SAB will have opened all possible connections to Cheapnews. Even though it's not actively using them to download all of the time, it's keeping them open in case another article needs to be tried on Cheapnews. Only after a timeout or at the end of the queue, all connections will be closed.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
guitarboy

Post by guitarboy »

I've disabled NNTP scanning. Thanks for the tip.

So far so good - not getting any Cheapnews errors since I changed the IP address.

I'm a little confused about the whole missing articles thing. As far as I know these servers are from different backbones. When a download has a lot of missing articles on all the backbones, does that mean a particularly effective takedown?

The file I'm testing with isn't a particularly popular or heavily downloaded source. It seems odd that it would be corrupted in all those locations.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

The takedowns are automated nowadays, if they flag a file they can send out a takedown-request to all providers in seconds..
Glad to hear it's working though!