Decoder Failure Out of Memory - tried 200M upto 2000M

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
nikuk

Decoder Failure Out of Memory - tried 200M upto 2000M

Post by nikuk »

Version 1.2.0
Installed as a service
Service set with "Above Normal" priority

Every few hours SAB pauses due to Decoder Failure Out of Memory. This was originally with the stock 450M setting. I have tried settings along the lines of: 200M 500M 800M 2000M 2G and 50M. They all eventually run out of memory. At this moment in time I have 1.09 TB in queue.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Decoder Failure Out of Memory - tried 200M upto 2000M

Post by safihre »

Try not running it as a service for a while. When it runs as a service, the OS will try to limit the amount of memory used whenever it feels like it's too much.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
nikuk

Post by nikuk »

This is installed like a "portable" install, on a large virtual drive. It is not referenced to the OS drive at all. So, how would I installed / run it as 'not a service' while not referencing the OS drive?
This is on a 'headless' / low maintenance box. Its meant to be mostly a "set & forget" type of thing.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

You can run it from the command line, specifying the path to the Config file.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
nikuk

Post by nikuk »

I rebooted and shut down the service and helper service. I ran it from shortcut with -f parameter for config. With cache of 200M is failed Decoder failure: Out of memory. With cache of 800M is failed Decoder failure: Out of memory.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Maybe the number of jobs is really too high and the amount of memory each job uses while being queued, is adding up.
Does it error out immediately?

Otherwise you can try for now to Pause (using the multi-edit button in the right top) a huge chunk of the queue. When it's paused, it will use less memory.
nikuk

Post by nikuk »

Still fighting with this issue.

Under the direction of @safihre's last post I paused the vast majority of the queue to the point where I only have 16 items not paused. Still errors out. Queue is currently 9.93% - 205800.72/228499.89 MB - Time left: 0:00:00 ETA: Unknown

As I type this post I am down to one single item not paused and I'm watching the memory ... usage climbed steadily upto 891 MB over roughly 30 seconds and SAB errors out for decoder failure out of memory. Queue is currently 97.66% - 557.89/23877.00 MB - Time left: 0:00:00 ETA: unknown

I currently have the cache limit set to 2000M. I've checked in the UI as well as the .cfg.
The computer has 16 GB of ram installed and total utilization is less than 30% when SAB errors out.
SAB 1.2.0. Running SAB from the program from the shortcut with -f param to the config file. Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
Last edited by nikuk on February 25th, 2017, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nikuk

Post by nikuk »

I don't think that I've tried "0" as a setting yet. Since everything lands on an SSD let me try that a while and see how long she lasts.
nikuk

Post by nikuk »

nikuk wrote:I don't think that I've tried "0" as a setting yet. Since everything lands on an SSD let me try that a while and see how long she lasts.
Well she hasn't errorred out since the above quoted post...

I've spot checked usage and currently RAM @ 636 MB, disk @ 38.2 MB/s

:shrug:
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Can you maybe try our new 2.0.0Alpha1 release?
It's much faster.
nikuk

Post by nikuk »

I'm honestly kinda hesitant since I seem to have finally gotten this working fully...
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

I understand ;)