Disk error on creating file

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
hamid313

Disk error on creating file

Post by hamid313 »

Hi
on my Debian sabnzbd setup I get the following error a lot.
Disk error on creating file /d/.i/58ad0dce18688160/58ad0dce18688160.7.rar.vol127+64.par2
My sabnzbd is 2.2.1RC2. I had this problem with latest stable version too.
The problem is after the error sabnzbd pauses itself so I have to run a cron to resume it every time!.

This is the part of log file about that file:

Code: Select all

2017-10-16 09:55:05,170::INFO::[assembler:94] Decoding /d/.i/58ad0dce18688160/58ad0dce18688160.7.rar.vol127+64.par2 yenc
2017-10-16 09:55:05,171::ERROR::[assembler:104] Disk error on creating file /d/.i/58ad0dce18688160/58ad0dce18688160.7.rar.vol127+64.par2
2017-10-16 09:55:05,171::INFO::[downloader:277] Pausing

I did google this issue and all I could find was increase the folder_max_length settings. My current folder_max_length ( 256 ) is 256 which seems to be the default. Also I'm using symlinks so my path starts with /d/.i/ (very short path)

Regards
Hamid
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Disk error on creating file

Post by sander »

What kind of mount and disk is /d/.i/ ?

After such an error, what disk speed do you get when you click on Status (=wrench symbol), and then the refresh symbol on the right of "Download folder speed"?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

This error is thrown by sabnzbd when the disk system tells us we cannot write to it. It can be a permissions issue or maybe something went wrong with the folders?
The folder it's trying to write to, it exists and is writable for the sabnzbd user?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
hamid313

Post by hamid313 »

Download folder speed 66.9 MB/s
Complete folder speed 19.4 MB/s

symlink to /home/user/download/incomplete

The folder it's trying to write to, it exists and is writable for the sabnzbd user?

Yes the download is working but sometimes I'm getting this error for some files.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Question: why did it take one week for your reply?

Now your replies:
Are those two folders on different drives as the speeds are different?
Why the /d/.i/ ?
What if you use the plain /home/user/download/incomplete ?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

I will add to 2.3.1 extra logging to get the exact error that is being thrown.
On Linux system the path-length is not important, this is really only applicable to Windows. No need to create this shorter paths.
Are you sure your disks and permissions are alright?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
tranx

Post by tranx »

Hi, I would like to report that this is happening to me as well with SABnzbd 2.2.1 on Linux. It's not a problem with directory permissions, as this is only happening randomly. SABnzbd will pause, and when asked to continue, it will work fine. Also the files and the directories it's complaining about have been created by SABnzbd so I can't see how that would be a problem with permissions.

Note I have been using this same configuration and folder structure with SABnzbd 0.7.6 for many years without any issues, then switched to 2.1.0 and this problem started.

It seems to be happening with PAR2 files only, and my personal suspicion is that this is some sort of race condition like it's trying to create the file but the directory does not exist anymore or something like that.

Error looks like this on the log:

2017-10-17 14:09:07,360::ERROR::[assembler:104] Disk error on creating file /home/nzb/SABnzbd/downloads/incomplete/Directory1/file1.vol00+01.par2

My speeds are :

Download folder speed: 111.1 MB/s
Complete folder speed: 158.3 MB/s
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Technically it could be a racing condition.
Could both of you set logging to Debug in the Status window and then after it happens again or if you already had logging set to Debug, send me the log at [email protected]?
Also @tranx please update to 2.3.0 first, to be sure :)
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

safihre wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 3:02 pm I will add to 2.3.1 extra logging to get the exact error that is being thrown.
That extra logging is https://github.com/sabnzbd/sabnzbd/comm ... ef07ef417e , right?

If so, as the two posters in this thread are Linux users: if they understand git, they could run it now ... correct?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Yes indeed they could, but if it is a race-condition then we would also see that in the current logs (we look for file/folder deletions).
tranx

Post by tranx »

Hi, Thanks everyone for the quick response. I will update to 2.3.0 and enable Debug logging and will post as soon as I have news.

Thanks again!
hamid313

Post by hamid313 »

sander wrote: October 24th, 2017, 5:13 am
safihre wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 3:02 pm I will add to 2.3.1 extra logging to get the exact error that is being thrown.
That extra logging is github com/sabnzbd/sabnzbd/commit/bfcf56ec456fba0c8f07566915af8aef07ef417e , right?

If so, as the two posters in this thread are Linux users: if they understand git, they could run it now ... correct?
I've setup the extra logging from this link and waiting for the error to occure again.
My error logging is also set to debug
Last edited by hamid313 on October 24th, 2017, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
hamid313

Post by hamid313 »

sander wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 2:35 pm Question: why did it take one week for your reply?
I had a personal issue and I forgot to setup notification on this thread
Are those two folders on different drives as the speeds are different?
no both same drives I don't know why the speed was different

Download folder speed
24.7 MB/s (/d/.i)
Complete folder speed
135.7 MB/s (/d/.c)

new test completely different however I should tell you this is an active downloading system and I'm downloading 2TB/month
Why the /d/.i/ ?
What if you use the plain /home/user/download/incomplete ?
[/quote]
I google the error and some people said that the folder length might be the issue.
on some occasions the folder length was indeed too high so I changed it to this so it won't be the folder length .
I can change it back if you like as it's a symlink and it doesn't matter to me.
tranx

Post by tranx »

Hi,

I have 2.3.0 with Debug enabled. I noticed sabyenc is now 3.3.1.

In my case the download and complete folders are different, download is a SSD drive and complete is a disk array of multiple terabytes

The download folder is running EXT4 FS and complete is a XFS FS

Again, never had any issues with this same configuration after many years of using SAB version 0.7.6

Thanks everyone!
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

The whole log would be needed when it fails again. So we can see where it was deleted too early, if it was.