Smart trafic shaping

Want something added? Ask for it here.
noice

Smart trafic shaping

Post by noice »

Hello,

Trafic shaping is a great option but who knows its maximum download speed?
With my current cable telecom provider, it varies greatly: I can get x2 speed depending on the hours, which is now common with the cable and fiber deployment plans here in France (bottleneck is not the last mile).

I would really benefit from a "smart" trafic shaping option, which would work that way:
- At regular intervals, the speed limit is disabled for aprox. 5-10seconds and SABnzbd calculates its maximum download speed.
- Then, the speed limit would be configured at 80% (or whatever the user has configured) of the maximum download speed calcultated.

This would be really more flexible and anyway, that's what we tend to do manually when there are performance issue: Check the download speed of SABnzbd and adjust the speed limit manually.
Automation would be great.

Thanks,
Noice
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Smart trafic shaping

Post by shypike »

Nice idea, it will go on the wish list. However the list is rather long...
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Smart trafic shaping

Post by sander »

Nice idea indeed, but there a few things to take care of. For example: if the newsserver is the limiting factor, SAB should not further limit the traffic. So, for example: DSL is 20 Mbps and delivering that, Newsserver is maxing at 12 Mbps, so there is always plenty room (8 Mbps) for non-SAB traffic. SAB should then not limit it's traffic to 80% of 12 Mbps.

Solution could be that SAB should (also) measure an non-newssgroup download and if that goes too slow, then throttle SAB traffic. Oh wait, then you will also need to know the total line ....