please change free space monitoring to include compl. downl.

Want something added? Ask for it here.
Ludwig

please change free space monitoring to include compl. downl.

Post by Ludwig »

"Minimum Free Space for Completed Download Folder:" would be much more useful. After all the temp folder is freed again after something finished unpacking. The completed download folder on the other hand may well reside on another partition or drive and may not be freed so quickly, depending on when its full or when the user has time to clean it up. So if anything should be monitored for free space, it's the drive where the completed files go to.

Should you implement the above, please also provide another option that lets sabnzbd download files to the temp folder until it reaches its free space threshold. Just let it download and forfeit unpacking until there's enough free space on the partition containing the competed download folder.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: please change free space monitoring to include compl. do

Post by shypike »

With the introduction of categories and sorting it becomes unpredictable where files go to.
Also unpacking makes that SABnzbd doesn't know beforehand if there's enough space.
The reason you can guard the temporary folder is that a full disk there can mess up
the downloading jobs, resulting in wasted downloads.
Post-processing will just abort when the destination disk is full and you can safely retry from history.

The only thing that might be useful to add is a retry-all button.
Ludwig

Post by Ludwig »

What happens when the "complete" disk is full while unpacking an archive is unpacking is aborted and the file that was being written to deleted, freeing up a bit of space. So you end up with too little disk space to fully unpack a download but still have some free space left. Sabnzbd then goes and moves files from the temp folder to the complete download folder until that folder can't store any more of the parts, but then you have your download sitting in two places. 1st part still in the temp dir on one partition, 2nd part in the complete dir on the other partition.

Sabnzbd then tries to finish the rest of the download queue. It downloads and tries to extract. Some smaller downloads might fit into the gap left by the previous bigger download. But most medium sized downloads are just split again. Sabnzbd downloads them, tries to unpack, notices there isn't enough disk space, deletes any partially written files, tries to move over parts, aborts moving as the disk becomes too full to store another part, then continues with the next download. So after one night of leaving it running you end up with 15 to 20 downloads that didn't unpack and are scattered between two locations waiting for you to piece them back together. In such cases the retry button isn't really of much help.

But that's just that.

You're saying categories and sorting makes it unpredictable where files go to. This i find pretty interesting. As far as I know all the sorting is taking place on one partition, which is known to sabnzbd can can easily be monitored. I haven't found any setting that would let me move categories to other partitions, just other subdirectories on the same partition. Even if it was possible to specify other drives sabnzbd still has to know where to put stuff, so it consequentially has to know which drives to look after. Please apologize if I missed something.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Ludwig wrote:What happens when the "complete" disk is full while unpacking an archive is unpacking is aborted and the file that was being written to deleted, freeing up a bit of space...

Even if it was possible to specify other drives sabnzbd still has to know where to put stuff, so it consequentially has to know which drives to look after. Please apologize if I missed something.
One problem is that unrar doesn't always return usable error messages.
But SABnzbd will see that something is wrong and will not delete the source files.
Also SABnzbd never removes failed destination folders.
This is a precaution, we prefer taking no risks with your media collection.
The scenario where SABnzbd simply moves files from "temp" to "final" is indeed a weak point.
True moving of files within a single partition should not be a problem, but the copy/delete over partitions
should be done more carefully. In the sense that first all copies should be done and after that
deletion of the originals.
It is very hard to make fail-safe scenarios for disk-full situations, especially when SABnzbd isn't the
only program writing data.

2. You missed the fact that you can use a fully qualified path for each category (d:\my_shows and e:\my_movies).
Ludwig

Post by Ludwig »

shypike wrote:2. You missed the fact that you can use a fully qualified path for each category (d:\my_shows and e:\my_movies).
Which are known to sabnzbd and should be parsable by it. stringleft($path, 3), speaking AutoIt. I'm sorry, but as of yet there has been no reason given why this shouldn't be possible.
Ludwig

Post by Ludwig »

Sorry for double posting. This is supposed to be a heads up for anyone (still) interested in this topic.

As suspected monitoring the completed download partition(s) is indeed very possible to do. I'm currently testing an AutoIt script doing exactly that. It works by creating a look up table extracting categories and their paths from sabnzbd.ini and supplying the default download drive where no fully qualified path is found from which to extract the drive letter. The only bug encountered so far had to do with the AutoIt script expecting an array at a time when there was none. This points to some internal issues but nothing major that would invalidate the concept of automatically pausing downloads according to free disk space on the completed download partition(s).

It's kinda funny to see how a download you just resumed manually is being paused again in strict compliance with the laid out rules of how it's supposed to work.

Anyway, I hope to release it some time during the upcoming weekend after some more polishing. Any ideas where I can upload files to? Pretty much all somewhat useful one-click hosters have shut down over the last couple of months.

PS: It just paused all remaining downloads with 0.57GB of disk space remaining.
Spikey84

Post by Spikey84 »

Hi,

First of all I have to agree with Ludwig that it makes more sense to monitor the destination free space. This way you also don't have to pause the whole queue but only the categories which will be written to that destination.

And another thing I would really love, which is very much related to the request of Ludwig is, to see a "free space" icon (like there is already in the plush+ theme for the download and temp disk) for every disk that's being used as a destination folder by the categories. I would find it very handy especially for systems on which you not often log on to, to see how it's doing. Then you still can see in a quick view if the destination folders will have enough free space for your new download, or that you have to make some free space first.
I know it can be a lot of disks, so maybe it's a feature which you could enable and disable in the configurations menu (e.q. in the categories tab it self).

P.S. if you rather have me making a separate feature request please let me know.