Update unrar and support for RAR5 format

Want something added? Ask for it here.
mokomaki

Update unrar and support for RAR5 format

Post by mokomaki »

Latest version of RAR archiver was released shortly (5.0) and it comes with a new RAR5 format as well as some changes.

"old style extension based arcname.rNN volume names are not supported by RAR 5.0 archives, which use only arcname.partN.rar volume names"

So, this means - in order for Sabnzb to be able to handle both the "old" RAR (4.0) format and new RAR5 format files, it should be able to recognize the new archive naming scheme vs the old one as well as have the latest unrar executables in use.

Some developer should check, if there is handling based on the rar file names inside Sabnzb and make approriate changes. If it is handled purely by the unrar executable, I don't think there is any changes needed.

Unrar executables: http://www.rarlab.com/rar_add.htm

Change log for rar 5: http://www.rarlab.com/rarnew.htm
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Update unrar and support for RAR5 format

Post by shypike »

I'll check, but the WinRAR people would be pretty stupid and customer-hostile if they don't support
unpacking old-style multi-part archives.
The question is whether the new RAR5 format will become popular on Usenet.
95% of posts do not actually use any compression and just use RAR as a convenient wrapper.
LV-426

Re: Update unrar and support for RAR5 format

Post by LV-426 »

mokomaki wrote: "old style extension based arcname.rNN volume names are not supported by RAR 5.0 archives, which use only arcname.partN.rar volume names"
From my understanding this means you cant use arcname.rNN volume names on RAR 5.0 archives, it doesn't mean it wont unpack RAR 4.0 archives with arcname.rNN volume names.

If someone managed to create a RAR 5.0 archive using arcname.rNN volume names then you would have a problem :D