Server Nicknames

Want something added? Ask for it here.
ALbino

Server Nicknames

Post by ALbino »

I know in the Roadmap that server priority is coming (can't wait, it's the most important missing feature imho), but in the meantime would it be possible to just add a field so we could give the servers a name other than the address, and then have them display alphabetically based on that. Currently they're just in a random order even though some are primary and others are backup, and they have messy names like "ssl-us-news.provider.tld". It would be much nicer if we could just call it something like "Provider US" or "01 - Provider US" so that US/EU/etc from the same provider follow each other in order as opposed to being near other unrelated providers. That gives other slight benefits as well; for example what I like to do for block accounts is put "Provider US - 100gb" so I know when I'm near my limit. Just my two cents. Thanks.
doubledrat
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Server Nicknames

Post by doubledrat »

as a workaround, you could always give your servers "dns" aliases.

If you nslookup ssl-us-news.provider.tld and find its IP address, you can then put that ip address under the name 01provUS100gb.com by putting it in your hosts file.

obviously this will break if your provider changes ip addresses, but that's relatively unlikely.
doubledrat
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by doubledrat »

as for the order of servers, I suspect they are presented in the order that the appear in the ini file. backup the ini file and then rearrange them within the file to change the order
ALbino

Post by ALbino »

Good suggestions, I'll look into it, thanks!