Rename +Delete post-processing option

Want something added? Ask for it here.
Cpuroast
Release Testers
Release Testers

Rename +Delete post-processing option

Post by Cpuroast »

Hi Shypike,

I was wondering if it would be possible to rename the "+Delete" post-processing option to "+Delete Source".

The current name causes many users to overreact thinking sab would actually go ahead and delete what it had just downloaded, source and all, and then proceed to change the default to download, +repair or +unpack and then wonder why Sab isn't doing its full post-processing.

Probably doesn't justify another 0.7.x release unless you have other fixes ready to go.

Thanks!
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Rename +Delete post-processing option

Post by shypike »

We're definitely not bringing out a new 0.7.x just for this :)
Yes, in retrospect better names could have been chosen.
The assumption has always been that users understand the "manual" process of Usenet downloading.
I doubt whether many users still know that.
Somehow, I think it would be better to simplify. Something like "raw download" and "normal".
Cpuroast
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by Cpuroast »

I know exactly what's happening behind the scenes, since I'm a long time Usenet user and I've done many completely manual post-processing operations.
It's the downside of abstracting everything and doing everything transparently for the user, since, they don't understand what went wrong when it does.
But things like CP, SB and SAB has made it for the most part a walk in the park and then users get confused when something throws it out of whack.

However, I'm pretty sure, simply changing it to "+Delete Source" or "+Delete Packed Files" would remove most of the confusion.

Any ETA on the first internal beta of 0.8.0?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Cpuroast wrote: Any ETA on the first internal beta of 0.8.0?
Somewhere this month.