More PARs

Want something added? Ask for it here.
sabbert

More PARs

Post by sabbert »

Hello!

As far as I can tell, SABnzbd will always download the smallest (+1) PAR2 block from a given post. I'd like to suggest an option that enables SAB to download either a larger, given number of PAR2 blocks, or a certain percentage of the total size, or if that's too difficult to implement, just download the largest known PAR2 file instead.

The point is, when a post is slightly damaged and 1 PAR2 block is not enough, the post will go back to the download queue and verification and repairs start all over again.

With my Internet connection speed, downloading an additional 50-100 MB is much faster than having it go through the entire verification/repair process again. This gets worse with bigger downloads, over a few GBs.

Thank you :)
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: More PARs

Post by safihre »

What version of Sabnzbd do you use?
There's already many optimizations of this in 1.1.1 and the only reason a job would send back twice to the queue is if the extra pars were damaged.
It doesn't download 1 par, it downloads the exact number par2 tells us that it still needs.

In the Config Switches you can set Download all par2, this will do exactly what you want.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
sabbert

Post by sabbert »

Sorry for the confusion, it's not being sent to the queue twice. Once the 1st verification has taken place it will download just the number of PAR required, that's true.

What I mean is, preventing the job from going back to the queue in the first place by downloading the largest PAR2. I'm pretty sure it initially only downloads 1 PAR2 block (I always see one in the _admin folder).

The "Download all PAR2" option which is available in newer version solves this, but that's overkill in 99% of the cases.

Thanks for the reply, I'll enable that and see how it goes.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

That par2 file usually has no repair blocks and only contains the list of files, that's why we download it so we can verify the integrity of files quickly (QuickCheck).
In 1.1.0+ we detect during download if some articles are broken, if so we already get extra par2 blocks during the download instead of only after the first check. However, sometimes we can't detect errors in files during download and it will need to go back to queue.
But the Prospective par2 function should catch 99% of cases so jobs never have to go back to queue :)
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
sabbert

Post by sabbert »

Alright, I didn't know about the "Prospective" PAR2 function so I'll give that a try.

I was on a pre-1.0 version (0.7-something I believe) and that version did automatically download 1 recovery block, I'm now using 1.1.1 and it no longer does that.

I liked that feature because it allows par2 to verify+repair in one run. :) Hopefully that prospecive feature works just as well.