Merge MediaRover into Sab

Want something added? Ask for it here.
qrb123

Merge MediaRover into Sab

Post by qrb123 »

Seriously. this would make sab a lot better!!!
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Merge MediaRover into Sab

Post by inpheaux »

Why build it in when it seems to be working perfectly fine as-is?
rollingeyeball
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by rollingeyeball »

So it has more of a support team.
Better integration. No fiddling around with scripts
Ease of use. Sab has an established GUI and people that work on it.
So it's more widely known, used and accepted as being godly (not unlike SAB itself)
It's a HUGE feature that would look awesome on a changelog and bring in users to sab (Don't know if this is appealing, not like anyone makes money but I dunno)

I love the concept but I don't see this happening in the near future, so I won't push for it. :)
qrb123

Post by qrb123 »

inpheaux wrote: Why build it in when it seems to be working perfectly fine as-is?
I mean sure it works fine on it's own with sab, you are right.

I just think that many people who run sab would appreciate the features that MR brings. I hate to sterotype, but I think I got a pretty good idea of what most of us use sab for, and MR makes one hell of an addition towards that goal....  After all, sab isn't exactly your casual user, usenet agent, it's geared towards those of us who lean towards an attitude of "He who downloads the most before he dies, wins" - it's certainly professional grade gear.

Also people may not know that something like MR exists.   I have been running Sab for over a year, and just recently found out about the awesomeness that MR is.

Sab already has an RSS feature, but this feature is no where near as robust as having the two running together.   Sure, more work could go into improving this, but why reinvent the wheel when there is MR available already?  Also, if it shipped with sab, it would make it even easier for a new user to setup, and this one is key.  Make it easy, and robust as hell, and everyone will flock to it.    

I really think it would be a great enhancement to sab.  I also think it would be a great enhancement to MR - A good symbiotic relationship.  

After that - get whoever the people are making the sab newzbin firefox plug-in on board...   Can you imagine doing a search, clicking on the plugin, and selecting an option like "Subscribe to series" and having sab do the rest?  That would be kick ass and very attainable with a merge.  It could truly be the "Tivo" of downloading.

Obviously I speak for neither development team, just offering my opinion as to what I feel would be a good fit for projects to merge.
Last edited by qrb123 on October 5th, 2009, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rollingeyeball
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by rollingeyeball »

Don't tease me qrb123.
'Tivo of usenet' is much too appealing.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

Ok, how's this: one of the features we've been kicking around for post-0.5 is a plugin system. Early in the 0.5 development cycle (well, maybe not early, but earlier) we had all kinds of experimental stuff being tacked on. Streaming, Streaming something while it was downloading, a full on media library with playlists and stuff, and after awhile we realized for many users this stuff is out of scope, so why build it in?

Since then, we've been trying to stick to the Unix Philosophy. Do one thing, do it well, and be highly interoperable with other programs. Our one thing is downloading stuff from usenet via NZBs. We're being highly interoperable and extensible via our API and post-processing scripts. A plugin system would be another way to make sabnzbd more extensible. All the streaming and media library features could be built back as an optional plugin. A slick user interface could be written for MediaRover that fully integrated it into SABnzbd. Search page plugins could be written for various NZB indexers. All these features we've been holding off on because they were considered out-of-scope would be back on the table.

(Apart from this, there's also the whole legality issue. We don't want to build in a feature that would specifically endorse illegal use of our software. MediaRover probably crosses that line, or at least gets close enough to make us worry. Same thing with the renaming functionality, but we've already discussed spinning the renamer out into a plugin once we get a plugin system.)
rollingeyeball
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by rollingeyeball »

I never thought of that. It actually makes alot of sense to keep sticking with one thing.
However you progress is cool guys. You obviously know what you're doing :D
qrb123

Post by qrb123 »

inpheaux wrote: Ok, how's this: one of the features we've been kicking around for post-0.5 is a plugin system. Early in the 0.5 development cycle (well, maybe not early, but earlier) we had all kinds of experimental stuff being tacked on. Streaming, Streaming something while it was downloading, a full on media library with playlists and stuff, and after awhile we realized for many users this stuff is out of scope, so why build it in?

Since then, we've been trying to stick to the Unix Philosophy. Do one thing, do it well, and be highly interoperable with other programs. Our one thing is downloading stuff from usenet via NZBs. We're being highly interoperable and extensible via our API and post-processing scripts. A plugin system would be another way to make sabnzbd more extensible. All the streaming and media library features could be built back as an optional plugin. A slick user interface could be written for MediaRover that fully integrated it into SABnzbd. Search page plugins could be written for various NZB indexers. All these features we've been holding off on because they were considered out-of-scope would be back on the table.

(Apart from this, there's also the whole legality issue. We don't want to build in a feature that would specifically endorse illegal use of our software. MediaRover probably crosses that line, or at least gets close enough to make us worry. Same thing with the renaming functionality, but we've already discussed spinning the renamer out into a plugin once we get a plugin system.)
A plugin system would be great for sab