Rar Sorting for playing while downloading

Want something added? Ask for it here.
evidenceunseen

Rar Sorting for playing while downloading

Post by evidenceunseen »

I was wondering if anyone would be willing or has looked into sorting the rar files in order before downloading to start playing something that's in the progress of downloading? Other projects such as NZB player and Altbinz(NZB Play) have implemented similar features but frankly I like sabnzbd+ better and would prefer using this client. Streaming while downloading could be done with Media players like VLC and Xbox Media Center
www.xbmc.org
thanks,
Last edited by evidenceunseen on February 11th, 2008, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
switch

Re: Rar Sorting for playing while downloading

Post by switch »

In 0.4.0 .rar files will be sorted to the top of the queue so streaming works.

Further work needs to be done to make it completely streamer friendly such as a-z sorting of .part00.rar files.
Also currently you need to have the Complete and incomplete paths point to the same folder to stop it moving the files mid-stream. Possibly another download options +Stream that will move files to the complete folder as they are downloaded.
evidenceunseen

Post by evidenceunseen »

Or unrar it to the completed folder once the download is done and leave the rars in place for a set amount of time.
nzb_leecher

Post by nzb_leecher »

Intresting but how would would vlc play / stream the files when an error appears in the rars? It seems to me that i must always get the files and repair them before playing can start?
evidenceunseen

Post by evidenceunseen »

repairing if at could possibly be done on a rar by rar file basis, as far as the way it's implemented in altbinz and such it probably doesn't get repaired only checks to make sure all is there before sorting i think.
switch

Post by switch »

Streaming from newsgroups is never going to be 100% working.
If your download speed is fast, the files will probably repair before you come to a corrupt piece. Also adding a fillserver (your ISP's newsgroup server for example) will cut down on needing to repair.
nzb_leecher

Post by nzb_leecher »

switch wrote: Streaming from newsgroups is never going to be 100% working.
If your download speed is fast, the files will probably repair before you come to a corrupt piece. Also adding a fillserver (your ISP's newsgroup server for example) will cut down on needing to repair.
ok but if you have a error in rar.r02 you can stop streaming?
switch

Post by switch »

Well, it depends on the software you are playing it with. It will either skip the part missing (usually small) or stop altogether.

If you are getting a lot of incomplete files then you may want to look into another newsgroup provider.

The are no plans for a full streaming solution at this time, but it could be looked at in the future.
evidenceunseen

Post by evidenceunseen »

I don't find I need to repair that often, so I think it's way more than worth it. If any testing is needed I'd be happy to help.
nzb_leecher

Post by nzb_leecher »

switch wrote: Well, it depends on the software you are playing it with. It will either skip the part missing (usually small) or stop altogether.

If you are getting a lot of incomplete files then you may want to look into another newsgroup provider.

The are no plans for a full streaming solution at this time, but it could be looked at in the future.
I have a good provider with 100 days retention so that would be good enough for most cases. Also i have a fillserver with the same quality, so most of the times it is good. But even then once in a while even i need the repair function. However the idea sounds intresting for 20mb users, didnt know it was technology possible.
evidenceunseen

Post by evidenceunseen »

Lookup NZB Player and altbinz both of those programs have that feature, although with altbinz you can't get a version with that feature in it without donating. As long as the bitrate is lower than the download speed then you shouldn't have any problems, infact you could probably stream using only 2 or 3 threads an interesting idea is to allow using 2 or 3 threads for steaming while downloading with the remaining threads.