download priority

Want something added? Ask for it here.
doubledrat
Release Testers
Release Testers

download priority

Post by doubledrat »

Hi

I would find it useful to be able to assign a priority to downloads (say 1-5) and then be able to order by priority.  This would have to be coupled with a user-definable default priority for new additions to the queue.

this would allow "nice to have" downloads take a back seat to new, more important downloads without having to constantly re-jig the queue

thanks
DeXeS
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: download priority

Post by DeXeS »

Wouldn't it be easyer to first add the nzb file you want to have first priority? and the nzb file you want to have second priority, add secondly?

Maybe it would be easy that you can select when it will be downloaded (how high in the queue it will be placed). But personaly I don't need such a function.
rascalli

Post by rascalli »

in the download queue you can already choose the priority.

Just change the priority number and you are all set
But this has to be done after the nzb is uploaded
doubledrat
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by doubledrat »

what you're referring to is the ORDER, not the priority ;)

call me lazy, but I'd like to be able to set a big download e.g. a boxset or something that I'm not in a hurry for to have a low priority.  then new entries would automatically jump the queue without me having to fire up an interface.  i.e. using the blackhole.
switch

Post by switch »

A three tier priority setting would probably work best:
Priority HIGH: Added to top of queue
Priority MED: Default, Added above low priority items, but under all the high items, basically how queue adding works now.
Priority LOW: Added to the bottom of the queue, with new medium and high items always being placed above.

This is something I would find useful, so I will personally look into adding it; however it might not be for a while.
doubledrat
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by doubledrat »

not wanting to argue with a person offering me what I asked for ;) but...

I reckon a change to priority should place the item below all items of the same priority.  we should still of course be able to change the absolute order.

so if you have

H 1
H 2
M 3
L 4
L 5

if you change 5 to be M priority, it would go to position 4. 

if you manually change the order of item 5 to be postition 3, the priority should also change.  as it's between a H and M, I would suggest it probably changes to the lowest priority of the 2 i.e. M.  If you were to put it to postion 2 it would become H priority as both above and below are both H

still think a priority of 1-5 would give more flexibility (and would be easier to code ;) )
deedwar

Post by deedwar »

I would like to bump this request.  I have a few items on my list i would like to download when there is nothing else downloading and when something is automatically added should jump straight to the top and the big items with low priority should have to wait.

Not sure how easy or hard it is to code but it would be a BIG help when having my HD Content downloading but not important and my smaller newer content download straight away.
Weavus
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by Weavus »

Yes I also really like the sound of this idea. Perhaps you could also add the possibility of assigning default priorities to individual categories?
switch

Post by switch »

I plan to look at download priority for the 0.5 release, along with other new queue features. Don't worry, it hasn't been forgotten.