Ask for download location when current location unavailable

Want something added? Ask for it here.
wingedturbo

Ask for download location when current location unavailable

Post by wingedturbo »

I searched up the issue and found this:  http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=2456.0

However, I think my problem or solution is a bit more simple.

I, like others, use an external drive as a download location. Sometimes I turn on SABnzbd without the drive connected. Instead of switching to the default download folder, have a warning come up saying "location not found... please choose a new one/ use default/ pause downloads".

I don't know how the program works but I'm assuming that there must be some sort of check to see that the location is present... or at the very least a failover mechanism that is allowing it to return to default. If not, wouldn't the downloads simply attempt to go to the set location and just fail instead of creating the default location and using that? If the failover does exist, then can we simply implement the warning I suggested with the 3 options?

I hope this helps.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ask for download location when current location unavailable

Post by shypike »

SABnzbd is aimed at working in the background, maybe even on a headless server.
That's the reason it has a web interface instead of a regular one.
That's also the reason it cannot go asking the user for information.

The only alternative is to pause everything and send out an email
(like we do for "disk almost ful").
wingedturbo

Post by wingedturbo »

The thing is, my problem doesn't occur at any old time while it's running. It happens when I shut it down, remove the drive, and turn it back on at a later time. When I do turn it on, I think it's a perfectly good time to ask me whether I want to set a new location, use the default, or pause.

In fact I do happen to run it headless on one of my computers and absolutely love the fact that I can. It just bugs me that when I run it on my laptop with an external drive and then ditch the drive and take my laptop somewhere,
it means I'm going need to re-enter the download folders when I reattach the drive.
malaky

Post by malaky »

Wouldn't it show in the warnings section when the download directory doesn't exist?
wingedturbo

Post by wingedturbo »

That's not the problem. The problem is if you ever start SABnzbd+ without your download drive connected, it will automatically download to the default folder. In my case that folder happens to exist on a laptop drive that has a couple gigabytes free.

A pause all downloads with option to email solution would be perfect for me. I just hate having to re-enter the proper download folders every time they get changed to the default one.

Thank you SABnzbd+ team for an excellent product.
blong579

Post by blong579 »

i have the same problem. my biggest problem is if i shut down the program during a mid download and start it back up for any reason with out the  external hooked up it resets my folder and then want let me change back untill all my queue's are done. i think this is a great program but this is an area for improvement. i came to this board looking for a reason to solve this. i would like to see the program pause and then give a warning as to why it paused so i can connect my external back and finish download that 10gig file with out have to restart or be able to change folder settings with out first having to empty my queue list.  thanks to all involved for the great program
jamesdew

Post by jamesdew »

Perhaps this could be compromised by a "if cannot download here download here instead"