Implement Nzbmatrix category support like Newzbin?

Want something added? Ask for it here.
sicks666

Re: Implement Nzbmatrix category support like Newzbin?

Post by sicks666 »

shypike wrote: Nzbmatrix doesn't have a bookmark API.
All it has is a special feed. So we will not "connect" getbookmarks-now to nzbmatrix.
We're also not pre-configuring their special RSS feed.
We might do more when they implement a proper API.

I'm always wondering why people want "now" buttons on a program
that really should be doing it's work in the background.
The less you see SABnzbd, the better we did our job ;)
People like me want a "now" button because sometimes I want to download a specific item, well, now.  Not only that but with the way things are now with bookmarks and nzbmatrix, I would like to set my categories, so if i let the nzbmatrix rss feed download whenever the timer is ready, then I may not have time to specify categories.  I know there is a watch dir for nzb files which is a bit more inline with downloading right away but that is a bit cumbersome for me.  It is way easier for me to just click a bookmark while searching and then clicking dl now in sab.  Now this is not a direct reflection of how well you guys did your job, but now you can see the reasons behind the request.

With that being said, i am perfectly fine with going to the rss section and clicking it there.  However, having a shortcut list to our each rss feed on the home page would be a nice feature, maybe with a download now button next to each one.
zi99y

Post by zi99y »

Yes, exactly what sick 666 said! it baffles me that you don't see the value of a "get now" facility.

The most frequent time you can choose is 15 minutes - and nzbmatrix state we will be banned if we hammer their feeds - so using their web page to bookmark stuff and then getting sabnzbd to fetch them is the most efficient way todo it, not waiting for the next 15 minutes.

Look forward to the next version
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

zi99y wrote: The most frequent time you can choose is 15 minutes - and nzbmatrix state we will be banned if we hammer their feeds - so using their web page to bookmark stuff and then getting sabnzbd to fetch them is the most efficient way todo it, not waiting for the next 15 minutes.
They don't want you to hammer their site, they state that they'll ban you, and yet you still want a readily accessible "get now" button. What do you think that will result in? If we make it easier for people to manually request a feed download, they're going to end up hitting a feed more than once every 15 minutes.

This is the same reason there's a hard limit of 15 minutes in the RSS module.
zi99y

Post by zi99y »

Yes I understand all that already!

Maybe my point is being missed, here is an example:

I hear of a piece of music I want, so I go to nzbmatrix.com. I find the nzb and click "add to bookmarks". Now, I can either wait until the rss feed automatically fetches this bookmark via the rss feed (up to 15 minutes later), or I can connect to sabnzbd+ and force it to check the rss feed. Currently I have to go into Config > RSS and click "force download". If I fail to do this then I will be waiting a long time for something which actually takes a very small time to download - and I am keen to listen to it!

This is how I currently use newzbin which is perfect for my needs.

I realise you can use the firefox plugin to queue nzbs instantly, but I am against this as I browse the site a lot on a mobile browser. But mainly I (we?) are hoping for categories to be extracted from the xml as was mentioned a few threads ago, it is due in 0.6.0

If someone gets banned for repeatedly clicking 'get rss feeds' then they are a plonker!  ;D
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Why not let the SABnzbd installer associate NZB's with SABnzbd?
Then "executing" an NZB will send it to the SABnzbd queue.
zi99y

Post by zi99y »

Because I use a mobile device to browse the indexing sites and leave sabnzbd+ running on my machine at home. Also I use various different computers, so using the site and bookmarking is the simplest thing to do.
Last edited by zi99y on April 12th, 2010, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sicks666

Post by sicks666 »

inpheaux wrote:
zi99y wrote: The most frequent time you can choose is 15 minutes - and nzbmatrix state we will be banned if we hammer their feeds - so using their web page to bookmark stuff and then getting sabnzbd to fetch them is the most efficient way todo it, not waiting for the next 15 minutes.
They don't want you to hammer their site, they state that they'll ban you, and yet you still want a readily accessible "get now" button. What do you think that will result in? If we make it easier for people to manually request a feed download, they're going to end up hitting a feed more than once every 15 minutes.

This is the same reason there's a hard limit of 15 minutes in the RSS module.
When i use the get now button there is no reason for me to hit the rss feed every 15mins.  In fact i could set it to every couple of hours or once a day.  And like zi99y said if some one gets banned for repeatedly hitting a 'get rss feeds' they are a plonker, whatever that is.

Thank you for the alternative suggestions,  but associating nzb's with sab is a decent idea for situation where you search for nzb's on the pc with sab on it.  This is not my situation.
markus101
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by markus101 »

There are plugins for both FF and Chrome (point them to your "server" running SAB), I know for a fact that the FF plugin works as I have been using it for awhile, a quick test shows the Chrome one works as expected and sends the NZB to SABnzbd. I know FF and Chrome aren't the only browsers available, but assuming you are using one, grab the plugin for it. If you're on a mobile browser why would you even need to use a "Get Now" button? You're mobile anyways, so urgently getting the download seems useless.

I'd love it if SABnzbd and NZBMatrix could communicate the proper category of a NZB, maybe it will be a reality some day. I know that NZBMatrix has the notion of a category, but it appears that there is no way to get the category of that NZBID without screen scraping the NZB Details page - is that assumption correct?

-Markus
Last edited by markus101 on April 13th, 2010, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Co-developer of NzbDrone (.Net NNTP PVR) - http://www.nzbdrone.com
kakalaky

Post by kakalaky »

inpheaux wrote: This depends on them exposing categories like Newzbin does. In the meantime, third-party developers like Duz are working on options to do this via scraping. Category-detection support will be in an upcoming build of nzbdstatus.
NZBMatrix added link, category, language, image and region to the API.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

We'll check it out.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

NzbMatrix categories as appearing in RSS feeds will be supported in release 0.6.0.
This release will get its first Alpha release after we do 0.5.2Final (1-2 weeks).
markus101
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by markus101 »

To clarify will this only be for RSS feeds? or will we be able to send NZBMatrix NZB's to SAB similar to the way we can with Newzbin? I imagine that would require two different calls, one to get the Category and another to get the actual NZB.

Thanks for the hard work guys, SABnzbd is just awesome.

-Markus
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

The way nzbmatrix has categories in RSS is OK.
I'm less happy about their decision to have a separate API call for the attributes.
This means more code for us to write, more chance of failed communication
and more load on their servers.
I would have preferred that they implemented attributes the way newzbin did,
just sending a bunch of extra http headers along with the NZB.

Not sure when I can overcome my reluctance about this,
there's more interesting things to implement :)
markus101
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by markus101 »

Not sure if on of the Dev's requested this on the NZBMatrix forums, but FLASH @ NZBMatrix says that the headers should have the NZB Category now:
http://nzbmatrix.com/forums.php?action= ... 796&page=1

Again, great work on SAB, looking forward to 0.6.

-Markus
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

That was me alright.
Thanks, I checked a few times, but not in the last couple of days.