Multi-User Functionality

Want something added? Ask for it here.
z3r0

Multi-User Functionality

Post by z3r0 »

I believe sabnzbd could benefit greatly from a multi-user login system as well as user privelages.

If nothing else, having an 'admin' login that can change configurations, and a 'user' login that can only download stuff would be useful to many people. Since sabnzbd is inherently web based, that makes it prime for usage in multi-user environments, but it is difficult to do without worrying about users getting into the config error and botching things up for everyone else. Also, sharing passwords with 5+ people is less than ideal.

Also, I'm sure this has already been requested but it would be nice if the passwords weren't sent in plaintext. I am just stating this because I think I remember that it is in the works already.
Camelot

Re: Multi-User Functionality

Post by Camelot »

well, v0.5.0 has the ability to serve up the web interface using https, so that should allow you to avoid the "password in plaintext" issue.
z3r0

Post by z3r0 »

Camelot wrote: well, v0.5.0 has the ability to serve up the web interface using https, so that should allow you to avoid the "password in plaintext" issue.
I thought read in the documentation on 0.5 that, although it uses SSL, the password is sent in plaintext beforehand.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

z3r0 wrote: I thought read in the documentation on 0.5 that, although it uses SSL, the password is sent in plaintext beforehand.
No, it's HTTPS, it should all be over ssl.

We've been avoiding setting up multiple user accounts because it's a complex feature. Sure, it's easy to say "oh you just have like, admin accounts and user accounts, and different user levels can do different stuff!" but when it comes time to implement that, at the very least we have to go through and put both a "are there user accounts?" check and a "does this user have rights to do this action?" check on every single feature that should be permissionable. And then there's the API, where we don't even check to see if you sent a login/pass whatsoever anymore.

It's a complex problem, but it's one that's been requested often (so we need to address it soon) . . but we haven't really come up with a "good" solution yet.

In the meantime, you can lock down SABnzbd with the config_lock parameter. Set that to 1 and the config won't be editable, so you can safely pass out your credentials and only people with direct access to your sabnzbd.ini will be able to change stuff. Combine it with all the various methods of remotely sending nzbs to SABnzbd and your users won't even have to connect to the web ui.
crazyleg

Post by crazyleg »

Is there any plane to do this?? only having multi user whit same access shuld work fine for me =)
cyp2k

Post by cyp2k »

I'd like to follow up with this, since I'm looking to make sabnzbd multi user capable for some time now.

At the moment I am sharing one Usenet account to several users, using FTP to drop the NZBs in the monitored folder and download the completed stuff from the completed folder as well. Since it's pretty annoying that each user is seeing all completed downloads from others (there are a lot on heavy days ;) ), I thought about having this issue solved by multiple monitored NZBs folders and multiple completed folders.

Example:

user 1 has the monitored NZB folder NZB1 and the completed folder COMPLETED1. Each completed download of the NZBs dropped in folder NZB1 will be saved in the COMPLETED1 folder.

user 2 has the monitored NZB folder NZB2 and the completed folder COMPLETED2. Each completed download of the NZBs dropped in folder NZB2 will be saved in the COMPLETED2 folder.

and so on...

This shouldn't be that hard to be implemented, since the access rights or permissions of each user will be handled by the ftp server.

What do you think about this idea?

Regards,
cyp2k
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

cyp2k wrote: This shouldn't be that hard to be implemented, since the access rights or permissions of each user will be handled by the ftp server.
I'm looking forward to your patch submission.

The alternative is to use multiple SABnzbd instances.
If you use a provider like Giganews, you get plenty of "threads"
that you can distribute over the instances.
Even with just 8 threads per instance you're close to max speed with them (when just one instance is active).
Last edited by shypike on April 16th, 2011, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyp2k

Post by cyp2k »

Hi shypike,

thanks for your reply.

Although beeing somehow worried of heavy cpu and/or ram load when running sabnzbd in multiple instances, I'd like to give it a try.

Do you know if there's a howto on running sabnzbd in multiple instances on a Windows based system? I've asked google already but couldn't get a proper answer. Thought about extending the sabnzbd.ini by copy&pasting the current entries and make the adjustments to each folder paths and listen port settings, but I'm not sure if that will make it.

Thanks and regards,
cyp2k
cyp2k

Post by cyp2k »

Got it, thanks ;)