AppleTV Support.

Want something added? Ask for it here.
Samushka
Release Testers
Release Testers

AppleTV Support.

Post by Samushka »

Have an AppleTV on order, and reading some of the hacking guides, particularly the one on installing APACHE on it, it came to me, that it might be possible to install SABnzbd+ on it.

Questions:

1) If i use RAF's builds, for example, is there any way to run a daemon from a command prompt? In Mac OS X, i usually execute it, by running a .app file.

2) Seeing that the AppleTV is pretty weak processor-wise, and wanting to avoid stuttering while watching files, is there any way to use the PAR and UNRAR functions using XGRID with other macs on my network?

PS: If anyone wants to get together and form group for this sorta thing, I'm willing to use my AppleTV as a testing platform, and I also have experience in graphic design and studying web & database programming (just started).

samushka (at) gmail (dot com)

Thx, and keep up the good work !
Samushka
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: AppleTV Support.

Post by Samushka »

Just to update my previous post...

After reading:

http://edbaskerville.com/software/xgridlite/

(which shows that you can enable the Xgrid distributed computing solution on the standard version of Mac OS X Tiger, which AppleTV uses)

and maybe there's a way to create scripts to send the jobs via command line, to xgrid.

if anyone is more technically savvy about xgrid, and such, i would love to hear your oppinion.

thx !
Samushka
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by Samushka »

One can configure SABnzbd+ remotely via web browser, or w/ couch surfer, so basically all that's needed is to get the daemon running.

In terms of lagging, thats why i wanted to use xGrid in conjunction w/ a post-processing script to PAR (repair) and UNRAR (extract) the files using other computers on the network.

Think it's doable somewhat?

I'll hop onto the IRC channel once i finish my exams next wednesday, should be around the time i recieve my AppleTV by mail.
Samushka
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by Samushka »

I just want the daemon running on the AppleTV.

I'll have the AppleTV connected to my 1tb Time Capsule, via ethernet, and the Time Capsule drive will be my "downloads" folder.

All I want the AppleTV to do, is basically run the SABnzbd+ server/daemon and send all post-processing commands, to Xgrid, for other macs on my network to repair/extract them, if any Xgrid nodes are available.
manolodf

Post by manolodf »

This got me thinking, Do you think it is possible to run something like this fully within a PS3?
switch

Post by switch »

If it can run python, SABnzbd+ should work.*
Do you mean a PS3 running linux or just the normal PS3 interface?

*The system needs a minimum of around 32MB of ram, 128MB recommended.
manolodf

Post by manolodf »

I meant a PS3 as it stands, how it runs the Fold@home software, see if there was a way to get it to run somehow, or if it needs to be tweaked so it runs linux etc, im pretty sure it meets the qualifications that Cell processor is pretty powerful.