Retry failed files

Want something added? Ask for it here.
semel

Retry failed files

Post by semel »

hey there.  i thought that the new version would have it but i cant find where to set it.

Is there any option(maybe a hidden one, within INI) that allows you to set time interval for failed articles to be re-added to download list every x(from 1  to xxxxx) minute?
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Retry failed files

Post by inpheaux »

Not a bug. Moving to Feature Requests.
semel

Post by semel »

What would be the use?
Im really surprised that you ask me this question.

90% of uploaders use astraweb for uploading stuff. Efnet groups for certain. And astraweb is well known for not fast processing of uploading content especially during peak usage hours.(sometimes they even get totally  screwed up but we are not talking about this worst case scenario)

Meaning, i get nzb from IRC , start downloading it and get quite a few articles not found errors. Within several minutes these articles usually are available on  the server. I use usenet explorer and it has this feature. it comes handy when you need to grab something fast which without worrying  about slowed processing of uploads which is 90% of time for me.

And i dont have to manually watch over the process of downloading and repair stuff.
So it would be nice to have this small but important  addition in Sab. if not within interface setting then maybe via INI for advanced users.

cheers
Last edited by semel on February 22nd, 2011, 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

I understand the question and it makes sense.
It's only very difficult to do in the current implementation.
We're an open source project with limited means
and we have to be very selective about what we implement.
A very labor-intensive feature for a small section of the users is not our first choice.
semel

Post by semel »

a small section of the users is not our first choice.
i see. Though i dont see it as a "small section of the users" issue.

Its about making sab all-rounded nzb downloader that can deal with  the most nasty situations that might happen out there when dealing with nzb files.
Nothing extraordinary.

Retrying failed articles at the end of downloading process before trying to  get par2\repairing sounds reasonable enough.

But its your call, of course
Last edited by semel on February 22nd, 2011, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

SABnzbd is aimed at automation.
Two conditions are 1) reliable NZB files 2) reasonably reliable Usenet providers
The design is suited for this automation idea.
Adding post-processing retries was already a challenge.
You're idea has value and would potentially increase the reliability.
It's mainly a question of judging whether as a feature it's more important/useful than others.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

semel wrote: hey there.  i thought that the new version would have it but i cant find where to set it.

Is there any option(maybe a hidden one, within INI) that allows you to set time interval for failed articles to be re-added to download list every x(from 1  to xxxxx) minute?
@semel:

SAB's API offers access to the 'retry'-function. See http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/api#toc43

So, if you need this automatic-retry-function, I guess you could program it in a separate script.
Please don't send me unrequested PM's; the forum is the best way to communicate.
If someone helps you, please reply to that help.
f you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Sander, that won't work.
Semel asked for a retry at the article level.
A retry from history will not complete files with holes in them (due to missing articles).
It will get extra par2 files, if you add an NZB that has extra par2 files.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

shypike wrote: Sander, that won't work.
Semel asked for a retry at the article level.
A retry from history will not complete files with holes in them (due to missing articles).
It will get extra par2 files, if you add an NZB that has extra par2 files.
Aha. What else does "retry" do? Reason: It also works for me if the complete-directory is unwritable (because disk not mounted): after mounting the disk and then pressing Retry, SAB will fulfill it's job. So I guess Retry does more than retrying par2-files?
Please don't send me unrequested PM's; the forum is the best way to communicate.
f you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

A Retry will load the NZB again and check which files are already in.
Often the job will go directly to post processing, because all files are already in.
That's usefule when your "final" disk was full or your external disk wasn't mounted.

You can also add a new NZB file, which contains more data files or par2 files
or just extra par2 files. In that case some extra files will be downloaded
before post-processing begins again.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

shypike wrote: A Retry will load the NZB again and check which files are already in.
Often the job will go directly to post processing, because all files are already in.
As I understand your answer, this is the solution for the OP: he already has the 'complete' .NZB, based on which he starts to download, but the post (as published in the NZB) is not completety available on his newsserver. So, afterwards, he presses Retry ... based on your description, I would expect that SAB would then try to download the files that were missing on the first run. And so this would be the (manual) solution.

Am I right about this, or am I still not understanding the point?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

You don't quite understand yet :)
What SABnzbd does now in a retry, is to skip any file that's already downloaded, even when it misses articles.
What the OP asked for is to patch the holes in the files.
sherlock99

Post by sherlock99 »

shypike wrote: You can also add a new NZB file, which contains more data files or par2 files
or just extra par2 files. In that case some extra files will be downloaded
before post-processing begins again.
Hi shypike,

sorry if this is a newbie question, but I have a failed download on a 21Gb NZB. The description says Repair Failed, not enough repair blocks (581 short). 1344 articles were missing. There is a retry option. Should I: 

A) Simply retry the current NZB
B) add an older aged post of the same NZB name in the supplimental field from the same search site
C) add a same-age NZB of the same NZB name in the supplimental field from a different search site

There is also an option D). I have found an older aged post which is 7.5Gb in size which refers to itself as "patched" which is related to my original 20Gb download by virtue of the posters name (I'm been careful not to mention the name of the download for obvious reasons!). Could this be tried?.

I'm obviously keen not to lose the 20Gb I have already downloaded and just want to give it the best chance of been repaired. It is just a case of trying all of the above in no particular order?. Could you provide a newbie's explanation as to what exactly the "Optional Supplimental NZB" does.

Many thanks,

Sherlock99.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

The extra NZB is either an NZB with just more RAR and PAR2 files in it
or with only extra PAR2 files.

You'll need to assess what is missing first.
Are some files just completely missing?
Is each file a little bit too small?
Also look at the NZB file itself to see whether a continuous range of RAR segments exists.

Usually older NZB aren't interesting, but you can try.
The only risk is that you download 7.5G of useless files.
sherlock99

Post by sherlock99 »

Thanks for the quick reply shypike,

I'll carry out further investigation and I'll retry a few of the downloads I mentioned.

Regards,

sherlock99.