Pipe Req - Android/iPhone Downloader

Want something added? Ask for it here.
scotepi

Pipe Req - Android/iPhone Downloader

Post by scotepi »

I know this is most likely a pipe dream and will never happen but I would still like to make the request. I just think it would probably be a coding and api nightmare to set up.

I am out and about and my home computer with SABnzbd on it is downloading to its harts content on my messily 6mbps line. I come across a open WiFI, be it school, work whatever that is faster then my home connection. I would love to be able to open a app on my Android phone that will say to my home client, hey send me a nzb of stuff to download and your list of providers. The phone would then get like a 50mb nzb and then tell the home desktop to disconnect from a provider. Then my phone will connect to the provider and start downloading the small nzb, when it gets to the end it tells the server I have it, send me some more. This continues till you lose wifi or quit the app on your phone. If the server doesn't hear anything in say 2 minutes, downloading 50mb at 5mbps should take ~15-20sec real world, it will take it that the phone failed and just go back on its way. It will mark the segments that it sent off to the phone as paused for now.

Here comes the fun part. When you get home you turn wifi back on on your phone. It find the server on your lan this time and says here are the files that I got and starts transferring them to the desktop via whatever protocol is easiest. The server looks at the log from the phone and its own log and finds what is missing between the 2 and tries to re-downloads whatever articles are still missing.

Now imagine that you have 2 providers set up. Your phone downloads from 1 while you are out and about and your desktop downloads from the other.

My 6mbps desktop and 5mbps phone is kind of a joke, unless you have 2 providers, a better example would be 6mbps at home and 20mbps at work, school or a restaurant.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Pipe Req - Android/iPhone Downloader

Post by inpheaux »

Bandwidth isn't your concern, your concern would be being able to download something at a reasonable speed to a phone without killing the battery in minutes. Mobile usenet just isn't feasible right now.
scotepi

Re: Pipe Req - Android/iPhone Downloader

Post by scotepi »

Its not really that hard to plug in charge. And i'm talking wifi only tho sometimes 3g is faster the internet at some places I go.