WIP - Prototype

Got a neat new template? Share it here!
switch

WIP - Prototype

Post by switch »

Here is a new theme I have been working on over the past few months codenamed Prototype and I would like any opinions on it good or bad. It has been created in javascript to look like a real application using the Ext-Js framework.

It showcases some new features destined for future versions of sabnzbd such as
-High/Normal/Low priority system
-Pausing of individual downloads
-Actions on multiple queue items

It is also a perfect candidate for stand-alone browser applications such as mozilla prism or Adobe Air

It still has some way to go, currently the main features missing are:
-Settings
-Menu for adding of nzb's
-Extra polish

I have got a demo of it currently running at http://sabnzbd.org/switch/prototype/main.html although please note any actions such as deleting/re-ordering won't work as it is not running off a sabnzbd install.

For any people who want to check out the real thing, there is no windows build available, but the python version is available in the branch sabnzbd-prototype
http://svn2.assembla.com/svn/SABnzbd/br ... prototype/

The build is highly experimental, so if you have any problems please report them in this thread.

If you have any opinions on the current look, layout, or general operation of the skin, please speak out now. Thanks.
Last edited by switch on July 22nd, 2008, 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
nzb_leecher

Re: WIP - Prototype

Post by nzb_leecher »

Just a question, will this also be the end of smpl?
neilt0

Post by neilt0 »

Looks great!
Juo

Post by Juo »

This looks really promising, I love the new theme.  ;D
fusen

Post by fusen »

this looks sweet, looking forward to see first proper release!
huleboeren
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by huleboeren »

Does the uTorrent webui use "Ext-Js framework." too?
switch

Post by switch »

nzb_leecher wrote: Just a question, will this also be the end of smpl?
Unlikely, smpl will get less new modifications but it will still be kept up to date with other changes in sabnzbd.
huleboeren wrote: Does the uTorrent webui use "Ext-Js framework." too?
No, I believe they use custom coded javascript.

Using Ext-Js allows access to a wide variety of user made themes, see this image for some I tested out in an older development version:
pair of dimes wrote: Can't wait to use this. You should provide a tutorial for new users, as the amount of data shown there is overwhelming. (maybe start with history & bottom section minimized?)
Good idea, I'll make a few UI images detailing some of the layout features.
auskento

Post by auskento »

As pretty as plush is, i prefer functional and simple or smpl :P  This looks like a simple looking UI with a lot of functionality.
I think I'm gonna like it :)

Great work
nzb_leecher

Post by nzb_leecher »

switch wrote:
nzb_leecher wrote: Just a question, will this also be the end of smpl?
Unlikely, smpl will get less new modifications but it will still be kept up to date with other changes in sabnzbd.
Great i already liked smpl, all one would need in eyesight and also not a different colorscheme for each menu, see plush and his settings menu for example.

But i will give it a look and thought, it will be just my opinion of course, you an wipe your ass of with it if you like. :-)
I will do the same with your opinion if i don't like it :-)

1. btw what i noticed there was the history tab under and a history on the right, twice the same info seem a bit dumb :-)

2. Also the biggest strength i always found the standard speedbar, hidding it under a special tab and wasting another choice seems like a step backward to me.

3. Also for the missing "time left" i prefer them above "category" or "script"

4. how about using the possibility for two interfaces switching. Sab supports it, but no interface supports it. I mean the second interface which can be used via a seperate hyperlink. Make a button in smpl and wip to switch between, maybe plush will do that too. And then you can easy choose between the best of both worlds. Without bookmarking, hell maybe you all can make some standard name giving URL for each interface and make them work via a list box (real time). Now in practice you choose a interface, stick to it and never look at the rest. even if the rest want help, you can at least make a switch button for your 2 interfaces.
Last edited by nzb_leecher on June 2nd, 2008, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
switch

Post by switch »

nzb_leecher wrote: 1. btw what i noticed there was the history tab under and a history on the right, twice the same info seem a bit dumb :-)
Maybe so, I only added it as a test really. The side history bar can be permanently hidden, which may be useful for people with limited width resolutions so they can access the history from the lower bar. It may be possible to it optional in the settings.
nzb_leecher wrote: 2. Also the biggest strength i always found the standard speedbar, hidding it under a special tab and wasting another choice seems like a step backward to me.
Well they can just keep the graph tab open if they wish, there is no need for them to keep it on the other tabs all the time. The default opened tab may also be and option that can be set as well.
nzb_leecher wrote: 3. Also for the missing "time left" i prefer them above "category" or "script"
Can you explain what you mean by "missing 'time left'"?
nzb_leecher wrote: 4. how about using the possibility for two interfaces switching. Sab supports it, but no interface supports it. I mean the second interface which can be used via a seperate hyperlink. Make a button in smpl and wip to switch between, maybe plush will do that too. And then you can easy choose between the best of both worlds. Without bookmarking, hell maybe you all can make some standard name giving URL for each interface and make them work via a list box (real time). Now in practice you choose a interface, stick to it and never look at the rest. even if the rest want help, you can at least make a switch button for your 2 interfaces.
Changing an interface without restarting is only a new feature I have added (for 0.5). Currently the restart is needed because the dir for the web interface is set at startup, and cannot be changed during runtime. Doing it via specifying in the url (http://localhost:8080/sabnzbd/?skin=smpl) is possible, just a bit of work as it needs a lot of modifications. I'll look into backporting some of the code, maybe even creating a "Skins" config page to remove some options from config>general where these settings aren't really needed.
nzb_leecher

Post by nzb_leecher »

Hi short reply this time i have to go to work in a few minutes.

2. if graph is open tab i loose history or other "tabs", dont want to continuously switch between tabs graph and history for example.

3. time to left before everything is downloaded per item of course just like in smpl.

4. ok alternatively if your ideas would be impossibly, one could use the settings from sab if one entered a prim and sec interface already. 
Flash_Git

Post by Flash_Git »

I like the look of it, much prefer haivng everything on one page.
One request would be to adding NZB's by ID/URl/Uploading on the main page, or at least in as few clicks as possible; so perhaps an "Add NZB" button which brings up a dialog for all three.
nzb_leecher

Post by nzb_leecher »

Flash_Git wrote: I like the look of it, much prefer having everything on one page.
Exactly my opinion.
auskento

Post by auskento »

I just set up the trunk version to have a look at this interface.

It is awesome.

I look forward to seeing more of this interface in the future.
jp22382
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jp22382 »

nzb_leecher wrote:
Flash_Git wrote: I like the look of it, much prefer having everything on one page.
Exactly my opinion.
ditto. Reminds me of the utorrent interface, but better :)

I actually prefer this over plush.

If you could make the bottom pane slide out of view like the right hand pane does, that would be nice.