Newznab Installation Tutorial for Mac OSX

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
hellbent

Re: Newznab Installation Tutorial for Mac OSX

Post by hellbent »

huzzah, that screen line is just what i needed. then using this automator guide i was able to make an app and have that run at startup, though i had to slightly modify the newznab_local.sh to wait a period of time because php isn't up yet when this starts. I just copied the wait period from the end of the script to just before the loop and all is well!
rvank

Post by rvank »

Hi,

I'm want to setup my own newznab server and i'm glad i found your tutorial for setting it up on the mac.
I was only wondering on what type of mac your are running it. I have seen some second hand mac mini's in my area and i'm wondering what kind i need.
I'm looking to index only for movies, tv shows and mac software, so i hope i can get away with a mac mini from 2009/2010 as those are priced reasonabaly.

Looking forward to you anwser.

Kind regards,
Rob
Oslo, Norway
jamesjfa

Post by jamesjfa »

rvank wrote:Hi,

I'm want to setup my own newznab server and i'm glad i found your tutorial for setting it up on the mac.
I was only wondering on what type of mac your are running it. I have seen some second hand mac mini's in my area and i'm wondering what kind i need.
I'm looking to index only for movies, tv shows and mac software, so i hope i can get away with a mac mini from 2009/2010 as those are priced reasonabaly.

Kind regards,
Rob
Oslo, Norway
I run my setup on a 2009 standard Mac Mini along with Sabnzbd, CouchPotato, Sickbeard, Plex Media Server and Plex Client. I index around 13 groups and it works ok. Not the fastest machine but it works. Thinking of upgrading to a new Mac Mini with at the least, 8GB memory to run the same apps (or may switch to XBMC). The old one would then become a Plex or XBMC client.

Cheers,
James
rvank

Post by rvank »

jamesjfa wrote:
rvank wrote:Hi,

Kind regards,
Rob
Oslo, Norway
I run my setup on a 2009 standard Mac Mini along with Sabnzbd, CouchPotato, Sickbeard, Plex Media Server and Plex Client. I index around 13 groups and it works ok. Not the fastest machine but it works. Thinking of upgrading to a new Mac Mini with at the least, 8GB memory to run the same apps (or may switch to XBMC). The old one would then become a Plex or XBMC client.

Cheers,
James
Hi James,

I got everythin working on my machine, but got only one problem left.
I can't start my apache because web sharing is running, i have not been able to find a way to prevent web sharing from starting after a reboot, have you maybe any solution?

kind regards,
Rob.
bobtail

Post by bobtail »

Nice tutorial. I've managed to install and 'update_binaries.php' and 'update_releases.php' is working fine in a Terminal. However when ever I try to run the 'update_screen.sh' file that automates the 'update_binaries.php' and 'update_releases.php' files, I get out an out of memory issue.

I've modified the memory resource in PHP.ini from 256M to 1024M, I also tried -1 which gives maximum mem allocation, but still no joy. It seems as if any changes I make to the PHP.ini file do not change anything.

I can't find another PHP.ini file anywhere on my MAC Mini installation [followed this guide] so I was wondering if anyone has had this issue, or has found that they DO HAVE 2 x PHP.ini files when installing using this guide. If they do where is the second one kept?

***TEMP FIX ****
I've reduced my header grab from 100,000 to 20,000, this has helped by allowing the script to now run for a about 4 hours. I still get a memory error after this time as the memory allocation is still the same.
RahX

Post by RahX »

Very nice tutorial, this has got me into starting my own as well. However, I am stuck already on step 3 already. I am trying to do a new repository bookmark and trying to put in the SVN as well as username/password. I have no idea where i would find that from the email from the Newznab+. All i got was the Keycode. Any help would be appreciated.
bobtail

Post by bobtail »

RahX wrote:Very nice tutorial, this has got me into starting my own as well. However, I am stuck already on step 3 already. I am trying to do a new repository bookmark and trying to put in the SVN as well as username/password. I have no idea where i would find that from the email from the Newznab+. All i got was the Keycode. Any help would be appreciated.
Once I paid for the full version of Newznab I received an email and in it it had the SVN, username and password in it.
Did you pay for the full version or just grab the free version?
RahX

Post by RahX »

bobtail wrote:
RahX wrote:Very nice tutorial, this has got me into starting my own as well. However, I am stuck already on step 3 already. I am trying to do a new repository bookmark and trying to put in the SVN as well as username/password. I have no idea where i would find that from the email from the Newznab+. All i got was the Keycode. Any help would be appreciated.
Once I paid for the full version of Newznab I received an email and in it it had the SVN, username and password in it.
Did you pay for the full version or just grab the free version?
Went through their support, got it to work now, backfilling now
RahX

Post by RahX »

Now that it's up and running, I am having trouble changing the back fill dates, I've changed it in the section pointed out by point 8. But when i check the group list, it still only shows 1 day for back fill. Anyone have any insight into this?
qlfwyyd

Post by qlfwyyd »

Thanks to de5 for the tutorial. Amazing work and I've got my server up and running. I've also downloaded the dump from the newznab IRC and imported at first 100 then a whole folder of TV nzbs. It took almost two days, I think, which is pretty full on. I'm wondering whether I need to stop the regular update binaries and update releases script while the import is running. Anyone have any insight into this? If I stop the regular updates then newer NZBs just don't show up and when the import finally finishes it takes a LONG time to run the regular update script because I'm updating for 15 groups. Thanks again everyone.
QueenB

Post by QueenB »

qlfwyyd wrote:............ I've also downloaded the dump from the newznab IRC and imported at first 100 then a whole folder of TV nzbs.
Thanks for the tip....
RahX

Post by RahX »

i am having a problem with this currently
Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Unable to save result set in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/nnplus/www/lib/framework/db.php on line 72
this is the warning i get, anyone encountered this before?

when i look through the db.php it is
$result = mysql_query($query, DB::$conn) or $this->showError();
RahX

Post by RahX »

seems like i need to run optimize_db, anyone know how to run it forcefully in osx?
bhs00

Post by bhs00 »

Has anyone been able to move newznab to an external hard drive successfully? I tried to move the entire XAMPP folder to my NAS. But when I opened the control file, it said that XAMPP must be installed under /applications on the Mac. Is there any way around this? I would like to keep newznab on my NAS to keep from filling up my Mac hdd. :-[
qlfwyyd

Post by qlfwyyd »

Did you try using an alias or a symbolic link?