Newznab Installation Tutorial for Mac OSX

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
pdxsam

Re: Newznab Installation Tutorial for Mac OSX

Post by pdxsam »

A symlink worked fine for me. I moved it to another drive and linked and it's all working perfectly.
Tinology

Post by Tinology »

Last couple of days my newznab server is updating groups but all the releases are empty nzb's with 0.00mb for size of the release, any ideas?
shaunvis

Post by shaunvis »

Any idea what torrents to search for for nab collections? I'm not finding them & guessing I'm using wrong search terms
RoddyJoff

Post by RoddyJoff »

Just found this article and had to register to say a big thanks to De5perate!

I'm going to attempt to install NEWZNAB on a Mac Mini.

Excellent!
bilgames

Post by bilgames »

This is simply amazing. Your figuring this out and sharing saved me vast amounts of time and headache, I am sure. I can't tell you how much I appreciate what you've done.

With regards to automating the script, why aren't you just using screen? It is already installed in OS X. (I can't talk like I always knew this. I found out tonight after reading and following your post and reading about how the guy did it on the tiag.me blog.)

Anyway, I just typed screen into terminal and there it was.

From there, I updated the newznab_screen.sh file using your version and then began running the file in screen. Apparently, screen allows you to close the session without changing the state so the script continues to run. When you access screen again, it should still be running until you tell it to stop.

One thing I am unsure of (yeah, one thing) is so total noob - I keep reading about how much space a large backlog will take and to backfill slowly. When I set up nnab+ last weekend, I started slow with comics, but that seemed to go down easily so I went from 100 days to 1000 to 3650. I don't think it missed a beat. Backfilled and processed them. Newznab indicates I have almost 40,000. I am not exactly sure where the sqlite.db is, to be honest. I have found several on my drive but nothing that I would consider huge. Not sure if the fuss is from people with less storage or if I am missing something completely obvious. I just know that Mylar has been giving me a ton of old issues I was missing and I have pretty much stopped using the torrent feature on CPS when looking for older releases.
appsfinder

Post by appsfinder »

De5perate wrote:I am thrilled that some of you are finding it useful - as mentioned before if you spot any mistakes or improvements then let me know I shall update.

As far as the automator is concerned I think it works, however until I have monitored it's progress over a couple of days I cannot be sure.

This is what I did (I think) -

Open Automator (located in Applications) and select Workflow as the new type of document, click Choose.
Then choose Run Shell Script from the huge list in the second column on the left, double click it.
In the Run Shell Script window that opens in Automator I deleted the word cat at the top (don't know what that does but it's gone). and then paste in the following:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# call this script from within screen to get binaries, processes releases and 
# every half day get tv/theatre info and optimise the database

set -e

export NEWZNAB_PATH="/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/nnplus/misc/update_scripts"
export NEWZNAB_SLEEP_TIME="600" # in seconds
export PHP_PATH="/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/bin"
LASTOPTIMIZE=`date +%s`

while :

do
CURRTIME=`date +%s`
cd ${NEWZNAB_PATH}
${PHP_PATH}/php-5.3.1 ${NEWZNAB_PATH}/update_binaries.php
${PHP_PATH}/php-5.3.1 ${NEWZNAB_PATH}/update_releases.php

DIFF=$(($CURRTIME-$LASTOPTIMIZE))
if [ "$DIFF" -gt 43200 ] || [ "$DIFF" -lt 1 ]
then
	LASTOPTIMIZE=`date +%s`
	${PHP_PATH}/php-5.3.1 ${NEWZNAB_PATH}/optimise_db.php
	${PHP_PATH}/php-5.3.1 ${NEWZNAB_PATH}/update_tvschedule.php
	${PHP_PATH}/php-5.3.1 ${NEWZNAB_PATH}/update_theaters.php
fi

echo "waiting ${NEWZNAB_SLEEP_TIME} seconds..."
sleep ${NEWZNAB_SLEEP_TIME}

done
This is just basically a copy of the newznab.sh file located in the folder /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/nnplus/misc/update_scripts/nix_scripts but I have edited the path to newznab scripts and added a PHP_PATH function to save me from typing it out a few times.

Then click file save... and select Application from the File Format drop down. Best to put it in the Applications folder then click save.

Then just run it from the applications folder. You should see a spinning cog at the top of the screen from where you can stop it if needed.

What I want though it to be able to see in a terminal type window what it is doing - at least to prove it works. I read somewhere that you need to rename the .app a .command but my Mac will not let me do that it just adds .command.app to the end of the file name.

It does seem to require a lot of processor power at certain times during the process, I don't know if that will ease after it has run for a while when it is finding and processing less headers.

Again - I hope this helps and I would like to hear feedback on any improvements.
Hi i need this automated script to work on my Mac ML server Please can you tell me what lines i need to adjust
healeydave

Post by healeydave »

Huh, forgot my credentials, so have had to create a new account....anyway....

I have newznab running on a OS X 10.9 Mavericks server and all I did was edit the above file "newznab_screen.sh" found in the "/update_scripts/nix_scripts" folder.
I changed the NEWZNAB_PATH to my installed location and removed all the version references from the front of "php", so using the able example, I would remove "-5.3.1".
This is because whatever version of php you have installed on OS X, it will be referenced simply as php so no version hard-coding should be necessary.

Oh, and for anyone else doing a newznab installation on OS X Server, as Server 3.x already comes with the main components installed, I didn't bother installing xampp, in fact I pretty much followed the regular newznab *nix instructions, eliminating any steps that are not necessary when using the server version of OS X.
remus

Post by remus »

In my php.ini file I had to update the include_path to search for the proper version of PEAR as well:

Code: Select all

include_path = ".:/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/lib/php/"