Headphones: Methods to Increase Speed

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
bzowk

Headphones: Methods to Increase Speed

Post by bzowk »

Hey Guys -

I've been using SABnzbd, Sonaar (Was named NZBDrone and before that used SickBeard), Headphones, and other similar apps for a while now. One thing which has always bothered me about Headphones is that it's incredibly slow - especially when scanning my library. When viewing logs and it's Python output, I know the bottleneck isn't bandwidth as when processing items the max upload is 17.0 kB/s and download only about 12.0kB/s - well below my max. The CPU however runs between 20% & 90% utilization for "python.exe" during this time, though.

For example, I have 252 artists / groups in my collection of FLAC files I've ripped from CDs I own. Performing a library re-scan after a recent rebuild took hours. Simply adding a new artist with all of their releases took about 20 minutes as I watched the script's output add each of the artist's albums about once every 1-5 seconds. All of this running on a system with the below specs:
- CPU: Intel i7 3770k (8 core)
- RAM: 16gb
- Windows 8.1 x64
- All Headphones files, database, and OS reside on SSD (Samsung 840 Pro)

So... is there any way to speed things up a bit? I researched a bit, but don't know much about Python specifically. For what it's doing, I don't see how it's using all that power for such small events as adding albums to an artist. Perhaps if it was possible to use a database other than the file it uses, it would help. To be honest, i don't know if it's using more than a single core even though Windows reports it as using up to 90% of the CPU.

Any suggestions? Thanks!