Newzbin Mobile, a third-party frontend for mobile devices.

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Newzbin Mobile, a third-party frontend for mobile devices.

Post by inpheaux »

bcrook wrote: Would https make this more secure? or just add unneeded cost and complication to your job.
HTTPS wouldn't help anything, I still have to ask you for your login details if it's going to work, still have to store it in plaintext somewhere (in a cookie), and still have to send it to newzbin in plaintext. I just baked my own login details into a local dev copy I have and it works fine, so it's just an issue of seeing how far I can lock down the cookie.

edit: Well, HTTPS would get around the fact that I'd be requesting plaintext cookie details. But I can't add any more ssl certs to this server.

edit2: I've thought about this more throughout the day, and there's just no way to adequately secure it. I'll talk to the newzbin devs over the weekend to see what it would take to get this official, and if that falls through I'll just release the source, so you run it at your own risk.
Last edited by inpheaux on July 31st, 2009, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrgreaper

Post by mrgreaper »

Click Here to tell me to get off my ass and fix the site ..... clicked and errr telling lol

from a fellow g1 user that not only hates how small the bookmark icon is but how sometimes you click it and nothing happens!
daniel_owen_uk
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by daniel_owen_uk »

Not massively important as the screen on my Omnia HD is pretty impressive, and it's not that bad browsing the regular Newzbin site, but in terms of bandwidth, would be nice to have a simpler version.

so +1
joshua.lyon

Post by joshua.lyon »

This is an interesting project concept and something I've been trying to figure out how to achieve for a while. I'd be interested in getting a copy of the code to run for my own use on my webserver / tinkering with.

Could this not be something that is integrated directly into the SABnzbd+ application? It could then be accessed from the outside world (with the appropriate setup) just like SABnzbd+ already can. It could also pull your credentials from the NewzBin configuration tab from within SABnzbd+ so it would be easy for end users to setup. Plus, you wouldn't have to worry about setting up an SSL cert, taking the load directly on your server, or the potential security concerns that some people might have.

I'd be interested in helping you port it over, so let me know.
jin410

Post by jin410 »

any update on this?

just saw this and i never got to try it out :(
dafb

Post by dafb »

Have anyone found another Android app that is usefull with Newzbin.com? This project seems dead?
FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE
Python 2.6.2
SABnzbd+ v. 0.4.12
pmow
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by pmow »

inpheaux wrote:
bcrook wrote: Would https make this more secure? or just add unneeded cost and complication to your job.
HTTPS wouldn't help anything, I still have to ask you for your login details if it's going to work, still have to store it in plaintext somewhere (in a cookie), and still have to send it to newzbin in plaintext. I just baked my own login details into a local dev copy I have and it works fine, so it's just an issue of seeing how far I can lock down the cookie.

edit: Well, HTTPS would get around the fact that I'd be requesting plaintext cookie details. But I can't add any more ssl certs to this server.

edit2: I've thought about this more throughout the day, and there's just no way to adequately secure it. I'll talk to the newzbin devs over the weekend to see what it would take to get this official, and if that falls through I'll just release the source, so you run it at your own risk.
Trust will always be an issue when centralizing authentication tokens.  Have you thought about simply redistributing your code as a script?  It's better than a dead project...assuming you've done work on the screen scraping.  Newzbin support for searching is pitiful.  You can get a report with the ID, but you can't search reports, only files.  Greeaaaaat.
Last edited by pmow on December 22nd, 2009, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdj

Post by mdj »

I notice the android app "newzbin search" has anybody used it yet?
pmow
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by pmow »

It's only $2, but the screenshots don't look like they give too much details about the search results.  Maybe I'll feel wealthy in a few days and confirm my suspicions...
mdj

Post by mdj »

ok, bought it and I am quite pleased.  Search results actully have more details then mentioned.. I hope they integrate with SABnzbd, that would be cool.  kinda of a neat feature that was not mentioned is barcode scanning I was able to scan a barcode and search for it..