Newzbin Mobile, a third-party frontend for mobile devices.

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Newzbin Mobile, a third-party frontend for mobile devices.

Post by inpheaux »

I got a G1 last week, and love it. Since I can't be arsed to make my SABnzbd installation open to the outside world, for mobile access I was looking into just using Newzbin's bookmark feature in tandem with SABnzbd's bookmark-reading. . . but the link for add-bookmark in newzbin search results is tiny and Newzbin in general just isn't fun to use on a phone.

So I made this thing.

It lets you search Newzbin, look through reports, view nfo's, and add them as bookmarks. For this to work you need to have a Newzbin account, log in to your Newzbin account on whatever device you plan on using this on, and have SABnzbd set to download bookmarks.

Apart from that it's pretty straightforward. Search for things -> Big green button adds them as bookmarks. I just wanted to strip the UI down to just the stuff I needed.

Features:
  • Produces links for reports, bookmark-this-report, and view-this-report's-nfo
  • Big friendly buttons for decreased fat-fingering
  • Shows post size
  • Attribute popup, where you can see where it was posted, what category it's in, etc
  • Works with both Newzbin and Newzxxx
  • If you get excited and accidentally click something, you can click it again to un-bookmark it
  • Works well on the iPhone, the G1 (and other Android devices), and Opera (So long as your screen is big enough)
All it requires is that you have a newzbin account and log in through your phone's browser, and that you set your sabnzbd installation to read your bookmarks. No port forwarding, no logging into my app so I store your password, nothing.

Thoughts?
Last edited by inpheaux on April 5th, 2009, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camelot

Re: "Not For Stealing", a Mobile Newzbin Frontend

Post by Camelot »

I like it, even on the iPhone. Definitly more useful then the newzbin site :)

Suggestion: How about the + turns to a minus when added as a bookmark, and then allowing the user to un-bookmark a report?
huleboeren
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by huleboeren »

Can we have a low-res version for non-android/iphone/hugescreenhugephones ? :)
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

Camelot wrote:Suggestion: How about the + turns to a minus when added as a bookmark, and then allowing the user to un-bookmark a report?
This should be doable. It won't remember between sessions, though, as I'm trying to stay away from having to handle login credentials.
huleboeren wrote:Can we have a low-res version for non-android/iphone/hugescreenhugephones ? :)
That's on-tap for after making it pretty and fixing it for the iphone. Not entirely sure how I'll do it, but I'll figure something out.
relman
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Newzbin Mobile, a third-party frontend for mobile devices.

Post by relman »

Ahh so this works by piggie backing on your cookie having already visited the main site and logged in.

So

1. log into www.newzbin.com
2. open up this site.

correct?
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

Yep. It's actually exploiting Cross-site Scripting for the powers of good.
interfacelift

Post by interfacelift »

Works very nicely on my iPhone. Thanks!
carphead

Post by carphead »

That's brilliant stuff there.  Thank you.
dcrutgers

Post by dcrutgers »

Great idea, liking this a lot. Got one question though, I noticed the file sizes max out at 2GB. Do you plan on making this support showing the real file size if over 2gb?

Thanks!
bnb
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by bnb »

This is great.  Much better than the myNZB I just bought for the iphone.  Yeah, it would be great if the 2GB could be increased.

Thanks for the great work!
Nefarious
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by Nefarious »

Very nice work.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

If there's a 2gb limit, then it's imposed by newzbin and I can't get around it without screen scraping. I've turned over the source to newzbin's developers and they've mentioned that they'll be making this into a full proper ui soon.
switch

Post by switch »

I think the issue they are talking about is just a display issue. It still fetches posts over 2GB in size. 2GB is simply shown as the size for any file over 2gigs.

E.g. (Size: 4,368.8MB) > 2GB
interfacelift

Post by interfacelift »

inpheaux wrote: If there's a 2gb limit, then it's imposed by newzbin and I can't get around it without screen scraping. I've turned over the source to newzbin's developers and they've mentioned that they'll be making this into a full proper ui soon.
By "full proper ui" do you mean an actual newzbin branded mobile website? Nice :-)
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

switch wrote:I think the issue they are talking about is just a display issue. It still fetches posts over 2GB in size. 2GB is simply shown as the size for any file over 2gigs.

E.g. (Size: 4,368.8MB) > 2GB
Ok, I see what they're talking about. It's a display bug on my end. I'll mess with it soon as I'm not pulling 12 hr shifts at work.
interfacelift wrote:By "full proper ui" do you mean an actual newzbin branded mobile website? Nice :-)
Yeah, haven't heard anything since the initial talks, but it's a very real possibility.