Media Rover

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
kierse

Re: Media Rover

Post by kierse »

daniel_owen_uk wrote: How is work coming along on the GUI?  Have a few people I would like to show this too, but too many of them would avoid it because of the setup.
The UI is coming along, albeit very slowly.  I haven't had much spare time the last couple of months to work on it as I've been completely swamped with work and family commitments.  I'm hoping some of that is behind me now and I expect to have some free time in the next few days to dig back in.
wally007 wrote: I've been looking over this thread for month or two now anxiously waiting for GUI. I dont think its very high on to do list as i didnt find it on the "future" pages today. ( it used to be there , i think )
Have no fear, the UI is at the top of my list
Kierse
Lockzi

Post by Lockzi »

Hello again,

glad to see that this project hasn't gotten dead!

I've been using Media Rover now for the last month or so. Previously I used MyTvNZB RSS feeds to get my series.
Unfortunately I've been forced to go back since in the last week or so, it has constantly started to add the same episode like 7-10 times duplicates.

The upside is that I sure will return to this project when a new release is out to test it's reliability for what it's worth.

I believe the best combination to retrieve new shows is to use the MyTvNZB RSS feed with all series checked, and input that into media rover. But that leaves us with basically the same as just using the RSS, with the media sorter post-process.

Really glad I stumbled upon Media Rover and I really appriciate Kierse's work!!!
Keep it up.
rollingeyeball
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by rollingeyeball »

But that leaves us with basically the same as just using the RSS, with the media sorter post-process.
Only downloading episodes you don't have is quite different from standard RSS functionality of 'get it if it's new' :P

Lockzi, which version were you using when you got the duplicates?
I'm not actually sure how to check, but when did you last upgrade?
Lockzi

Post by Lockzi »

rollingeyeball wrote:
But that leaves us with basically the same as just using the RSS, with the media sorter post-process.
Only downloading episodes you don't have is quite different from standard RSS functionality of 'get it if it's new' :P

Lockzi, which version were you using when you got the duplicates?
I'm not actually sure how to check, but when did you last upgrade?
I'm using the one on www.mediarover.tv, 2.0 I believe it is.

Yes, that's true. Media Rover actually accomplished getting a couple of episodes that I've missed over the years with torrents. But it's so aggravating that every morning I wake up it has downloaded like 6 episodes of show A, 3 episodes of show B. And they where all the same episode. I don't get this at all when I use the RSS, and that's why I got forced to switch back. It consumes like 100GB extra space (which I've now cleaned up) after only a months usage.
kierse

Post by kierse »

Lockzi wrote: Unfortunately I've been forced to go back since in the last week or so, it has constantly started to add the same episode like 7-10 times duplicates.
Lockzi wrote: But it's so aggravating that every morning I wake up it has downloaded like 6 episodes of show A, 3 episodes of show B. And they where all the same episode. I don't get this at all when I use the RSS, and that's why I got forced to switch back. It consumes like 100GB extra space (which I've now cleaned up) after only a months usage.
First of all, I would upgrade to the latest code base from the project page.  There were a couple of bugs in the tvnzb.com and MyTvNZB plugin code that have been fixed since the 0.2.0 release.  You can download the latest code here: http://github.com/kierse/mediarover/archives/master

Is MR correctly sorting the episodes once they've been downloaded?  The reason I ask is that it uses the series on disk (along with all the episodes in said series folder) when deciding if an nzb should be scheduled for download.  If MR is looking at your series folder, and it sees that you are missing episodes 1, 2, and 3 for series A, it will schedule them for download.  If they are not being properly sorted once downloaded, the next time MR runs, it will likely try and schedule episodes 1, 2, and 3 for download again.

Is this happening for all the shows you watch or just a select few?  For some reason, tvnzb.com (and therefore MyTvNZB) shorten the name of certain nzbs.  This caused problems for MR when it attempted to sort the episodes on disk.  The nzb name didn't match anything already existing on disk so it would create a folder matching the shortened series name.  Along with the recent bug fixes to the tvnzb/MyTvNZB plugins, I introduced the concept of the series alias.  If this is what seems to be happening to you, try declaring an alias for the problematic series and see if that fixes your problem.

Kierse
Lockzi

Post by Lockzi »

kierse wrote:
Lockzi wrote: Unfortunately I've been forced to go back since in the last week or so, it has constantly started to add the same episode like 7-10 times duplicates.
Lockzi wrote: But it's so aggravating that every morning I wake up it has downloaded like 6 episodes of show A, 3 episodes of show B. And they where all the same episode. I don't get this at all when I use the RSS, and that's why I got forced to switch back. It consumes like 100GB extra space (which I've now cleaned up) after only a months usage.
First of all, I would upgrade to the latest code base from the project page.  There were a couple of bugs in the tvnzb.com and MyTvNZB plugin code that have been fixed since the 0.2.0 release.  You can download the latest code here: http://github.com/kierse/mediarover/archives/master

Is MR correctly sorting the episodes once they've been downloaded?  The reason I ask is that it uses the series on disk (along with all the episodes in said series folder) when deciding if an nzb should be scheduled for download.  If MR is looking at your series folder, and it sees that you are missing episodes 1, 2, and 3 for series A, it will schedule them for download.  If they are not being properly sorted once downloaded, the next time MR runs, it will likely try and schedule episodes 1, 2, and 3 for download again.

Is this happening for all the shows you watch or just a select few?  For some reason, tvnzb.com (and therefore MyTvNZB) shorten the name of certain nzbs.  This caused problems for MR when it attempted to sort the episodes on disk.  The nzb name didn't match anything already existing on disk so it would create a folder matching the shortened series name.  Along with the recent bug fixes to the tvnzb/MyTvNZB plugins, I introduced the concept of the series alias.  If this is what seems to be happening to you, try declaring an alias for the problematic series and see if that fixes your problem.

Kierse
I'll try upgrading to the latest version tomorrow.

Basically it sorts them as... Daily shows where as they actually are weekly, like numb3rs, smallville and so on. Weekly episodes. Also, it doesn't add the episode name to any (I believe it did that before).

I had alot of trouble with http://www.tvnzb.com/ downloading episodes with integrated subtitles, therefore I removed that as a source and mainly rely on Newzbin search and NZBs in addition to MyTvNZB, but since you are saying that MyTvNZB is based upon TVNZB, I might be better of removing MyTvNZB as well and see if that helps.

What is the recommended MR run frequency? I run it every 15 minutes which might be waaay to short. But on the other hand, if you are downloading a perfectly free open source ( never warez hehe ;) ) Linux distribution that is, let's say 15GB... That means that the episodes will be added to queue over and over again until it has plowed though that 15gb + 1 instance of that episode. If that download of 15gb took 6 hours, imagine 24 instances of that same episode in your queue.

Not fun at all.

It seems like the only solid solution is to check what already is in queue, as well as on the hard drive before adding it to SAB queue.
rollingeyeball
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by rollingeyeball »

Lockzi, Definitely seems like you arn't using the latest release. I'd urge to to download the very latest like Kierse said, and spend some time configuring.
I've had all the issues you mention in the past but they are all fixed.

A few points of interest:
Sab TV sorting should be off.
Make sure to use mediarovers sorting script. Instructions are on mediarover.tv I think.
Make sure each series has only one folder.
Keep sabs own duplicate checking enabled.

15minutes is a good runtime, in my opinion.

And MR *does* check what's in the queue. This function was pretty buggy in earlier releases, but it's solid now.
kierse

Post by kierse »

Lockzi wrote: Basically it sorts them as... Daily shows where as they actually are weekly, like numb3rs, smallville and so on. Weekly episodes.
I believe this was one of the issues that was fixed since the 0.2.0 release
Lockzi wrote: Also, it doesn't add the episode name to any (I believe it did that before).
MR gets the episode titles from the nzb name itself.  Currently, newzbin is the only indexing service that includes the episode titles in the nzb.  Therefore, you'll only get episode titles if you download your nzb's from newzbin.  In the future, I hope to add support for grabbing more episode specific data (such as episode title) from a third party site such as tvrage or thetvdb.
Lockzi wrote: I had alot of trouble with http://www.tvnzb.com/ downloading episodes with integrated subtitles, therefore I removed that as a source and mainly rely on Newzbin search and NZBs in addition to MyTvNZB, but since you are saying that MyTvNZB is based upon TVNZB, I might be better of removing MyTvNZB as well and see if that helps.
As far as I'm aware, MyTvNZB is just a wrapper around the tvnzb.com RSS feeds.  I don't have a lot of experience with tvnzb or MyTvNZB so I could be wrong here
Lockzi wrote: What is the recommended MR run frequency? I run it every 15 minutes which might be waaay to short.
I run MR every 15 minutes which seems to work well
Lockzi wrote: But on the other hand, if you are downloading a perfectly free open source ( never warez hehe ;) ) Linux distribution that is, let's say 15GB... That means that the episodes will be added to queue over and over again until it has plowed though that 15gb + 1 instance of that episode. If that download of 15gb took 6 hours, imagine 24 instances of that same episode in your queue.
Before scheduling an nzb for download, MR checks several things one of which is the SABnzbd download queue.  As rollingeyeball mentioned, there were problems with the queue checking code in previous releases but it does seems to be working much more reliably now.  Addressing the issue of an nzb being scheduled multiple times, you can do two things: one, set the flag in SABnzbd that ignores duplicate nzbs.  Two, set the nzb backup_dir option (in the queue subsection) that points to the SABnzbd backup dir.  These options prevents SAB from downloading the same nzb more than once and MR from trying to schedule the same nzb more than once.

Hope that helps,
Kierse
wally007
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by wally007 »

yes , MyTvNZB is using RSS feed from tvnzbd.com. I think for software like MediaRover ( correct me if i'm worng , i havent used Media Rover YET ) MyTvNZB should not be used. Only reason MyTvNZB exists is to make it easy for end user to pick shows from tvnzbd.com. Before MyTvNZB existed user had to set up filters for each show in sab. Ive been using MyTvNZB for 6 months now and it generally it works quite well for well known shows but it all depends on uploader to upload show to correct category. ( for example i havent been getting extreme home makeover  episodes because uploader didnt upload it to the " Extreme Makeover : Home edition "  category but to the " Misc: Misc Shows " catagory for past few weeks )

Thanks for updates kierse !!! Cant wait to try it out once it has GUI.
Last edited by wally007 on November 17th, 2009, 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
krogaw
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by krogaw »

First thing: Thank you for this great tool!

One problem I'm running into is, that I add "metadata" to my season folders e.g.: "S01 (720p EN)"
An "ignore_metadata" for seasons would be great. I explained it here:

http://github.com/kierse/mediarover/issues#issue/21
rollingeyeball
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by rollingeyeball »

I started on a little (not so much) guide for Media Rover, but I lost motivation for it so I thought I'd just post what I had.
This was going to be a nicely detailed FAQ but somewhere it turned into a noob friendly installation guide.

I had some hours spare.

Anyway, here it is. Maybe it'll help someone out but I don't claim it to be readable or complete or accurate :P

http://pastebin.com/m35e014ed

I do still feel like MR needs a good FAQ, so I might do one of those in the next .. week or so.
For my own benefit more than anyone elses (I like notes) but I'll probably post it up if I do it.
Last edited by rollingeyeball on November 22nd, 2009, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wally007
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by wally007 »

rollingeyeball wrote: I started on a little (not so much) guide for Media Rover, but I lost motivation for it so I thought I'd just post what I had.
This was going to be a nicely detailed FAQ but somewhere it turned into a noob friendly installation guide.

I had some hours spare.

Anyway, here it is. Maybe it'll help someone out but I don't claim it to be readable or complete or accurate :P

http://pastebin.com/m35e014ed

I do still feel like MR needs a good FAQ, so I might do one of those in the next .. week or so.
For my own benefit more than anyone elses (I like notes) but I'll probably post it up if I do it.
thanks for the post. just read through it and damn that's pain to set up. i can just imagine how mad i'd be if my hard drive crashed and i didnt have config files backed up :-)

still , thanks for posting it  and if i feel someday that i have too much hair on my head, i'll surely use it :-)
rollingeyeball
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by rollingeyeball »

It's not a pain at all. It just seems that way :)
Really it's a 15 minute process that is very easy. =/

Sorry to have put you off MR
daniel_owen_uk
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by daniel_owen_uk »

LOL, to be honest it's easy to setup once you know how.

You have to put;

Where you keep your media

What shows you watch (and the seasons to ignore)

Where you and going to get the RSS feed from.

And what options you want.

But a GUI would be great for those with a little less config confidence.
wally007
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by wally007 »

rollingeyeball wrote: It's not a pain at all. It just seems that way :)
Really it's a 15 minute process that is very easy. =/

Sorry to have put you off MR
well i'm coming off Windows background but now running Mac OSX 10.6.2 so i'm kinda lost with that as well.

" What shows you watch (and the seasons to ignore) " -> i thought Media Rover scanned what shows you have in your destination and automaticly "adds" it to the watched list.