Sick Beard (ALPHA) - Download/sort/rename episodes, XBMC/growl integration, more

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
midgetspy

Sick Beard (ALPHA) - Download/sort/rename episodes, XBMC/growl integration, more

Post by midgetspy »

I have been working on this project for a while and it is getting a little more stable so I'm looking for people who'd like to test it out. It is currently in alpha so only experienced users should attempt to use it.

THIS RELEASE IS NOT FOR NEWBIES!

As explained on the page below, I originally developed this intending to integrate it directly into SAB as a plugin. I still hope to do that eventually but since there is no simple SAB plugin API yet I have designed the program to look and work as similarly to SAB as possible, with the hope that integration later will be easier. For now it is a standalone app with a modified SAB classic skin :0)

Issue Tracker & Windows binaries: http://code.google.com/p/sickbeard/
Source: https://github.com/midgetspy/Sick-Beard/
Info/forums: http://www.sickbeard.com/
Support/chat: #sickbeard on irc.freenode.net

NEW WEBSITE : http://www.sickbeard.com/   <<<< Also an active forum available !!!

Sick Beard is a PVR for newsgroup users (with limited torrent support). It watches for new episodes of your favorite shows and when they are posted it downloads them, sorts and renames them, and optionally generates metadata for them. It currently supports Newzbin, TVBinz, NZBs.org, and EZTV.it and retrieves show information from theTVDB.com and TVRage.com.

Features include:
  • automatic torrent/NZB download for new episodes
  • XBMC library updates and NFO/TBN generation
  • renames episode files for any show
  • sends NZBs directly to SABnzbd, prioritizes and categorizes them properly
  • available for any platform, uses simple HTTP interface
  • can notify XBMC or use Growl to notify any OSX/Windows PC when new episodes are downloaded
  • specials and double episode support
There are a few docs on the google code page but you will have to figure it out yourself for the most part (or ask). Before you submit any bugs be sure you have read the few docs that do exist (http://code.google.com/p/sickbeard/w/list). If you find a bug, make SURE you include:

1) the full python traceback
2) your log file
3) what you did to cause the error with as much detail as possible, including your relevant settings, the show/episode if applicable, what time the error occurred (so I can find it in the log file), and exactly what you clicked/did to get the error
4) which revision you have, your OS, your newsgroup client, etc.

The vast majority of the test time logged against Sick Beard has been on Win32, so I'd appreciate some feedback from people using different OSes.

I want to get the current feature set stable before I start adding more, so feature requests will be denied in general. Feel free to add them to the google code page or post them here but unless they're really simple I probably won't be adding them until I get a stable beta out.
inpheaux wrote: ============= ATTENTION =============
============= ATTENTION =============
I just cleaned up a ton of posts in this thread that were blatantly ignoring our rules.

Specifically: Don't talk about what you're downloading from Usenet.

We're aware that depending on where you are on the planet, what you're doing may not be a legal gray area, but this is a forum-wide rule we have, so please follow it.

Repeated future infractions will result in a temporary or permanent ban. You've been warned, and a warning will be appended to the OP.
Last edited by midgetspy on December 3rd, 2010, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
rollingeyeball
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Sick Beard (ALPHA) - Download/sort/rename episodes, XBMC/growl integration, more

Post by rollingeyeball »

I was looking at this the other day and I was considering posting here about it myself!

It looks pretty good, so congratulations. The day i was looking you made like 5 updates in a day.  That's impressive.

Currently I'm using Media rover to download my episodes and I'm more than happy with that, but i think I'll be trying sickbeard (just for fun) in the next week or so.

Thanks for posting.
switch

Re: Sick Beard (ALPHA) - Download/sort/rename episodes, XBMC/growl integration, more

Post by switch »

Looks good, shall have to try it out later.

********************************************************************************

Please note when posting in this thread: DO NOT POST ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOWNLOADING
This includes filenames and screenshots. Please be sure to sanitise these before posting.

********************************************************************************
Last edited by switch on February 20th, 2010, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wally007
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Sick Beard (ALPHA) - Download/sort/rename episodes, XBMC/growl integration,

Post by wally007 »

i wil also try it out as soon as this weekend. Now i cant wait ... i tried to set up media rover on 2 occasions and failed ( command line is NOT my friend ) so i hope i get through this.

Is there MAC version anywhere ? I found Windows version under downloads section

Thanks !!
Last edited by wally007 on December 8th, 2009, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midgetspy

Post by midgetspy »

To use it on a mac you'll have to check the source out from SVN and run SickBeard.py directly with Python 2.6+. I have read that there is a way to create executables for Macs similar to py2exe but since I have no way of testing it I haven't tried.
wally007
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by wally007 »

ouch , another command line hehe i'll wait then :-)

You DID warn in your post that its not for newbies :-)

Thanks for response.
RageX

Post by RageX »

Sounds sick, Does it work with 0.5's new authentication ?
midgetspy

Post by midgetspy »

wally007 wrote: ouch , another command line hehe i'll wait then :-)

You DID warn in your post that its not for newbies :-)

Thanks for response.
It shouldn't be very hard to run it with python... just open a terminal up in the Sick Beard folder and type "python SickBeard.py".
RageX wrote: Sounds sick, Does it work with 0.5's new authentication ?
I believe so, yes. The direct to sab only works with 0.5 and above, black hole should work with any sab version.
bnevets27
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by bnevets27 »

Not sure of exactly what feedback you are looking for. But I'll post what I have found so far. First off this looks brilliant!! Looks very good so far. Now what I have observed so far.

- There is no browse button to browse to your tv shows folder (not a big deal at all, and I'm sure your aware)
- When you add a Root show folder it will give you the name of the show and the only option is to hit submit (I assume because it found the thetvdb ID). Not sure why would would have to hit submit when there is no other option? A skip or ignore button might be good. BTW I'm using XBMC tvshow.nfo. I understand the need to have user input when a show need to be chosen.

I'm not sure if you want this to be posted on google code or not because I'm not sure if you are aware of these things seeing as this is alpha.
I have had some bugs adding shows with the Root show folder. And there's a bug with refreshing a show also. I know this is completely useless to you but I'm working on sending you a proper bug report.

Having played with it a little more since I wrote the first impression above and I have to say, it was like christmas opening all the tabs and see all the functionality this program has. I don't know what to say....VERY good work. To anyone who is curious, don't even think twice. It is stupid easy to install and configure. midgetspy has done a good job with the doc's on google code, everything you need to know is there.

I can't wait for this to get polished.

Thank you midgetspy
psh

Post by psh »

Is this tools englisch only TV Show?

good work thx
midgetspy

Post by midgetspy »

psh: It's meant for english only, yes.

bnevets27:

Yes it's the same as SAB, there is no browse button for folders - unfortunately it is a relatively huge amount of work to make a browse button (you would think it would be easy, hehe).

The reason it gives you the name of the show is because often your folder name won't find the results on theTVDB. If you have a tvshow.nfo with all the necessary info in it already then you shouldn't have to pick at all.

I look forward to those bug reports - adding shows admittedly doesn't get as much coverage from me as it should. Feedback like this is good, I'm open for any and all feedback - usability issues, missing features, bug reports, things it does well... whatever. It is just good to hear how other people are using it since I only get one perspective when I'm testing it myself. I'm glad you like it :0)

Nic
Last edited by inpheaux on April 26th, 2010, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
opet

Post by opet »

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "SickBeard.py", line 35, in <module>
    from sickbeard import db, webserve
  File "/Applications/SickBeard/sickbeard/webserve.py", line 28, in <module>
    from Cheetah.Template import Template
ImportError: No module named Cheetah.Template
is the output I get when trying to run in Terminal on OSX 10.6. Any suggestions?
midgetspy

Post by midgetspy »

opet wrote:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "SickBeard.py", line 35, in <module>
    from sickbeard import db, webserve
  File "/Applications/SickBeard/sickbeard/webserve.py", line 28, in <module>
    from Cheetah.Template import Template
ImportError: No module named Cheetah.Template
is the output I get when trying to run in Terminal on OSX 10.6. Any suggestions?
Install Cheetah (link on the google code page)
wally007
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by wally007 »

humm i cant find cheetah mac osx build on that linked page  ?
Last edited by wally007 on December 10th, 2009, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerame20

Post by jerame20 »

awesome app i have been using episode butler but like the look of yours better.

do the predownloaded eps in sd get deleted when an hd version is found?